RDC Which service/software to use?

thestrangebrew

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
I'm in the process of building a media server, and I mentioned to my wife that eventually we can record her shows in HD and get rid of the costs of having a dvr with our cable bill. I was doing some research and I've come to the conclusion that I may need to increase the budget for my build (which is extremely tight) and will not sit well with the wife. I'm using all older/recycled hardware, specs below:

AMD 4400+
asus a8n 32 sli delux mobo
2gb ddr ram
1tb samsung hdd
antec 600w psu
windows xp

I just read last night that I'll need at least xp pro in order to access my server (host?) remotely from say my parents house on a laptop (client?) Is there a workaround or some other program that I could use for windows environment. I'm considering linux for the server also but I've never used any form of linux before, so I fig'd, until I get the hang of setting up the server and having it working properly, maybe make the switch to linux later. The server will be hooked up to my ps3 which will stream movies/tv shows, and I'd like to be able to access my network to watch shows from a different location when I'm out of town.

Thanks.

PS.