[ Photo Shoot In ] Call For Round 4 Mandators - closes Jun..

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 19, 2005 3:11:55 PM

We're up to 16 mandators now, that's enough for 32 weeks (7 months and a
bit). It would be nice to have at least 20 mandators before the
mandator dates are generated randomly on June 27 (more or less).

What does a mandator do? When his 'slot' comes up, he will propose a
mandate like those currently at the SI. The mandate can be a theme,
subject, idea, word ... etc. Then the rest of us (whether mandator or
not) submit photos in the following two weeks. The photos are posted
and then discussed.

Mandators: Send your name and verifiable e-mail address to:
==========

si@aliasimages.com

e-mail addresses will be kept confidential. Names will be put up on the
rulz page linked below.

Rules?

No, but there are rulz ( http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html ).

Past "shoot in" galleries are at: http://www.pbase.com/shootin

Don't be shy! Join in as a moderator or at least as a participant!

Discussions on the SI are held at news:rec.photo.equipment.35mm

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:54:49 PM

Alan,
I have a question about file naming for the Shoot Ins. The instructions
say to use a 3 letter decriptor for the given mandate. Do you just use the
first 3 letters of the mandate decription (like 'OUT' for the present
mandate), or what? Why don't they post a recommended decriptor with each
mandate?

Bob
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:54:50 PM

Bubbabob wrote:

> Alan,
> I have a question about file naming for the Shoot Ins. The instructions
> say to use a 3 letter decriptor for the given mandate. Do you just use the
> first 3 letters of the mandate decription (like 'OUT' for the present
> mandate), or what? Why don't they post a recommended decriptor with each
> mandate?

I don't think anyone follows the original intent very much, and if you
read the rulz at present it does not state "3 letters" (the example is 3
letters).

So if you mail "Out of Africa" as "Out_of_Africa_Bob_Jones.jpg" you'll
be fine. "OOA_Bob_Jones.jpg" would do fine as well. IAC I doubt that
Al has much problem fiuguring out which photos go to which mandate.

Don't send them to me, please, send them to si@wading-in.net .

Your recommendation about posting the descriptor prefix is a good one,
and I for one would adopt it. Mandators have been quite variable with
respect to instructions in their mandates...

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:54:51 PM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:D 94iv2$la9$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> Bubbabob wrote:
>
> > Alan,
> > I have a question about file naming for the Shoot Ins. The
instructions
> > say to use a 3 letter decriptor for the given mandate. Do you just use
the
> > first 3 letters of the mandate decription (like 'OUT' for the present
> > mandate), or what? Why don't they post a recommended decriptor with each
> > mandate?
>
> I don't think anyone follows the original intent very much, and if you
> read the rulz at present it does not state "3 letters" (the example is 3
> letters).

I keep looking at the Shoot In because it sounds like a great idea. Then I
see "rulz" and for some reason just can't take it seriously enough to
submit.

Greg
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:54:52 PM

G.T. wrote:

> I keep looking at the Shoot In because it sounds like a great idea. Then I
> see "rulz" and for some reason just can't take it seriously enough to
> submit.

The reason the word 'rulz' is used is because there is no organization
per se running the SI. The site where the images are posted is run by
one vollunteer, and the 'rulz' site by another. There are no prizes, no
scoring or other judging. Others comment on the images as they see fit.

The intent of the SI is to do something other than talk about
photography equipment in these NG's and try to do specific photography.
This promotes more discussion on technique and composition. The
feedback in the SI has been valuable and helpful to me, and I bet the
same applies to many if not most of the other participants as well.

Since August 2003, there have been nearly 1100 images submitted in 57
mandates which have been collectively viewed over 440,000 times.

Finally, the only way you can really see how 'seriously' you can take
the SI is to participate and see how well you do in responding to a
mandate. Given that most of us work in non photography fields, the
amount of time available to respond to a mandate and do a good job is
not very much. (We started this with 1 week mandates and most of us
were shooting film...).

