Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Do i need to upgrade my cpu?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 15, 2012 10:31:16 PM

I have the FX-4100 and was wondering if it would be okay to get the XFX 7850 without buying a new CPU? or shoudl i get a 6 core to be safe? Also, I have a 500w PSU. should I got bigger? and how much bigger? I only have 400 to spend, and I really want to get the 7850, but id like to upgrade my psu and cpu within that budget. any ides/ suggestions?

More about : upgrade cpu

a c 162 U Graphics card
a c 217 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 10:49:16 PM

You don't need to upgrade anything. Games do not use more than four cores at most anyway.

Rather spend the extra money on a better graphics card.

Get this and you may need a better power supply depending on what PSU you have???

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

EDIT :

If you want to be on the safe side. You could get this too :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It would still be within your budget.
m
0
l
a c 80 U Graphics card
a c 98 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 10:57:12 PM

500W PSU is plenty with a 7850. Or a 7870 for that matter. As long as it's a quality 500W PSU.

What you could do on the CPU side is overclock. The FX 4100 has all the cores you'll need, but they're pretty slow. Overclocking is your best friend there.
m
0
l
Related resources
November 15, 2012 11:05:32 PM

the question is, with the 4100, the 650w psu, and the 7850, will it run games like skyrim on high?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:09:33 PM

Skyrim especially will be bottlenecked by a FX-4100. What frequency is it at?
m
0
l
a c 162 U Graphics card
a c 217 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:11:35 PM

samuelspark said:
Skyrim especially will be bottlenecked by a FX-4100. What frequency is it at?


Really??? Prove it... I call you on your random comment that makes NO sense.
m
0
l
a c 162 U Graphics card
a c 217 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:12:24 PM

12granb said:
the question is, with the 4100, the 650w psu, and the 7850, will it run games like skyrim on high?


It will run it at ultra in 1920 *1080, HD resolution.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:15:36 PM

Most of the 4 core CPUs have a higher clock rate then the 6 core, so that will give you better game performance, so stick with the quad core. Then put the extra money toward the VGA card. I'd go with a PS with about 25% above the min rating from the VGA card power requirements. Check the power requirements for the model you end-up buying.
m
0
l
a c 162 U Graphics card
a c 217 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:21:48 PM

samuelspark said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4170-core-i3-322...

I think with a 7850, it'd be CPU bottlenecked. It wouldn't be terrible though. Not worth getting new motherboard/CPU for 1 game.

@12granb
I think you should overclock your FX as well to get more FPS.


How does that quantify to a bottleneck with an HD7850? Those are just benches comparing CPU's. Not even coupled with an HD7850.

Again prove it!

One more thing, 3 FPS difference from the i3 and you call bottleneck?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:35:30 PM

Novuake said:
How does that quantify to a bottleneck with an HD7850? Those are just benches comparing CPU's. Not even coupled with an HD7850.

Again prove it!

One more thing, 3 FPS difference from the i3 and you call bottleneck?


...... Obviously you haven't seen the rest of the article.

This is with a 7970. 7970 is better than a 7850, correct? This eliminates the GPU bottleneck as much as possible. And it is 13 FPS difference in Skyrim. With a 4.2GHz FX over the OP's 3.6GHz.
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 11:37:00 PM

guys :/  do i really need to change my cpu? or can i deal with the 4100? and speaking GPU, would a 7970 eliminate the bottleneck?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:38:55 PM

12granb said:
guys :/  do i really need to change my cpu? or can i deal with the 4100? and speaking GPU, would a 7970 eliminate the bottleneck?


It wouldn't be worth the money to change it. Just overclock it to 4.6GHz and you'll be fine. And having a better GPU won't eliminate a CPU bottleneck.
m
0
l
a c 162 U Graphics card
a c 217 à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:40:18 PM

samuelspark said:
...... Obviously you haven't seen the rest of the article.

This is with a 7970. 7970 is better than a 7850, correct? This eliminates the GPU bottleneck as much as possible. And it is 13 FPS difference in Skyrim. With a 4.2GHz FX over the OP's 3.6GHz.

If it were tesdted with a weaker gpu then i would say yes. Bottleneck. But no not an hd7850. And yes he could max out skyrim...
m
0
l
November 15, 2012 11:40:56 PM

how do i overclock without ******* up my cpu? and in all honesty, if i bought the 7850 and 650w psu, and kept the 4100, what would my avg FPS be,even with the bottleneck?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:43:37 PM

Novuake said:
How does that quantify to a bottleneck with an HD7850? Those are just benches comparing CPU's. Not even coupled with an HD7850.

Again prove it!

One more thing, 3 FPS difference from the i3 and you call bottleneck?



Did you not bother reading his post? In skyrim the i3 3220 is stomping on the 4100 by over 12 fps.

