Nikon's D50 is definitely...entry level

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 18, 2005 2:39:01 PM

I saw it in the French photomag, "Photo Response"
It looks like a shrunken Canon Rebel, not the XT.
The model they had was silver. 6 meg. It's clearly
aimed at the beginner market and given it's not much
cheaper, I can't imagine (unless retailers push them)
that someone would choose it over the D70(s) unless
they like the diminutive size. It's light too, less
with a zoom than my Olympus C8080 P&S.
From the specs I saw, it's limited when it comes to
pre-set settings, which may be a good thing when it comes
to a beginner being forced to learn how to really use a
camera.
-Rich

More about : nikon d50 entry level

Anonymous
June 18, 2005 3:49:49 PM

RichA wrote:
> I saw it in the French photomag, "Photo Response"
> It looks like a shrunken Canon Rebel, not the XT.
> The model they had was silver. 6 meg. It's clearly
> aimed at the beginner market and given it's not much
> cheaper, I can't imagine (unless retailers push them)
> that someone would choose it over the D70(s) unless
> they like the diminutive size. It's light too, less
> with a zoom than my Olympus C8080 P&S.
> From the specs I saw, it's limited when it comes to
> pre-set settings, which may be a good thing when it comes
> to a beginner being forced to learn how to really use a
> camera.
> -Rich

Just posted:
<http://news.com.com/A+pro+camera+that+amateurs+can+affo...;
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 5:23:52 PM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 11:49:49 -0400, "Randy W. Sims"
<randys@thepierianspring.org> wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>> I saw it in the French photomag, "Photo Response"
>> It looks like a shrunken Canon Rebel, not the XT.
>> The model they had was silver. 6 meg. It's clearly
>> aimed at the beginner market and given it's not much
>> cheaper, I can't imagine (unless retailers push them)
>> that someone would choose it over the D70(s) unless
>> they like the diminutive size. It's light too, less
>> with a zoom than my Olympus C8080 P&S.
>> From the specs I saw, it's limited when it comes to
>> pre-set settings, which may be a good thing when it comes
>> to a beginner being forced to learn how to really use a
>> camera.
>> -Rich
>
>Just posted:
><http://news.com.com/A+pro+camera+that+amateurs+can+affo...;

I was going to say it looked like it was an ad written by Nikon right
up until he mentioned the "inferior" Canon starter lens. Pro? No.
But it looks like DSLR evolution continues right along.
June 18, 2005 6:53:25 PM

In article <h9ednWDHBvYS3ynfRVn_vg@giganews.com>,
Randy W. Sims <randys@thepierianspring.org> wrote:

[ ... ]

>Just posted:
><http://news.com.com/A+pro+camera+that+amateurs+can+affo...;

Hmm ... some things show that whoever wrote it does not really
know the field:

And a digital SLR reduces shutter lag--the half-second delay after you
press the shutter button--to zero.

It may be reduced compared to the digital P&S cameras, but it is
certainly not *zero*. After all, you have to get the mirror out of the
way first -- and stop the diaphragm down. :-)

And -- if you are using autofocus, you have to wait for that to
complete -- except in "sports" mode, I believe.

Enjoy,
DoN.
June 18, 2005 9:17:58 PM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:39:01 -0400, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:

>From the specs I saw, it's limited when it comes to
>pre-set settings, which may be a good thing when it comes
>to a beginner being forced to learn how to really use a
>camera.

Why is it a good thing to force someone to use a camera?
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 1:21:17 AM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:17:58 -0400, McLeod <cerveza@xplornet.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:39:01 -0400, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>>From the specs I saw, it's limited when it comes to
>>pre-set settings, which may be a good thing when it comes
>>to a beginner being forced to learn how to really use a
>>camera.
>
>Why is it a good thing to force someone to use a camera?

Force to LEARN how to use a camera. Uh, because it will give
them better photographs in the long run?
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 2:02:01 AM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:21:17 -0400, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:

>>Why is it a good thing to force someone to use a camera?
>
>Force to LEARN how to use a camera. Uh, because it will give
>them better photographs in the long run?

Then why don't we just make it law that everyone has to learn on a
4x5" view camera so they get even a better understanding of optical
theory?
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 2:07:28 AM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:02:01 -0400, McLeod <cerveza@xplornet.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 21:21:17 -0400, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>>>Why is it a good thing to force someone to use a camera?
>>
>>Force to LEARN how to use a camera. Uh, because it will give
>>them better photographs in the long run?
>
>Then why don't we just make it law that everyone has to learn on a
>4x5" view camera so they get even a better understanding of optical
>theory?

