I just built a computer and I'm having an extremely wierd lockup problem. Here are the specs:
Motherboard: BioStar TA990FXE
CPU: AMD FX 4170
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 660 ti
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
OS: Windows 8 Pro (Full Install)
PSU: Rosewill 750 Watt
Problem: The computer is randomly locking up for seemingly no reason at all. When it does lock up the video continues to run (If I'm watching a video it will continue to play or if I"m playing a game and was moving when the lockup happens the character will continue to run in a straight line in the direction I was moving him) but sound will stop, mouse/keyboard will not function and a lot of time I'll get the RealTek Audio manager telling me that an audio port was unplugged from the back of the computer.
I have run hotCPU for 6 hours and it did not find any issues with my CPU, I have run the windows 8 memory test without issue and I am not getting any error reports in the Windows event log except "previous shutdown was unexpected".
It seems as though normal file browsing/web surfing is ok, but whenever I try to play a game, download some files (GW2 client consistently crashes the computer) or even watch videos via DLNA the computer crashes very frequently. Most of the time it crashes within minutes, but there have been times that I've been able to play for 1-2 hours only to exit the game and have it crash within 10 minutes.
I've never seen anything like this before, and while I've built dozens of low-end PCs over the years I've never built one with higher-end components like this. Does anyone have any idea what is going on or how to troubleshoot it?
Uninstall the realek audio drivers & software and restart your machine. Allow windows to install default drivers for your audio hardware. If that clears it up, try downloading the latest version of the realtek drivers from biostar's website.
If not, the next step is to update the BIOS to the most current version.
That is done. I uninstalled the Realtek Audio Drivers, Nvidia Graphics Drivers, Atheros NIC driver and rebooted to let Windows use the drivers it likes best. No luck there, but I finally broke down and cleared the CMOS and so far it has been running Orcs Must Die 2 for about 2 hours. I don't know anything about these new UEFI boards, so I didn't change anything on it, but I'm cautiously optimistic that maybe there was a bad setting in the CMOS.
Tomorrow will be the real test when I have a lot of time to put it through it's paces.
OK, I think I got this one figured out. The lockups continued even after the BIOS reset, but I went in and manually disabled the Azalia HD Audio Device in the BIOS. Since then everything seems to have settled down without a lockup in 48 hours. No sound, but everything else appears to be stable.
Now to figure out whether it's a driver compatibility issue with Windows 8 or if there's a legitimate hardware defect that I have to worry about.