Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Radeon 7540D / Radeon 7560D (A.K.A. AMD A6 and A8 series APU.)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2012 12:28:57 AM

Hello everyone.

First, as always, I would like to give a little disclaimer:
I have done a forum and Google search on this topic, and while there are many related discussions, none of them go into enough detail about the specific area of my concern. I apologize if there is a thread out there I missed.

Secondly, A warning: This is a wall of text.
Here is a nice TL;DR for all you short-attention-spanned fellers out there:

TL;DR
Can an AMD A6 run games without pairing it with another card?

Now, on to my question.
I am attempting to build a computer for a friend. I am working within a very strict budget, so have to get creative with some of my hardware choices. The computer has to be capable of mild gaming on a 1920x1080p display. Some games this friend is interested in are Minecraft, Guild Wars 2, some Source games, as well as any others that may come out. The graphic settings are not of major concern, as long as it can run the game smoothly on low setting.

I have built multiple computers, and like to say I am quite experienced in the field, whether that is true or not is up for debate. I am, however, clueless when it comes to integrated graphics, and the new AMD APUs.

My question is, can an AMD A6 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) processor that has integrated Radeon 7540D Graphics run games WITHOUT pairing it with another card? What about an AMD A8, with its 7650? ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) And, if that fails, can an A10 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) complete the task? Though, at that price point I think going with an Athlon + Dedicated card would be the better choice.

I am not too concerned about the CPU portion of these chips, I think they are all more than capable of doing what my "client" requires. I want information specifically about the graphic side.

Thank you in advance for any answers, and again I apologize if this has already been discussed. (I may have even asked it myself, my memory is not doing so great these days. ;)  )

Best solution

November 16, 2012 12:33:45 AM

A10 and A8 is about as low as I would go, but they are capable of many things at 1080p. When you exclude things like Metro and BF3 they can pretty much play anything. Check out this article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/trinity-gaming-perf...
November 16, 2012 12:46:50 AM

Hi, what you are doing sound exactly like what i am doing for my friend as well he likes to play source games on steam as well as minecraft. I am getting A-10 k-version for him and his budget is $350. I feel like the A-10 is the better choice because its gpu is actually decent and if you got a dedicated graphics card it would only be worth about $60 beacuse athlon= $70 dollars and $6o for a graphics card isnt verry good. Also, with the k-version you can overclock it latter if you want a little more performance. Another thing is that helpful is that you can use another graphics card and do dual cards. One last thing i dont know if those other two apu are good enough for HD gamming.
Score
Related resources
November 16, 2012 1:07:03 AM

If you can OC the RAM, then the APU is even a better deal because you can significantly boost FPS (by expanding memory bandwidth) without touching the APU's clock rate.

EDIT: I'm not sure if paring two low-end GPUs is ideal, because you run into a high risk of microstuttering.
Score
November 16, 2012 1:44:19 AM

Quote:
rambisco:

A10 and A8 is about as low as I would go, but they are capable of many things at 1080p. When you exclude things like Metro and BF3 they can pretty much play anything. Check out this article.

http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 304-5.html

Thanks for the link, I was having trouble finding benchmarks for the chips alone, without being paired with another graphics card. This looks like exactly what I need. Unfortunately I was only able to skim it at the moment, and not thoroughly read through all the info (yet). The numbers look promising though.

Quote:
HungryFiend:

Hi, what you are doing sound exactly like what i am doing for my friend as well he likes to play source games on steam as well as minecraft. I am getting A-10 k-version for him and his budget is $350. I feel like the A-10 is the better choice because its gpu is actually decent and if you got a dedicated graphics card it would only be worth about $60 beacuse athlon= $70 dollars and $6o for a graphics card isnt verry good. Also, with the k-version you can overclock it latter if you want a little more performance. Another thing is that helpful is that you can use another graphics card and do dual cards. One last thing i dont know if those other two apu are good enough for HD gamming.

Thanks for the info. Keep me updated if you get the machine up and running in the next few days, I would like some first-hand experience on how it performs.

Quote:
A Bad Day:

If you can OC the RAM, then the APU is even a better deal because you can significantly boost FPS (by expanding memory bandwidth) without touching the APU's clock rate.

EDIT: I'm not sure if paring two low-end GPUs is ideal, because you run into a high risk of microstuttering.

I personally am usually against dual-card setups to begin with, but this looks like it could work out well. I will keep your tip about the RAM in mind as well, if I decide to go this route.

