Sign in with
Your question

GTX 660 hanging -- due to overheating?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 15, 2012 9:35:00 PM

Hi all,

I've had problems getting my system actually working again, but it's up and running again now. However, I'm experiencing hanging in Crysis 2 with settings on Extreme and resolution at 1440x900. After around twenty minutes of gameplay, the game hangs and I can get back to Windows 7 desktop, but I can't use task manager to terminate the game -- the PC is locked up and I have to reboot.

I'm 99% sure my problem is the GPU overheating. The BIOS tells me the CPU is around 45 degrees Celcius after an hour or so of gaming (it idles around 30 degrees maximum), but I don't know how hot the GPU is getting.

I will find a tool to tell me this. But, in the mean time, does anybody have any suggestions to help me keep my GPU cooler? It's an Asus nVidia GTX 660 which is factory over-clocked above the standard clock speed, but I'm not over-clocking it further. I have a relatively old case (the Cooler Master Wave Master) which has three case fans which are all plugged in and working. If I keep the case side off, the GPU keeps cool enough and I don't experiece crashing. But as soon as the case side is on, games like Crysis 2 will hang within twenty minutes.

Any suggestions will be gratefully recieved :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 15, 2012 9:48:22 PM

I would start by grabbing a free temp monitor so you don't have to guess. Start the monitor up then play a game for 5 minutes tab out and check the temps. Your guess seems reasonable however PSU temps get high enough It can cause a lower power low quality PSU to not be able to provide enough wattage/amps as well.

Try HWMonitor @ http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

or

http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/
November 18, 2012 10:01:48 PM

Thanks for your reply, JamesSneed :) 

I just downloaded and tried out Asus GPU Tweak (as I have an Asus graphics card).

The minimum temperature it recorded was 31 degrees Celsius; although, this was after thirty minutes of gaming, so it probably runs cooler than that under minimal load.

The maximum (during Crysis 2 gameplay) was 61 degrees Celsius. To me that doesn't seem particularly hot. However, I didn't experience a crash at this temperature, so maybe it crashes at temperatures hotter than this. I will wait to see what temperature it's running at when it next crashes.

Regarding my PSU, it's a 750W modular unit and I'm running the following components:

* Intel i5 3570K CPU
* Asus P8Z77-V LX motherboard
* Asus nVidia GeForce GTX 660 graphics card
* Samsung 250GB SSD
* Sony BD optical drive
* 3 x case fans

The BD drive isn't being accessed during gameplay so I doubt that's consuming any power. Otherwise, does it sound like I have enough power for those components? I think it's ample..
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2012 9:15:19 PM

1) 61C for a GTX 660 is pretty cool so no worries.

2) A 750 watt PSU is at least a 250 more watts than needed so you should not have a power issue.

3) If you have overclocked then reset back to stock speeds for both CPU and GPU. If you have overclocked the CPU or GPU this seems like the most likely cause.
November 29, 2012 11:35:13 PM

JamesSneed said:
1) 61C for a GTX 660 is pretty cool so no worries.

2) A 750 watt PSU is at least a 250 more watts than needed so you should not have a power issue.

3) If you have overclocked then reset back to stock speeds for both CPU and GPU. If you have overclocked the CPU or GPU this seems like the most likely cause.

+1

you got good temps with a 660
!