Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New build which I need to pack to move to another state

Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2012 9:21:47 PM

I could not find a place where to ask this question, but first let me explain. A few months ago I built a new PC and kept most of the packages and boxes. Now I will need to move out of California, and I want to know how to pack my recent PC build.

I was thinking to remove the video card, the heat-sink, and all the memory before I pack it. I think that by removing these items from the mobo, I can prevent damage during traveling. Anything else I need to do to prevent damage? Should I remove anything else? Should I use bubble-wrap inside the case, a Corsair Obsidian Series Black 650D, to avoid things from moving during travel? Let me know what everyone thinks, and I am sorry if I place this question in the wrong forum. THANKS.

More about : build pack move state

a b B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2012 11:27:13 AM

Most important item is to pack the motherboard properly. You can leave the cpu on the socket; it's not likely to come loose, but that can also be packed if you're not able to take it with you in the car. Bouncing around in a truck is where you might get some damage. If you're picky about your power supply appearance, then use the bubble wrap.
m
l
December 31, 2012 11:56:13 AM

remove the cpu cooler, motherboard, and gpu and bubblewrap a lot.
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2012 4:19:55 PM

o1die said:
Most important item is to pack the motherboard properly. You can leave the cpu on the socket; it's not likely to come loose, but that can also be packed if you're not able to take it with you in the car. Bouncing around in a truck is where you might get some damage. If you're picky about your power supply appearance, then use the bubble wrap.

Thank you, but I do not plan to remove the mobo from the case, but most of the other items I may remove. I have 2 HDDs and 2 SSDs. I may remove and pack separately the HDDs, but I don't know if I will remove the SSDs. Some great ideas. One more question here, should I send these items via, say, UPS instead of in the moving truck?
m
l
December 31, 2012 4:26:48 PM

angaddev said:
remove the cpu cooler, motherboard, and gpu and bubblewrap a lot.
I don't know if I will remove the cpu cooler (heat-sink). I saw a youtube video where a person shipping a PC build placed a foam and pieces of carton around video card, memory stick, etc. so that they will not move during shipping. This video later recommended to use anti static foam, and then when everything was set up inside the actual PC case and before placing the cover, he added some buble wrap to make it more secured. So far I thank you for your good ideas.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2012 4:38:21 PM

Take the board and cpu in your vehicle if you can. Don't know if you're selling your car or driving somewhere. FEDEX gets higher marks than UPS, or use the post office's priority mail with insurance. You may risk your whole box if you have the original case packaging with foam. It might protect everything without having to tear it down. Ask for signature verification so they don't leave it out in the open where it might get stolen.
m
l
December 31, 2012 4:52:11 PM

o1die said:
Take the board and cpu in your vehicle if you can. Don't know if you're selling your car or driving somewhere. FEDEX gets higher marks than UPS, or use the post office's priority mail with insurance. You may risk your whole box if you have the original case packaging with foam. It might protect everything without having to tear it down. Ask for signature verification so they don't leave it out in the open where it might get stolen.

I do have most of the packaging boxes. I already sold my car, and I will go to my new location by plane. Thanks for letting me know about FEDEX; however, whenever an item has been sent to me via FEDEX, I have had a few problems with it. I will ask for signature verification, for I should be at home by the time the package arrives--I will not pay for express delivery or over night delivery. Thus, I am still wondering if I should ship the PC build/Monitors or send them with all my stuff in the moving truck. Thanks for all these ideas or comments.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2012 4:56:34 PM

Depends on which moving service you're using. I remember when my parents moved to Denver years ago. The stuff arrived fine, but wasn't locked when stored in a garage, so some items were missing. Ask your moving service what insurance they carry and what it covers.
January 6, 2013 11:58:02 PM

Best answer selected by orestesdd.
m
l
!