Sign in with
Your question

Crossfire my Powercolor Radeon HD 6950

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 15, 2012 6:06:27 AM

Hello, I am new here and wish to ask a question. I have a Powercolor Radeon HD 6950 and wish to buy another 6950 to crossfire. (My powercolor and motherboard support it) Can any 6950 work for it like lets say a Sapphire AMD ATI RADEON HD 6950? or does it have to be another Powercolor graphics card?
November 15, 2012 11:03:56 AM

Brand does not matter only has to be HD6950.
m
l
November 15, 2012 11:08:48 AM

Any 6950 will work. I do advise against Crossfire (or SLI) as it has its issues. I always recommend getting the fastest single graphics card you can afford. Sell your card and get a newer one in other words.
m
l
Related resources
November 15, 2012 11:32:22 AM

maestro0428 said:
Any 6950 will work. I do advise against Crossfire (or SLI) as it has its issues. I always recommend getting the fastest single graphics card you can afford. Sell your card and get a newer one in other words.

+1

It's sad but true. Your card (and mine) is already marching toward outdated - the newest games just run better on Kepler and GCN. And like Maestro says, CrossfireX is really not worth the hassle and headache. Whatever budget you have, add it to the $150-180 you can get for your card on popular auction website and get yourself a nice GTX 670 or HD 7970. You'll get the same performance from those cards as you would two HD 6950s. And your PSU and components will be much cooler and happier.
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:13:13 PM

Which newer models of radeons do you guys recommend that can match up to me crossfireing? I can get one like mine for 140 which with my current financial, its worth it. I am not sure how much time It will take to sell mine
m
l
November 15, 2012 1:21:38 PM

You could sell yours in 3 days on eBay. That's what I would do (and that's what I do with my old equipment). Look on there and see what your card is going for right now. Find out what your budget would end up being and get back to us for a card recommendation. I would go with a 7950 personally if I went with the red team.
m
l
November 15, 2012 3:08:24 PM

I think I may just do the crossfire. Reason being is even if I sell mine which no one knows how long since iv seen some just like mine, a lot actually, that havent sold but then my pc wont have any display since it does not come with onboard video. After that I would have to buy more with that money and perhapes more. It is easier to just buy one for around 150-170 and cross fire...thanks for suggestions guys :) 
m
l
November 15, 2012 3:12:08 PM

On a side note if I did sell it it would be for 150-170 like the rest on ebay which if u add another 150 I want to buy off ebay for 150 it adds to about 300 which is what I originally payed the powecolor one for and I honeslty cant afford anything above 180 of my own money mixed with the one assuming I sell it which comes around lets say 300-330. Corre t me if im wrong but could that extra bit of money buy me that much better of a card then the one I have now?
m
l
November 15, 2012 3:21:48 PM

Yes, you could get an HD 7950, which overclocks 25% or more. That would get you the same performance as a Crossfire setup.

If it were me, I'd put 3 days handling time, and wait til the money was in my Paypal, then buy the card - wait til it got to me, then ship the old card. Really shouldn't take more than a few days to get to you if you buy from Newegg.
m
l
November 16, 2012 12:33:26 AM

jessterman21 said:
Yes, you could get an HD 7950, which overclocks 25% or more. That would get you the same performance as a Crossfire setup.

If it were me, I'd put 3 days handling time, and wait til the money was in my Paypal, then buy the card - wait til it got to me, then ship the old card. Really shouldn't take more than a few days to get to you if you buy from Newegg.

Is it really that much better?
m
l
November 16, 2012 1:34:47 AM

A single card vs. two cards? Yes. I cannot speak from experience, so if you want to give it a shot, go for it. Just understand that newer cards will always handle newer games better than older cards. And CrossfireX often does not work with games upon release, or has performance issues. Power and heat is also an issue. The top card will be the hottest, and you'd better have a good 600w PSU and a case with plenty of airflow.

And if you have time, read this whole article - it talks a lot about the number one complaint from dual-card-config owners: microstuttering. http://techreport.com/review/21516/inside-the-second-a-...

Here's a review of the HD 7950 compared with your current card. http://techreport.com/review/22384/amd-radeon-hd-7950-g...
Keep in mind that the newest drivers have added at least 10% performance since this review, and the Boost version can be found for $300, and it's 10% better than stock. Not to mention the epic overclocking headroom... If you buy an HD 7950 Boost and overclock it to its max, it will still be cooler, draw less power, and get better performance than Crossfired HD 6950s.
m
l
November 16, 2012 5:09:07 AM

jessterman21 said:
A single card vs. two cards? Yes. I cannot speak from experience, so if you want to give it a shot, go for it. Just understand that newer cards will always handle newer games better than older cards. And CrossfireX often does not work with games upon release, or has performance issues. Power and heat is also an issue. The top card will be the hottest, and you'd better have a good 600w PSU and a case with plenty of airflow.

And if you have time, read this whole article - it talks a lot about the number one complaint from dual-card-config owners: microstuttering. http://techreport.com/review/21516/inside-the-second-a-...

Here's a review of the HD 7950 compared with your current card. http://techreport.com/review/22384/amd-radeon-hd-7950-g...
Keep in mind that the newest drivers have added at least 10% performance since this review, and the Boost version can be found for $300, and it's 10% better than stock. Not to mention the epic overclocking headroom... If you buy an HD 7950 Boost and overclock it to its max, it will still be cooler, draw less power, and get better performance than Crossfired HD 6950s.

Thank you it was very informal, so is the 7950 and 7970 only main ones that are better then my current one? Radeons confuses me since some have higher model numbers but cost less then others so I want to know which one is bets for me to get.
m
l
November 17, 2012 2:37:06 AM

I've been running crossfire for years without any issues whatsoever,right now i am running 6950's,BF3 ultra 1920x1200,works great,I've thought about upgrading,but really,why.

and here's another..bible:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/301?vs=300
m
l
November 17, 2012 8:16:13 PM

Much better cooler on the Sapphire card and higher std clock.
m
l
November 17, 2012 9:41:19 PM

rolli59 said:
Much better cooler on the Sapphire card and higher std clock.

I would have to agree, lets see I think this may be it other ones are too much or some other issues. If anyone can recommend a better one for same or lower price, please do!
m
l
November 17, 2012 11:43:57 PM

Ah can't find it on amazon and newegg taxed me another 25 bucks lol
m
l
!