Is everyone's Rebel XT display misaligned like mine?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 18, 2005 10:14:23 AM

I have a brand new Rebel XT, less than one week old.

The LCD display is off, so that it is difficult to read the motor drive
settings. (The black and white LCD display, not the color image
display). The LCD has an upside triangle that points to "One shot", "AI
Focus", or "AI Servo". The labels are on the plastic lens, so there is
a small amount of parallax. But you have to read way over to the side
to make things line up. Meaning the person sitting next to you sees it
right.

Are they all like this? I'm assessing my options, and I don't want to
hassle with it if they are all like this. I'll admit this may sound
like a nit, but it is annoying :|

Here is a pic of the problem:
http://geocities.com/anonymyth/rebelxt_badlcd_tiny.jpg

Btw, for those of you that are wondering, my display was attempting to
indicate "AI Focus."
June 18, 2005 10:14:24 AM

In article <3ZOse.30405$J12.14757@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, Veggie
<nospam@vegan.net> wrote:

> Are they all like this? I'm assessing my options, and I don't want to
> hassle with it if they are all like this. I'll admit this may sound
> like a nit, but it is annoying :|

It should not be like that. Mine lines up perfectly. Yours is
defective. You should definitly exchange it.

--
Charles
June 18, 2005 12:15:25 PM

Veggie wrote:

> I have a brand new Rebel XT, less than one week old.
>
> The LCD display is off, so that it is difficult to read the motor drive
> settings. (The black and white LCD display, not the color image
> display). The LCD has an upside triangle that points to "One shot", "AI
> Focus", or "AI Servo". The labels are on the plastic lens, so there is
> a small amount of parallax. But you have to read way over to the side
> to make things line up. Meaning the person sitting next to you sees it
> right.
>
> Are they all like this? I'm assessing my options, and I don't want to
> hassle with it if they are all like this. I'll admit this may sound
> like a nit, but it is annoying :|
>
> Here is a pic of the problem:
> http://geocities.com/anonymyth/rebelxt_badlcd_tiny.jpg
>
> Btw, for those of you that are wondering, my display was attempting to
> indicate "AI Focus."

Mine, like Charlie's, lines up right on the money.

I would go for an exchange if I were you.
--
Slack
Anonymous

"Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message
news:D aednfU9ltflpynfRVn-jA@giganews.com...
> Veggie wrote:
>
> > I have a brand new Rebel XT, less than one week old.
> >
> > The LCD display is off, so that it is difficult to read the motor drive
> > settings. (The black and white LCD display, not the color image
> > display). The LCD has an upside triangle that points to "One shot", "AI
> > Focus", or "AI Servo". The labels are on the plastic lens, so there is
> > a small amount of parallax. But you have to read way over to the side
> > to make things line up. Meaning the person sitting next to you sees it
> > right.
> >
> > Are they all like this? I'm assessing my options, and I don't want to
> > hassle with it if they are all like this. I'll admit this may sound
> > like a nit, but it is annoying :|
> >
> > Here is a pic of the problem:
> > http://geocities.com/anonymyth/rebelxt_badlcd_tiny.jpg
> >
> > Btw, for those of you that are wondering, my display was attempting to
> > indicate "AI Focus."
>

> Mine, like Charlie's, lines up right on the money.
>
> I would go for an exchange if I were you.

Mine, too.

Greg
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 2:25:16 PM

G.T. wrote:
> "Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message
> news:D aednfU9ltflpynfRVn-jA@giganews.com...
>> Veggie wrote:
>>
>>> I have a brand new Rebel XT, less than one week old.
>>>
>>> The LCD display is off, so that it is difficult to read the motor
>>> drive settings. (The black and white LCD display, not the color
>>> image display). The LCD has an upside triangle that points to
>>> "One
>>> shot", "AI Focus", or "AI Servo". The labels are on the plastic
>>> lens, so there is a small amount of parallax. But you have to
>>> read
>>> way over to the side to make things line up. Meaning the person
>>> sitting next to you sees it right.
>>>
>>> Are they all like this? I'm assessing my options, and I don't
>>> want
>>> to hassle with it if they are all like this. I'll admit this may
>>> sound like a nit, but it is annoying :|
>>>
>>> Here is a pic of the problem:
>>> http://geocities.com/anonymyth/rebelxt_badlcd_tiny.jpg
>>>
>>> Btw, for those of you that are wondering, my display was
>>> attempting
>>> to indicate "AI Focus."
>>

>> Mine, like Charlie's, lines up right on the money.
>>
>> I would go for an exchange if I were you.
>
> Mine, too.

Mine flashes:

" I D I O T -- I D I O T -- I D I O T ...
-- save for two more months ...
-- and you could have had a _20D_ ! ! ! "

--
Frank ess
Anonymous

> G.T. wrote:
> > "Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message
> > news:D aednfU9ltflpynfRVn-jA@giganews.com...

> >> Mine, like Charlie's, lines up right on the money.
> >>
> >> I would go for an exchange if I were you.
> >
> > Mine, too.
> >

> Mine flashes:
>
> " I D I O T -- I D I O T -- I D I O T ...
> -- save for two more months ...
> -- and you could have had a _20D_ ! ! ! "

Not mine. It flashes: "You go the right camera for the job. The 20D
wouldn't fit in your CamelBack."

I'll get a 20D (or maybe a 20Da since I'm getting a telescope for my
girlfriend) or 1DmkII or similar some day but right now the XT is perfect
for my usage.

Greg
June 18, 2005 9:50:56 PM

G.T. wrote:

>"Frank ess" <frank@fshe2fs.com> wrote in message
>

>>G.T. wrote:
>>

>>>"Slack" <slacker7_ReMoVe_ThIs@scglobal.net> wrote in message
>>>news:D aednfU9ltflpynfRVn-jA@giganews.com...

>>>Mine, too.
>>>

>>Mine flashes:
>>
>>" I D I O T -- I D I O T -- I D I O T ...
>>-- save for two more months ...
>>-- and you could have had a _20D_ ! ! ! "
>>

>Not mine. It flashes: "You go the right camera for the job. The 20D
>wouldn't fit in your CamelBack."
>
>I'll get a 20D (or maybe a 20Da since I'm getting a telescope for my
>girlfriend) or 1DmkII or similar some day but right now the XT is perfect
>for my usage.
>
>Greg

I'm sure the 20d is better overall, but I need a small and light SLR.
You don't want your camera weighing more than your water on hikes.
Funny, a lot of reviews say the Rebel XT too light, lacking heft (to
dampen vibrations). Bull-oney, it has plenty of heft. Different
cameras for different applications, that's why Canon makes a range of
products.

Anyway, thanks for the quick feedback. Looks like I got a bum XT that
squeaked thru QA. I'll be calling for an RMA today.

Love the camera though. Canon makes great stuff ;)  No flames from the
D70 fanbase, please.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 10:46:58 PM

Veggie wrote:

> Funny, a lot of reviews say the Rebel XT too light, lacking heft (to
> dampen vibrations). Bull-oney, it has plenty of heft. Different
> cameras for different applications, that's why Canon makes a range of
> products.
>
> No flames from the
> D70 fanbase, please.

I mounted my D70 on a shotgun stock with a 40lb lead weight to control
the kickback from the mirror flap. Smooth as butter now.

<joking>

: - )

--
Paul Furman