Gtx 670 or AMD 7950?

Hello,

This is my first time building a gaming PC and I need help on deciding on a Graphics card. ive narrowed it down to 2 Cards, gtx 670 and the AMD 7950 and i need to know which one will suit my needs better, it would also help if some one recomended a specific card from a website that ships to Canada.

I plan on playing games like Skyrim,BF3,Diablo 3 and in the future Bioshock infinite,Crysis 3 and GTA 5 on a 1080p display and i sp not plan on having more than one monitor.

my curretnt build is...
i5 3570k
ASRock extream 4
ocz modxstream 700W
8Gb DDR3 RAM
6 answers Last reply
More about 7950
  1. The 7950, hands down. The latest 12.11 drivers brought a lot of speed. The GTX 670 is only faster when looking at a) old benchmarks before 12.11 drivers for AMD and b) when compared to a 7950 running at stock speeds. No one in their right mind would run a 7950 at stock speeds when it oc's to 1100 to 1200 mhz for most people. My card is at 1100 mhz with no voltage tweaking, perfectly stable, and I could go further. An overclocked gtx 670 is slower than an overclocked 7950, even if the 7950 is clocked 100 mhz lower than the 670. Just google it.

As a way of comparing, check this link out http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/11/12/fall_2012_gpu_driver_comparison_roundup/4 Keep in mind that the 7950 in this link is not overclocked, and yet it has nearly the same average fps and much higher minimum fps than the gtx 670 on a game that is favorable to Nvidia (BF3). If you overclock both of those cards, the 670 will fall behind.
  2. One more thing, when looking at the link above, bear in mind that the 7950 when overclocked to about 1100 to 1125 mhz is at the same performance as a 7970 ghz edition card running at 1050 mhz. If you look at the fps for the 7970 ghz, you get an idea of what the 7950 can do when comfortably, not maxed to the hilt, oc'd. Happy hunting.
  3. 7950...more overclocking headroom ..
  4. Radeon 7950 is about the same performance as GTX 660 ti at stock speeds. GTX 670 is closer to the Radeon 7970. GTX 670 is the superior choice, it has the best performance of the two, the lowest power consumption, the best Technologies adaptive vsync, FXAA, TXAA, physx. :)
  5. 7950 if u plan OC else gtx 670
  6. lostgamer_03 said:
    Radeon 7950 is about the same performance as GTX 660 ti at stock speeds. GTX 670 is closer to the Radeon 7970. GTX 670 is the superior choice, it has the best performance of the two, the lowest power consumption, the best Technologies adaptive vsync, FXAA, TXAA, physx. :)

+1 to that - it's a much more capable card. I like how Catalyst 12.11 is mentioned here but not nVidia's 310.70 drivers, which went a long way to cancelling out that driver advatange :-) And the adaptive v-sync really is a game-changer. Take a look:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/201 [...] y_review/3.

"With Adaptive VSync turned on, the feeling of the game felt smoother compared to regular VSync turned on. The performance felt much like the game felt with VSync turned off. This is the kind of technology we like to see which has improved the innate nature of the gameplay experience. If all you need is 60 FPS in a game for it to be playable, then why not just go ahead and cap the game there so it doesn't exceed your refresh rate. Then, if the game has to fall below that, allow the game to perform at its real-time actual framerate, and Adaptive VSync allows that. It really is the best of all worlds, with no drawbacks. We didn't find any negatives to using Adaptive VSync, and we tried it out in a handful of games."

Plus, the 7950 has a bit more overclocking potential, but people are talking like the GTX670 can't be overclocked. You can actually overclock a GTX670 beyond GTX680 levels. Any card can be pushed beyond it's stock speeds.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics