Lenses for my 20D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert

Are there any difference in quality with Quantaray, Tamron, Sigma or other
brands VS Cannon? Quality VS price? Anything I should generally stay away
from. Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

Robert

"Robert" <rlg@NO.premier1.net> writes:

> Are there any difference in quality with Quantaray, Tamron, Sigma or other
> brands VS Cannon? Quality VS price? Anything I should generally stay away
> from. Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

There are differences between different lens designs. I personally
haven't ever owned a Quantaray lens and am unlikely to ever do so.
These days, Canon and Nikon and the big boys make cheap consumer-level
lines of lenses too, and the differences aren't always clear.

In the consumer-level lenses, I don't see a strong preference for the
OEM over the 3rd-party products. Especially for zooms, where for
years the 3rd-party manufacturers were making *better* designs.
Tokina was probably the leading 3rd-party manufacturer at that point,
though Tamron has made some really first-rate lenses too. Sigma is a
relative newcomer, and they're pusing hard. Their 12-24mm zoom (NOT
digital only; it covers the full 35mm frame at 12mm!!!) is quite a
deal.

The professional-line OEM lenses, like the Canon "L" series, are
generally made to higher standards in various ways than the 3rd-party
products. They also cost a LOT more, and you'll have to decide if the
difference is worth it for your purposes.

I have heard more reports than I'm comfortable with about 3rd-party
lenses not working on Canon cameras. I can't tell if this is because
they're the current market leader, so there are simply more people
using them; or if there's an actual problem there.

Unless you're rich, you're going to discover that you *can't* own the
best version of each range of lens that you might reasonably want.
You're going to have to make tradeoffs. All you can really do is try
to figure out what really matters most for the kinds of photography
you do, and learn to really see the images and figure out what the
problems are.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:08:52 -0700, "Robert" <rlg@NO.premier1.net>
wrote:

>Are there any difference in quality with Quantaray, Tamron, Sigma or other
>brands VS Cannon? Quality VS price? Anything I should generally stay away
>from. Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

There is big difference. Remember you get what you pay for. I have
gone with only Canon on my 20D and I try to get only "L" lenses. I
avoid all EF-S lenses as I know in the future I will be going to FF
and Glass lasts while bodies come and go.

Besides with a Canon lens on a Canon body, if there's a problem they
both go to Irvine where it's Canon's problem to fix it.

A single vendor approach is the best way to go.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

"Robert" <rlg@NO.premier1.net> writes:
> Are there any difference in quality with Quantaray, Tamron, Sigma or other
> brands VS Cannon?

Yes. Caveat: the degree and in which direction varies on a lens by
lens basis though.

> Quality VS price? Anything I should generally stay away
> from.

With Canon, you can be certain it's going to work on all future EF
mount cameras. But, if there's a big price difference, just weigh
that into your risk assessment and time value of money equation when
buying.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Todd H. wrote:

> "Robert" <rlg@NO.premier1.net> writes:
>
>>Are there any difference in quality with Quantaray, Tamron, Sigma or other
>>brands VS Cannon?
>

> Yes. Caveat: the degree and in which direction varies on a lens by
> lens basis though.

Also quality literally varies by each individual copy of the lens.
Sometimes quality control isn't so good, people return once or twice
till they get a good one (I'm not sure I could even tell though).

Mostly what I've heard is some of the 3rd party lenses have great optics
but the build quality isn't as good meaning slower autofocusing, less
smooth manual focus rings, generally less sturdy. I got the Sigma 12-24
& that happens to be built like a tank and has amazingly little
distortion or chromatic abberation. I did a bokeh test though for smooth
out-of-focus rendition and it was atrocious but that's OK I don't use it
for that kind of shot. You have to really work to get anything out of
focus at 12mm. Probably the Nikon (or Canon) crop frame version is a bit
sharper in the corners and better colors & contrast but I just couldn't
see spending $1000 for a wide zoom (maybe 1/4 of my shooting).

--
Paul Furman
http://www.edgehill.net/1

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:08:52 -0700, Robert <rlg@NO.premier1.net> wrote:
> Are there any difference in quality with Quantaray, Tamron, Sigma or other
> brands VS Cannon? Quality VS price? Anything I should generally stay away
> from. Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.

I've never heard much good about Quantaray. Tamron, Sigma, Tokina,
Canon all make some lenses that I'd use -- and some lenses I wouldn't.
People seem to have very strong opinions about this issue, but I
think it's largely a matter of taste. I don't go anywhere without
my Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 these days. It's not EF-S mount but it is
made to project a smaller image circle, which has good effects on
the price, weight and bulk of the lens. Canon has no equivalent.

--
Ben Rosengart (212) 741-4400 x215
--Josh Micah Marshall

"Robert" <rlg@NO.premier1.net> wrote in message
> Are there any difference in quality with Quantaray, Tamron, Sigma or other
> brands VS Cannon? Quality VS price? Anything I should generally stay away
> from. Thanks in advance for any comments and advice.
>
> Robert

Sometimes it's not the sharpness but the build quality. The Canon lens
might last a long long time, while the other may not. Since most
manufacturers now use computers to design their lenses I often think about
how often I'm going to use the lens. If it's going to be a workhorse I will
always go for the Canon, Nikon, etc. If it's a specialty lens that I'm only
going to use once in awhile I'll go for the 3rd party. You can often go
into a camera shop and throw a lens on your camera and take a few shots.

Although I have a Nikon I know that Canon makes a good lens, and I can tell
you that some of my Nikon lenses are about 30 years old and still holding up
well and take great shots. I have to assume "Canon people" have similar
stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS