SMITHSONGA

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
I have a Dell XPS420 from 2008.

Looking to potentially upgrade with a homebuilt. I have no issue building, but unsure on best method to pick components for compatibility and value.

I do game with this computer on a 22" LCD @ 1600 resolution, so need some graphics power. Currently using a HD38xx

It has a Processor, E6850, 3.0, 4MB, Core Duo-Conroe, G0. I just bumped up to 6gb ram.

I just added a 128gb SSD...so I can reuse that. and it has 2 320gb drives that I RAID...could probably reuse those.

I assume reusing the case is hopeless? What processor is a good value right now? Motherboard?

I checked out the PCpartspicker...and just sorted by Rating and choose a reasonable priced value. But didnt really know what I was doing.

bluray reader needed as I rip DVDs to a NAS for streaming.

I was originally thinking $300...but it appears $500 may be more realistic.

I already have Win8 Pro. dont need wireless.

Thoughts? appreciate it.

That's a BTX format case; I wouldn't put any more into it except for maybe a better video card that will work with your dell ps. It's probably worth more if you sell it intact on ebay. Atx boards won't fit without taking a dremel tool to it; better to buy a new case, ps, etc and start over. Dell had a terrific deal on the inspiron 660 desktop system a few days ago with an i5 cpu, but that's over. You might see some more deals in mid January with Dell and HP on their websites.

Joseph_Mix_God

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015
Hey dude! I just ran into the same problem. I have the exact same computer and am using it for gaming. Its should be good where it is. I am getting a GPU and will put a link here if it works out. The GPU is an NVIDIA EVGA 750 TI SC, fairly new, fairly powerful, and fairly efficient. It should be able to use your 375 WATT PSU there so I will get back to you if it works. Come in tomorrow! There is also the FTW version of it which requires a better PSU so if you want it, you can upgrade it.

Joseph_Mix_God

Reputable
Mar 22, 2015

So I was able to upgrade my dell with an nvidia evga gtx gefore 750 ti sc.
It runs alot better than before on my dual monitor setup and can handle all my games at max settings, which also includes a game called beamng.drive. It is a very graphics intensive game and for it to run at 30-50 fps is a miracle.
And even if you arent happy still with the performance of it, you can still use the gpu or return it to amazon for a refund.