What do you mean by microstuttering? I have not heard of this before, can you explain what it is, and explain why you think adding one of the recommended cards to the A8 or A10 would increase the chances of it? Thank you.

I have been messing around with some wish-lists on Newegg. The A10 cost about $130, while the A8 cost around the $100 mark. On the other hand, a quad-core Athlon cost around $70, while a Radeon 7750 is $100, coming to $170 total for that setup, which has been proven to work. I am still searching around a bit, but am probably going to go with an A8, as that also gives the option of adding in a 6670 if more performance is desired at a later date.

I am not 100 percent certain yet though, so please keep the help coming! Specifically, first-hand experience about A8 performance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you to all of the helpful people who answered above, as well as any who have yet to answer.
Score
November 16, 2012 2:32:17 AM

DJRmazing said:
Quote:
rambisco:

http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 304-5.html

Thanks for the link, I was having trouble finding benchmarks for the chips alone, without being paired with another graphics card. This looks like exactly what I need. Unfortunately I was only able to skim it at the moment, and not thoroughly read through all the info (yet). The numbers look promising though.

Quote:
HungryFiend:

Thanks for the info. Keep me updated if you get the machine up and running in the next few days, I would like some first-hand experience on how it performs.

Quote:
A Bad Day:

I personally am usually against dual-card setups to begin with, but this looks like it could work out well. I will keep your tip about the RAM in mind as well, if I decide to go this route.

What do you mean by microstuttering? I have not heard of this before, can you explain what it is, and explain why you think adding one of the recommended cards to the A8 or A10 would increase the chances of it? Thank you.

I have been messing around with some wish-lists on Newegg. The A10 cost about $130, while the A8 cost around the $100 mark. On the other hand, a quad-core Athlon cost around $70, while a Radeon 7750 is $100, coming to $170 total for that setup, which has been proven to work. I am still searching around a bit, but am probably going to go with an A8, as that also gives the option of adding in a 6670 if more performance is desired at a later date.

I am not 100 percent certain yet though, so please keep the help coming! Specifically, first-hand experience about A8 performance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you to all of the helpful people who answered above, as well as any who have yet to answer.

A8 is fine for source and minecraft at 1080p. Although I'd say get 1866 RAM with an APU, it REALLY helps performance.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/E/S/341380/original/mem%20...
Score
November 16, 2012 12:52:22 PM

rambisco said:
A8 is fine for source and minecraft at 1080p. Although I'd say get 1866 RAM with an APU, it REALLY helps performance.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/E/S/341380/original/mem%20...

Alright, that is probably what I will go for. Do you know if all the issues (if there were any) for adding another card have been ironed out? Is it as simple as plug and play, or are there some settings that need to be tweaked with. (Which I don't care if there are, as long as it works after. The person I am building it for isn't very tech-savvy, and I don't want to have to go over every other day to fix some obscure issue.)

Also, do you have any links or experience about how much the performance increases when adding another card? I don't really view the 6450 as that powerful, but for $30 it by be worth getting if it increases the performance a noticeable amount.

Thanks again.
Score
November 17, 2012 1:21:37 AM

DJRmazing said:
Alright, that is probably what I will go for. Do you know if all the issues (if there were any) for adding another card have been ironed out? Is it as simple as plug and play, or are there some settings that need to be tweaked with. (Which I don't care if there are, as long as it works after. The person I am building it for isn't very tech-savvy, and I don't want to have to go over every other day to fix some obscure issue.)

Also, do you have any links or experience about how much the performance increases when adding another card? I don't really view the 6450 as that powerful, but for $30 it by be worth getting if it increases the performance a noticeable amount.

Thanks again.

All I know about asymmetric crossfire is that it sucks. The best card you can use is the 6670, and you get microstutter galore. I don't have any links for proof, but from my own experiences it isn't worth it. The 6450 I assume would only be way worse.

(Microstutter is when the game seems laggy even though you're getting smooth enough FPS. When the cards aren't the same especially, the distance between two frames fluctuates which doesn't look smooth at all.)
Score
November 17, 2012 4:59:28 PM

rambisco said:
All I know about asymmetric crossfire is that it sucks. The best card you can use is the 6670, and you get microstutter galore. I don't have any links for proof, but from my own experiences it isn't worth it. The 6450 I assume would only be way worse.

(Microstutter is when the game seems laggy even though you're getting smooth enough FPS. When the cards aren't the same especially, the distance between two frames fluctuates which doesn't look smooth at all.)

Alright, thanks again for all the help.

Best answer selected.
Score
!