Histrionics don't help anyone.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 2:08:30 AM

"DoN. Nichols" <dnichols@d-and-d.com> wrote in message
news:D 91qj5$slj$1@Fuego.d-and-d.com...
> In article <h9ednWDHBvYS3ynfRVn_vg@giganews.com>,
> Randy W. Sims <randys@thepierianspring.org> wrote:
>
> [ ... ]
>
> >Just posted:
>
><http://news.com.com/A+pro+camera+that+amateurs+can+affo...
144.html>

> Hmm ... some things show that whoever wrote it does not really
> know the field:

> And a digital SLR reduces shutter lag--the half-second delay after you
> press the shutter button--to zero.
>
> It may be reduced compared to the digital P&S cameras, but it is
> certainly not *zero*. After all, you have to get the mirror out of the
> way first -- and stop the diaphragm down. :-)
>
> And -- if you are using autofocus, you have to wait for that to
> complete -- except in "sports" mode, I believe.
>
> Enjoy,
> DoN.
> --
> Email: <dnichols@d-and-d.com> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
> (too) near Washington D.C. | http://www.d-and-d.com/dnichols/DoN.html
> --- Black Holes are where God is dividing by zero ---

It sounds more like propaganda then a review!
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:14:00 AM

"McLeod" <cerveza@xplornet.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 10:39:01 -0400, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:
>
>>From the specs I saw, it's limited when it comes to
>>pre-set settings, which may be a good thing when it comes
>>to a beginner being forced to learn how to really use a
>>camera.
>
> Why is it a good thing to force someone to use a camera?

Maybe they would rather be fishing?
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 1:18:28 PM

On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 22:07:28 -0400, RichA <none@none.com> wrote:

>>Then why don't we just make it law that everyone has to learn on a
>>4x5" view camera so they get even a better understanding of optical
>>theory?
>
>Histrionics don't help anyone.

Just pointing out that your argument is specious by extending it.
June 19, 2005 5:08:13 PM

It's interesting how people are dismissing the D50 before they have ever
seen or held one!
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:56:09 PM

Darrell wrote:

> It's interesting how people are dismissing the D50 before they have ever
> seen or held one!

If you qualify it for what it is, then it can't be dismissed. Most
people here look for a set of minimum capabilities in a camera ... the
D50 does not have all of them. Overall, and considering the price, it
is not bad at all. Pretty damned good actually.

Some negatives:
It is quite small - won't be comfortable for all hands

It is missing DOF preview.
There is some difference in flash support. The D70 supports the D-TTL
and the D50 only the newer i-TTL. Whether this really affects anyone...

It only has one command dial, so I suspect it's primary "M" mode
dedication is to Aperture (G lenses) and a button needs to be pressed
for speed. (Or the reverse...). OTOH, people who buy such a camera are
probably not in "M" all that much.

Positives:
It is quite small, so prob'y a great travel camera.

It does have a "Min shutter speed" setting for use with auto ISO. So
we're beginning to see a first instance of "Composition priority [TM]"
in a camera.

It's not clear to me if it retains the 1/500 sync speed of the D70, one
of the great features of that camera.

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:57:01 PM

Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

> There is some difference in flash support. The D70 supports the D-TTL
> and the D50 only the newer i-TTL. Whether this really affects anyone...

The D-70 never supported D-TTL.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:57:02 PM

Bubbabob wrote:

> Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>There is some difference in flash support. The D70 supports the D-TTL
>>and the D50 only the newer i-TTL. Whether this really affects anyone...
>>

> The D-70 never supported D-TTL.

Could be so. That's what I read in a review, so either the review is
wrong or I misinterpreted it.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
June 19, 2005 11:08:14 PM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:D 94bjm$hqe$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Darrell wrote:
>
>> It's interesting how people are dismissing the D50 before they have ever
>> seen or held one!
>
> If you qualify it for what it is, then it can't be dismissed. Most people
> here look for a set of minimum capabilities in a camera ... the D50 does
> not have all of them. Overall, and considering the price, it is not bad
> at all. Pretty damned good actually.
>
> Some negatives:
> It is quite small - won't be comfortable for all hands

People said that about the Rebel XT and the Pentax *ist D/DS/and DL. However
a lot of people but the *ist DS and XT. I have had people won over to Pentax
because their camera felt better in the hand.
June 19, 2005 11:10:06 PM

"Bubbabob" <rnorton@_remove_this_thuntek.net> wrote in message
> Alan Browne <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>
>> There is some difference in flash support. The D70 supports the D-TTL
>> and the D50 only the newer i-TTL. Whether this really affects anyone...
>>

> The D-70 never supported D-TTL.

The D70 uses i-TTL
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 12:26:50 AM

"Darrell" <spam@this.eh> wrote:

> I have had people won
> over to Pentax because their camera felt better in the hand.

I second the motion; the Pentax handles beautifully, and controls are very
handy. So good, you can even forget this SLR is digital.

--
Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:56:09 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>Positives:

<of D50>

>It does have a "Min shutter speed" setting for use with auto ISO. So
>we're beginning to see a first instance of "Composition priority [TM]"
>in a camera.

The D70 has that as well.

Regards,
June 20, 2005 6:04:47 PM

Graham Holden wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:56:09 -0400, Alan Browne
> <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:
>

>>Positives:
>

> <of D50>
>
>>It does have a "Min shutter speed" setting for use with auto ISO. So
>>we're beginning to see a first instance of "Composition priority [TM]"
>>in a camera.
>

> The D70 has that as well.

Great.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.