USB1 or 2 - how to tell?

I recently added a USB2 PCI card to my USB1 motherboard. XP (SP2) detected
it and apparently installed it ok. The device is there in "Computer
management", but it just says "ALi PCB to USB Open Host Controller" - there
are no "USB2" devices under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". The drivers
associated with the card (.../System32 folder) are all named usbxxxxx.sys
(all dated 03/08/04). How can I tell if these are USB2 drivers or not?

TIA
--
Regards

Jeff
4 answers Last reply
More about usb1 tell

    Does the word "Enhanced" appear anywhere?
    www.coribright.com

    "Jeff Layman" <jmlaymanthetape@tcp.co.uk> wrote in message
    >I recently added a USB2 PCI card to my USB1 motherboard. XP (SP2) detected
    >it and apparently installed it ok. The device is there in "Computer
    >management", but it just says "ALi PCB to USB Open Host Controller" - there
    >are no "USB2" devices under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". The
    >drivers associated with the card (.../System32 folder) are all named
    >usbxxxxx.sys (all dated 03/08/04). How can I tell if these are USB2
    >drivers or not?
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Jeff

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Yes - only once, in "Standard enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller". But the
    driver for that is Bonifay.sys, which is a Freecom driver (I assume for my
    Freecom external USB2 drive). That driver also appears to be associated
    with all the other USB devices (but then so are several usbxxxxx.sys
    drivers).

    I should say that a 55 Mb folder (OE6 *.dbx files!) was copied from my C:
    drive to the External HD in 15 seconds. That seems faster than a USB1 link.

    --
    Regards

    Jeff
    > Does the word "Enhanced" appear anywhere?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > www.coribright.com
    >
    > "Jeff Layman" <jmlaymanthetape@tcp.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>I recently added a USB2 PCI card to my USB1 motherboard. XP (SP2)
    >>detected it and apparently installed it ok. The device is there in
    >>"Computer management", but it just says "ALi PCB to USB Open Host
    >>Controller" - there are no "USB2" devices under "Universal Serial Bus
    >>Controllers". The drivers associated with the card (.../System32 folder)
    >>are all named usbxxxxx.sys (all dated 03/08/04). How can I tell if these
    >>are USB2 drivers or not?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> --
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Jeff

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    For XP and above, there are three inbox miniport drivers for the USB
    controller, usbehci.sys, usbohci.sys, and usbuhci.sys. These drivers are for
    support of controllers supporting the enhanced host, universal host, or open
    host controller specifications respectively. Look for your controller in the
    device manager tree and check the driver list. If you see usbehci.sys
    listed, it is 2.0. Based on the information you provided in your post, you
    should also see the usbohci driver since your controller supports OHCI.

    Rick

    > Yes - only once, in "Standard enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller". But
    the
    > driver for that is Bonifay.sys, which is a Freecom driver (I assume for my
    > Freecom external USB2 drive). That driver also appears to be associated
    > with all the other USB devices (but then so are several usbxxxxx.sys
    > drivers).
    >
    > I should say that a 55 Mb folder (OE6 *.dbx files!) was copied from my C:
    > drive to the External HD in 15 seconds. That seems faster than a USB1
    link.

    > --
    > Regards
    >
    > Jeff
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > > Does the word "Enhanced" appear anywhere?
    > > --
    > > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    > > www.coribright.com
    > >
    > > "Jeff Layman" <jmlaymanthetape@tcp.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >>I recently added a USB2 PCI card to my USB1 motherboard. XP (SP2)
    > >>detected it and apparently installed it ok. The device is there in
    > >>"Computer management", but it just says "ALi PCB to USB Open Host
    > >>Controller" - there are no "USB2" devices under "Universal Serial Bus
    > >>Controllers". The drivers associated with the card (.../System32
    folder)
    > >>are all named usbxxxxx.sys (all dated 03/08/04). How can I tell if
    these
    > >>are USB2 drivers or not?
    > >>
    > >> TIA
    > >> --
    > >> Regards
    > >>
    > >> Jeff

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev (More info?)

    Yes, thanks for the info. I do have usbohci.sys as a driver for ALi PCI to
    USB Open Host Controller, but not for Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host
    Contoller (that has usbehci.sys).

    OK, I'm happy now that I do have USB2 working!

    --
    Regards

    Jeff
    "Rick Brooks" <rick_brooks.nospam@vibren.com> wrote in message

    > For XP and above, there are three inbox miniport drivers for the USB
    > controller, usbehci.sys, usbohci.sys, and usbuhci.sys. These drivers are
    > for
    > support of controllers supporting the enhanced host, universal host, or
    > open
    > host controller specifications respectively. Look for your controller in
    > the
    > device manager tree and check the driver list. If you see usbehci.sys
    > listed, it is 2.0. Based on the information you provided in your post, you
    > should also see the usbohci driver since your controller supports OHCI.
    >
    > Rick
    >

    > "Jeff Layman" <jmlaymanthetape@tcp.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Yes - only once, in "Standard enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller". But
    > the
    >> driver for that is Bonifay.sys, which is a Freecom driver (I assume for
    >> my
    >> Freecom external USB2 drive). That driver also appears to be associated
    >> with all the other USB devices (but then so are several usbxxxxx.sys
    >> drivers).
    >>
    >> I should say that a 55 Mb folder (OE6 *.dbx files!) was copied from my C:
    >> drive to the External HD in 15 seconds. That seems faster than a USB1
    > link.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Regards
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >> > Does the word "Enhanced" appear anywhere?
    >> > --
    >> > Cari (MS-MVP) Windows Client - Printing/Imaging and Hardware
    >> > www.coribright.com
    >> >
    >> > "Jeff Layman" <jmlaymanthetape@tcp.co.uk> wrote in message
    > folder)
    > these