melbinorhino

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
So I've been contemplating on upgrading my computer. My specs:

GTX 470 stock
Phenom II x4 B50 @3.60 ghz
12gb DDR3 ram I believe OC to 1600 because of cpu
MSI 770-G45 motherboard

Alright so I've been wanting to upgrade, but I do know my cpu is on the low end right now. I was thinking of getting a i5 3570k and whatever motherboard I can find, it doesn't have to be SLI (I never again want to go with amd cards), so that would lower the price on it a little bit. Also my cpu fan is the Coolermaster Hyper N520, so I hope that would be enough to oc the cpu a bit.

NOW this is what I could get real soon, I want to buy a graphics card as well, and the one I would get would be a GTX 660 ti.
My question is, which would be wisest? Upgrading the Motherboard and cpu or getting the graphics card? I'll eventually get both, but I want to know which one would be best to get first.

Also I read that there are new Maxwell cpus coming out by march or something of 2013...if so I would love to wait for those, same with nvidia and the Kepler 7xx series. If anyone has some information on these things and thinks I should just wait in general for an upgrade then that would be great. Thank you in advance!

Solution
Do you feel the urge to upgrade? If so, get GTX 660 Ti today. If not - wait. It will be at least a year until they all come out.

melbinorhino

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Well a Phenom II x4 B50 is a phenom II x2 550 dual core cpu unlocked to a quad core cpu. and I can max out some games but others like Battlefield 3 and such can't be maxed out and I have them at pretty high settings but get 40 fps. I'm sure it's because of the processor, that's why I don't know which one to get first.

melbinorhino

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
I get around 40 fps with everything on ultra without AA, I forgot to mention I play in a 1080p monitor, which is expected really but just wanted to make that clear. Also my cpu load is no more than 90% but my gpu load is 99-100%. I know this hints for me to get a graphics card but I want a sure answer.

melbinorhino

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Well I got the 660ti today. The thing is I needed a graphics card because my dads graphics card broke, so I bought the 660ti for me and gave him my 470 :D thank you all! I'm very happy and exited!