The i5 3550 by over 30 fps, I would call that serious bottlenecking yes.








m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:45:11 PM

Novuake said:
If it were tesdted with a weaker gpu then i would say yes. Bottleneck. But no not an hd7850. And yes he could max out skyrim...


You'd just be creating a GPU bottleneck.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 15, 2012 11:49:05 PM

12granb said:
how do i overclock without ******* up my cpu? and in all honesty, if i bought the 7850 and 650w psu, and kept the 4100, what would my avg FPS be,even with the bottleneck?


If you didn't overclock, you'd get about 30 FPS with a 7850 on Ultra.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 12:09:22 AM

You wouldn't benefit from upgrading your FX-4100 to either a 6XXX or a 8XXX because games won't use those extra cores. And you don't need a new PSU. Can you list the rest of your specs and budget so we can help you?
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 12:17:22 AM

400$ budget

Mobo- Gigabyte M68MT-S2 Rev. 3.1
CPU- AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz
GPU-ASUS GT520 1GB
PSU-500w xtreme gear ( shitty quality from what i understand )

m
0
l
November 16, 2012 12:32:46 AM

wait wait wait. im confused. the GPU i picked would be bottlenecked, but not the sapphire. why?
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 12:34:33 AM

also, i have the ThermalTake Commander mid if im correct
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 12:35:21 AM

12granb said:
wait wait wait. im confused. the GPU i picked would be bottlenecked, but not the sapphire. why?


It still would. We're going to try and eliminate it by overclocking your CPU. Hence the CPU Cooler.
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 12:36:27 AM

what could i do to make it not bottleneck, and not have to overclock, and still get good skyrim FPS without going over 400?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 12:44:10 AM

12granb said:
how do i overclock without ******* up my cpu? and in all honesty, if i bought the 7850 and 650w psu, and kept the 4100, what would my avg FPS be,even with the bottleneck?


Overclocking honestly isn't hard. You just change a couple of numbers in the BIOS and you're done.
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 12:44:34 AM

wont overclocking void my warranty?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 12:47:07 AM

12granb said:
wont overclocking void my warranty?


Is your computer a prebuilt?
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 12:48:04 AM

yup. Cyberpower built my POS.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 12:48:55 AM

12granb said:
yup. Cyberpower built my POS.


Then changing the graphics card and power supply would void it anyway.
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 12:49:59 AM

They told me that as long as i didnt "break anything in the process" that i could upgrade all i want. i talked to a guy on the phone, and through email countless times about it.

the question is, why do i need to overclock jsut to get better gpu performance? it makes no sense. could i not get a bigger processor with more cores? explain to me, because this overclocking/bottlenecking biz is a different language to me.

m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 12:55:41 AM

12granb said:
They told me that as long as i didnt "break anything in the process" that i could upgrade all i want. i talked to a guy on the phone, and through email countless times about it.

the question is, why do i need to overclock jsut to get better gpu performance? it makes no sense. could i not get a bigger processor with more cores? explain to me, because this overclocking/bottlenecking biz is a different language to me.


If you don't break anything, you wouldn't need the warranty. So basically the concept of bottlenecking is one part of the system can't reach it's full potential because another part is holding it back. With your computer, your CPU would hold back your higher end GPU. By overclocking, you can increase your performance by increasing the operating frequency. And more cores =/= better performance. The application has to be coded so that it can make use of all the cores. 99.9% of games use 1-4 cores. Skyrim only uses two. Therefore even if you got 6 cores over 4, you wouldn't see an increase in FPS.
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 12:56:57 AM

so what your saying is, theres NO possible way to get higher frames without overclocking?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 12:57:59 AM

12granb said:
so what your saying is, theres NO possible way to get higher frames without overclocking?


You could get an Intel CPU, but that would take up about $300 of your budget.
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 1:01:23 AM

Damnit. This is frustrating. You think I'd do better by getting 2 smaller cards and going crossfire?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 1:02:47 AM

12granb said:
so what your saying is, theres NO possible way to get higher frames without overclocking?


Well, you would get higher frames from a better GPU because your GT520 is the main problem right now. I'm just saying you'd get much better performance with a new GPU if you overclocked.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 1:03:21 AM

12granb said:
Damnit. This is frustrating. You think I'd do better by getting 2 smaller cards and going crossfire?


It's usually not worth to crossfire unless you have high end cards.
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 1:05:01 AM

List my options. Excluding OC and intel.
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 1:08:31 AM

How many frames would I get from this on skyrim?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 1:09:47 AM

Probably 30-40 average on ultra.
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 1:11:10 AM

And is that good? Or shitty
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 1:14:06 AM

Are there any cheaper cards that will give me the same? Lol that good looks pretty beefy
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 1:14:43 AM

12granb said:
And is that good? Or shitty


Movies are at 24. 30-40 is decent and pretty playable.
m
0
l
November 16, 2012 1:19:09 AM

Would all 7950s work?
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 1:25:06 AM

That'd work.
Share
!