Alright Guys, This is a tough one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gosu-Vu

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011
Alright, where do I begin. I'm in canada through Telus for my internet service. We got it suspended back around 3 months ago. Thing is, it still worked but would randomly disconnect all the time. 2 Weeks later we called got it reactivated, they sent us a new router as well, it worked for about a month with no problems. After that the internet would randomly stop working again, not only that, we would get massive ping spikes and they would stay high, i'm talking on Day Of Defeat Source I would normally be about 70-100, it will randomly start going up to 300-800 for no reason, no downloads, no virus, me and my brother both have fresh operating systems installed with just the 1 game. Windows updates we're always finished then turned off so it's not that either.

We called the internet company about it, they sent us another new modem, still happens, made no difference. Internet will work for about a hour or so, start lagging, then completely freeze up and stop. Only way to fix it is to shut the modem off entirely and turn it back on to reconnect then it works just fine for a certain amount of time again. We're at a total loss, I have no idea what would be causing this and i'm almost entirely positive it's nothing on our end. I've hooked up all the cables, even put those jacks on the phone in case there is noise in ur line, everything. Still nothing, same problem with every router ever since we called and got is suspended.(Big mistake i guess?). But yea, that's about the jist of it, oh ya, and my local area connection says the ipv6 has no internet connection? Am i wrong but i'm pretty sure before it said it was connected... Also it says it has a speed of 1GB.... before it was only 100mb..... so uh ya...

areaconnection.png

Speed test results......

speedtest1.png

Here it is now that's its randomly spiking and super slow..... this is a few hours later from when i posted this thread.....

speedtestlag.png

and again
speedtestlag2.png

And one last one... To really show how good this telus service is.
speedtestlag3.png

The speed basically keeps slowing down until it doesn't even work anymore, Only way to fix it is to restart the modem then it's fine again for a couple hours.... then it keeps repeating...

Says it's bell even though i'm through telus. Might be a glitch on the website, not sure. I'll try and get a screenshot posted as soon as possible when it starts lagging out of the speed test again, it makes no sense.

Solution
Good choice, I've hassled with DSL providers in the past for over a year before they finally come out and test the line and determine that it is faulty -- they just try to avoid it as long as possible.

Gosu-Vu

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

There is no router, It's just a modem directly to 2 PC's. Mine and my brothers, I highly doubt its a bad router issue because they already sent us 2 different routers, each one was a completely different model.

RealBeast

Titan
Had similar issues some years back and after months of techs coming out, one figured out that it was definitively a problem from the provider -- after multiple tries and attempts to re-provision the connection they finally figured out that there was a poor line connection and had to replace some of their gear distant to my house.

Since it has been a problem since your re-connection, sounds like a similar issue -- call support and get tech services out there checking the line quality every day until it works properly.

Gosu-Vu

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

Yep, spent about 3 hours on the phone with them today. They even transfered me to tech 2 level support and they still couldn't find anything wrong, they tried switching me to a different profile and everything and still nothing. They told me to call back if it happens again and it did, so i called back and they are sending out a network tech to come tomorrow to test everything and try to figure out the issue.

Gosu-Vu

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

Then why would the modem have 4 Ethernet cable plug ins...? It has to be a modem/router combo then right?

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, it is a combo and should have DHCP active by default, but you can check by entering the default address -- look at your manual, something like 192.168.1.1 with user name and password per default unless you changed them.

Insure that the WAN settings show your carrier and the LAN settings show your two computers.

Gosu-Vu

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2011

Yea it does, it honestly has to be my internet provider, because i even had a tech come down and install a new phone jack and everything so all the cables are super short, still has problems, i think i'm going to cancel this and switch to shaw, i can get a high speed extreme 25mbs connection internet for 29.95 for 6 months.... and the modem only costs 60$

Status
Not open for further replies.