rushman64

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
I am running 2 Nvidia GTX 465 video cards, i7 920, 6 gb RAM, 2 10,000 rpm WD raptor hard drives @ 600gb for games and stuff, 1 320 gb for OS, 1 WD 1 TB, for User files, and a DVD rewriter. All this and several USB devices(keyboard mouse ad Creative wireless headphones)powered buy a 850 watt ps. Do I need to be looking for a 1000w ps? I am starting to see Video card problems like one will stop working for seemingly for no reason. I restart the computer and everything works again. I do have all the latest drivers, I check for updates weekly. So it is either one of the video cards or the ps I would think. Also I am running 3 LCD displays and I am going to get a 4th that is 3D ready, will going 3D use more power? Any ideas?

rushman64

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
It is a 2 year old Corsiar 850w I realize that age does lower the power output. No overclocking on either CPU or RAM. The GPU(GTX 465 is a factory overclocked 460)is not either. I do not know the temps, my case is VERY well ventilated, 5 fans. I will install speedfan if you think Heat is an issue.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The GPUs are a bit warm, but not terrible. CPUs are good under load. What are your idle temps?

Also, run the game/hwmonitor again with the case side panel removed. What are the temps. BTW, this looks at air flow problems contributing to your GPU temps (in particular).

rushman64

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
when the GPUs are idle 60c and 55c. The CPU cores run mid 40c - 50c at idle. I probably need to do a good cleaning of the GPU fans and case fans. I guess it time to break out the canned air. I haven't done that for over a year. I'll check the temps without at case side but I believe it just needs some housekeeping.