Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How's my build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 31, 2012 2:53:13 AM

This build will be for playing games like world of warcraft, league of legends, HoN, as well as skyping, streaming movies and netflix and basic activities.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v5Yl

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $219.99
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ATX LGA1155 $154.99
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 $29.99
Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 $29.99
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD $119.99
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB $379.99
Case NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower $104.99
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W ATX12V / EPS12V $89.99
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $24.98
Total: $1154.90

More about : build

December 31, 2012 2:57:28 AM

You need to change the motherboard to a Z77. Z68 frequently requires a firmware update to work with ivy bridge chips...

I recommend this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and instead of that GPU,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$10 cheaper, still by EVGA, but factory overclocked a small bit more...

And you're not going to get a regular HDD for storage? 128GB is really small for a desktop...

And you NEED to get a 3rd party cooler. otherwise that processor is a waste because you can't overclock much on the shitty stock cooler.

I'll recommend this as a cheap good cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...









And finally. That PC is OVERKILL for all of your needs. You can build something that's like $700-800 that will also max those 3 games and do everything else really well...
December 31, 2012 3:02:05 AM

treven said:
This build will be for playing games like world of warcraft, league of legends, HoN, as well as skyping, streaming movies and netflix and basic activities.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v5Yl

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core $219.99
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ATX LGA1155 $154.99
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 $29.99
Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 $29.99
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" SSD $119.99
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB $379.99
Case NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower $104.99
Power Supply SeaSonic 650W ATX12V / EPS12V $89.99
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $24.98
Total: $1154.90




$60 for 8 gb of ram is a waste, also so many 2gb sticks tend to affect performance as well.

go for a 4 x 2 set, like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
December 31, 2012 3:07:23 AM

maxalge said:
$60 for 8 gb of ram is a waste, also so many 2gb sticks tend to affect performance as well.

go for a 4 x 2 set, like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


he might as well as get 2x4GB... which is usually a couple bucks cheaper... and has basically no impact on performance...
December 31, 2012 6:23:53 AM

I switched the motherboard and the SSD HD is just for start up and mainly used programs, i have already got a 1 TB HDD i will use.

I will switch the RAM out and find a CPU cooler as well.

What is the difference between 4 x 2 and 2 x 4 performance wise?

As for the graphics card, it was just a quick pick, i will look into that more, is it worth it to get a 680 instead of 670?
December 31, 2012 6:31:01 AM

killerhurtalot said:
You need to change the motherboard to a Z77. Z68 frequently requires a firmware update to work with ivy bridge chips...

I recommend this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and instead of that GPU,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$10 cheaper, still by EVGA, but factory overclocked a small bit more...

And you're not going to get a regular HDD for storage? 128GB is really small for a desktop...

And you NEED to get a 3rd party cooler. otherwise that processor is a waste because you can't overclock much on the shitty stock cooler.

I'll recommend this as a cheap good cooler: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



And finally. That PC is OVERKILL for all of your needs. You can build something that's like $700-800 that will also max those 3 games and do everything else really well...


Two of your statements are contradictory here: FIrst you say that he should OC, then you say his PC is overkill.
I would personally do around the same build, but downgrade thast graphics card to a a 6870 or something suited for your needs. I agree he needs to get a z77 MoBo. For the Hard Drive, get a Seagate Barracuda. Overall, the stock cooler should work well if you don't OC.


December 31, 2012 8:44:51 AM

I have a HDD already so there is no need to get one as it works fine and will just be for storage / extra stuff (movies, programs, testing purposes)

I want this to be a stable PC for awhile as well, like if a game comes out with high graphics or i decide to buy a FPS that requires high graphics i will be set with the graphics card already and not have to worry about graphics for now. I probably will get a 3rd party cooler for the CPU just to test it out and over clock.

I am also biased and prefer Intel / Nvidia :) 
December 31, 2012 5:03:04 PM

Coldice54 said:
Two of your statements are contradictory here: FIrst you say that he should OC, then you say his PC is overkill.
I would personally do around the same build, but downgrade thast graphics card to a a 6870 or something suited for your needs. I agree he needs to get a z77 MoBo. For the Hard Drive, get a Seagate Barracuda. Overall, the stock cooler should work well if you don't OC.



how is that contradictory... contradictory... just commenting on his build... The components he chose allows overclocking so why not???
then I added in my opinion of not needing such a computer.

someone needs to learn how to read...
December 31, 2012 7:47:03 PM

treven said:
I switched the motherboard and the SSD HD is just for start up and mainly used programs, i have already got a 1 TB HDD i will use.

I will switch the RAM out and find a CPU cooler as well.

What is the difference between 4 x 2 and 2 x 4 performance wise?

As for the graphics card, it was just a quick pick, i will look into that more, is it worth it to get a 680 instead of 670?




LOL ops I meant 2 x 4 like the link suggested, a little mix up.


4 2gb modules tend to limit overclocking, and lock you into 8 gb. With 2 4gb modules, you can update to 16gb down the line if needed.
January 1, 2013 12:52:53 AM

Ah ok. Cool.
!