Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GT 520 dying, need replace/upgrade advice please.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 15, 2012 8:53:32 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within next few weeks.

BUDGET RANGE: 50 - 60$

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Games such as Skyrim, Fallout:NV, RIFT, (willing to play on lower settings)

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: GT 520 1gb DDR3, Silent 850 watt psu (it's not "silent" at all.)

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i5 2400 3.1ghz, Win 7 x64, 8 gb RAM @1066, BioStar TH67B mobo.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com, Ebay.com, Amazon.com, any other reputable site with a decent price.

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference, will happily use any upgrade.

OVERCLOCKING: No (too paranoid to adjust factory settings) SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050 (monitor default), currently running at 1600x1024 to ease card stress.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I have no objection to passive cooling, I have a pci slot fan mounted under my current card to help expel heat.

Many thanks to any who read this and add advice. :) 

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2012 9:24:34 PM

I took a fast look at newegg and made a quick decision about what cards can be good for you. In general, if you prefer Nvidia, you can pick a GT 630, OR, if you consider and AMD you can pick a HD 6670 with your current budget. But i'd suggest picking a faster GDDR5 card like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

P.S: MSI has a special promotion discount for that card. If you contact MSI, you can get a discount card and can buy the card cheaper. Read the description in product page (link above)

2nd way: You can also consider buying a 2nd hand card. There might be a nice card for sale by an upgrader or such. I think there is a section for this in these forums. Maybe you can check ebay, too. Perhaps you can catch a good bargain :) 
!