Noob Questions about Speed Step and Overclocking

airbus320

Honorable
Jun 22, 2012
Hi peeps :)

I have been trying to find the answers myself but internet can be pretty much confusing and intimidating for a beginner like me. I know this is the right place to ask although this may have been covered for hundreds of times.

I'm about to overclock my i5 25k and it is just a mild one, say 3.8 or 3.9 max. Knowing i5 25k is able to go furthey, way furher than that, I'm more into stability and longevity.

My questions are:
1. Which one is the best action in terms of lifespan, disabling Speed Step or not to?

2. Will fluctuating clock speed from 1.6 when idle to 3.8 stimulates instability or even unnecessary workload?

3.at what level of overclocking can i5 25k run with stock voltage?

4. I'm currently running ThermalTake Contac 21, 92 mm, single fanblade. Will that be sufficient?

Note: I will also disable turbo and I dedicate my PC for flight simulator 10.

Thank You very much in advance, your help and suggestions would be much appreciated.

steddora

Honorable
Nov 13, 2012
Alright.. simplicity here.

Speedstep reduces power consumption and heat from the processor. Some people say it does and some say it doesn't cause instability or workload changes and noone can really say if it reduces or improves the chips life.

Stock voltage. Stock voltage on the 2500k is variable (usually between 0.9 and 1.3v) It ramps up when the processor needs it. Just boosting your multiplier will cause it to want MORE voltage. So I suggest starting by staying at all stock settings with the frequency and dropping the voltage to offset mode and reducing it by -0.010v and stress testing the processor. Get it to where it uses about 1.2v in intelburntest and then start taking the multiplier up. Now when you do that; it will ramp the voltage accordingly but the offset should keep it in check. I don't suggest going over 1.3v on the processor if you can help it. It will reach it's max voltage set by the offset with IntelBurnTest. Also, IntelBurnTest will run that CPU hotter than anything out there. So if you can handle IBT without getting too far into the 70C range you're doing ok.

Now that chip and you being new, I'd start by setting a fixed voltage of 1.1v and seeing if it is stable at stock speeed. If it is, start boosting the multiplier until it become unstable and give it a tad more voltage and see if you can boot. 4Ghz is an EASY and round number to hit. My 2600k does 4Ghz at 1.125 and perfectly stable at 1.150v.

However, I suggest you study into offset voltages if you want power saving features at all. I have everything but turbo on right now at 4.4Ghz and don't have a single issue. Your cooler will probably manage 4Ghz without too much issue. I'd keep an eye on temperature and not let that CPU go over 75C in IBT.

So to start you off, setup a FIXED voltage, something low like 1.1v (I was able to boot at 1.075v at stock speed and have decent stability on my chip. So you never know what will happen). After you try that, if it's stable I'd boost the multiplier by one and test with IBT. If IBT drops and errors out, you are instate and you'll need more voltage.

Now there is no "set" voltages for out Sandy's but to make a general statement, I wouldn't go to 1.3v for anything unless you're going for mad overclocks.

I hope this helps you out!

TRENDING THREADS