An urgent problem with a new build

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Power
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2012 3:59:49 PM

I just built a computer for a friend of mine, but there is a problem. The problem is that the computer won't start unless the GPU is receiving power and it won't receive power correctly. For the GPU to be receiving power, the 6-pin PCI-E power connector has to be positioned in a way that someone would have to be putting pressure on it, and if you were to let go the whole computer would shut itself off. It is a very strange problem. How do I fix it?

Specs:
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Quad Core @3.2 GHz CPU (Hyper 212 Evo)
ASRock 970 Extreme3 Motherboard
8GB (2x4GB) Kingston HyperX Black ram.
ASUS Nvidia GTX 650 GPU
NZXT M59 Case
Antec BP550 550w PSU
2x Cooler Master Top Exhaust 120mm Case Fans (If that matters)

I believe the problem is the motherboard, is that correct?

More about : urgent problem build

December 30, 2012 4:23:11 PM

Do you have to apply pressure to the power cord or to the motherboard? You cut have a short coming from the power supply.
m
l
December 30, 2012 6:13:39 PM

No, nothing is shorting out the motherboard. To make the computer even start I have to slightly pull out on the PCI-E power connector.
m
l
Related resources
December 30, 2012 6:22:25 PM

hello... examine the pci-e power connector... are the socket female pins need to be pushed back into the connector housing? Do you need to adjust/bend the pins openings so they are smaller for tighter connection?
m
l
December 30, 2012 6:39:26 PM

Do you mean the system won't start at all or are you getting a beep code that indicates no video card connected (assuming you have a speaker attached to your mobo)

So far it just sounds like a physical issue with either the pci-e plug on the PSU, or the power socket on the card.

Test the card in another machine if you have one available.
m
l
December 30, 2012 7:25:05 PM

quilciri said:
Do you mean the system won't start at all or are you getting a beep code that indicates no video card connected (assuming you have a speaker attached to your mobo)

So far it just sounds like a physical issue with either the pci-e plug on the PSU, or the power socket on the card.

Test the card in another machine if you have one available.

The system doesn't start at all. Right above the connector on the GPU there is a green LED that turns on when it is properly receiving power. I have to slightly pull out on the cable for it to turn on and the GPU to be receiving power, and that is when the system will turn on, but if I let go of the cable, then the GPU stops receiving power and the entire system shuts itself off.
m
l
December 30, 2012 10:06:37 PM

Is there a pc speaker connected to the motherboard? If so, take the video card out and boot the system to verify the platform is good. You should get a "no video" beep code.

If you do, or if there is not pc speaker on your machine, test the video card with a known good PSU. If you find the same issue, it's the power socket on the card.
m
l
!