Cheers,
Alan.
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:54:53 PM

"Alan Browne" <alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote in message
news:D 94lji$3sk$1@inews.gazeta.pl...
> G.T. wrote:
>
> > I keep looking at the Shoot In because it sounds like a great idea.
Then I
> > see "rulz" and for some reason just can't take it seriously enough to
> > submit.
>
> The reason the word 'rulz' is used is because there is no organization
> per se running the SI. The site where the images are posted is run by
> one vollunteer, and the 'rulz' site by another. There are no prizes, no
> scoring or other judging. Others comment on the images as they see fit.
>
> The intent of the SI is to do something other than talk about
> photography equipment in these NG's and try to do specific photography.
> This promotes more discussion on technique and composition. The
> feedback in the SI has been valuable and helpful to me, and I bet the
> same applies to many if not most of the other participants as well.
>
> Since August 2003, there have been nearly 1100 images submitted in 57
> mandates which have been collectively viewed over 440,000 times.
>
> Finally, the only way you can really see how 'seriously' you can take
> the SI is to participate and see how well you do in responding to a
> mandate. Given that most of us work in non photography fields, the
> amount of time available to respond to a mandate and do a good job is
> not very much. (We started this with 1 week mandates and most of us
> were shooting film...).

Oh, every time you guys mention it or I go to the site it sounds like the
mandates would be very helpful for improving my photography skills. I keep
thinking about it and then I see "rulz" and lose interest. Perhaps I'll get
past it one of these mandates and participate.

Greg
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 10:54:54 PM

G.T. wrote:
> I keep
> thinking about it and then I see "rulz" and lose interest. Perhaps I'll get
> past it one of these mandates and participate.

Think of the 'rulz' as the boundaries for the SI proper, but not
boundaries for your creative direction.

As long as you're responding to

the theme of the mandate;
within the mandate period; --entires a up to a
with an unmanipulated image; couple days late are
no more than 800 pixels wide or tall; usually accepted.
that is not pornographic,

then that covers the rulz in a nutshell.

Neither ponderous or limiting I would say.

(Unmanipulated allows for minor color adjustments, rotation, sharpening,
cropping, etc.)

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
June 20, 2005 7:17:59 PM

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:05:44 -0700, G.T. wrote:

> Oh, every time you guys mention it or I go to the site it sounds like the
> mandates would be very helpful for improving my photography skills. I
> keep thinking about it and then I see "rulz" and lose interest. Perhaps
> I'll get past it one of these mandates and participate.

Don't bother. The SI has become the "Photo Nerds of Usenet" backslapping
club. It used to be a fun thing to do, but the nerds screwed it up with
all their proprietery folly.

Look at first ten galleries, then look at the last ten and understand why
it has become what it is - a dead horse.

--
Save photography | shoot some film today!
email: drop rods and insert surfaces

Roxy d'Urban <not@home.com> wrote in
news:p an.2005.06.20.13.17.08.921000@home.com:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 14:05:44 -0700, G.T. wrote:
>
>> Oh, every time you guys mention it or I go to the site it sounds
>> like the mandates would be very helpful for improving my
>> photography skills. I keep thinking about it and then I see
>> "rulz" and lose interest. Perhaps I'll get past it one of these
>> mandates and participate.
>
> Don't bother. The SI has become the "Photo Nerds of Usenet"
> backslapping club. It used to be a fun thing to do, but the nerds
> screwed it up with all their proprietery folly.
>
> Look at first ten galleries, then look at the last ten and
> understand why it has become what it is - a dead horse.

Alan is trying to recruit new blood for the SI, which is usually
healthy for group activities. Please don't be so negative; that sort
of thing can be contageous. ;-)

--

Bill
Anonymous

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:50:18 +0000, Woodchuck Bill wrote:

> Alan is trying to recruit new blood for the SI, which is usually healthy
> for group activities. Please don't be so negative; that sort of thing can
> be contageous. ;-)

Alan and his buddy Al are mostly the cause of the problem of waning
interest. The latter regularly "loses" entries and the former thinks he
owns the entire rec.photo* hierarchy.

--
!