Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Monitors
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2012 2:55:42 PM

I've just recently built a computer. All of the fans and lights turn on when I press the power button, however nothing displays on the monitor I have the computer plugged in to. I can verify that the monitor in fact works because I've used it on a different computer in the past 24 hours. Any advice?

More about : shows screen

December 31, 2012 3:19:35 PM

Sounds like there's a problem with your PSU or your motherboard, can you post your specs?
m
l
Related resources
December 31, 2012 5:03:58 PM

Update: I've replaced the power supply in the computer with a power supply from another working computer that I have -- still no luck. Anyone have any ideas?
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:17:29 PM

Bump. Sorry to be that guy who bumps his own thread, but I really need help here. Please?
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:30:54 PM

It doesn't seem like either of the power supplies nicely fits into the 24 pin slot if that could be the problem.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
December 31, 2012 5:40:27 PM

sorry we could not help quicker, do you have any other gpu to test? if so then test it

also it could be your ram as well if the ram is faulty you wont even post ie. no display

so yeah i dont think your motherboard is dead nor you psu if they were it would atleast post so you need to try different ram and a different gpu
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:42:22 PM

it sounds like there's power to the motherboard. It's most likely that you got bad ram. most likely, one works, one doesn't. try fresh ram to start. then test one at a time to find the bad stick.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:43:27 PM

Try the video output on your mobo if you have one.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:43:42 PM

I don't have a GPU in this build, just an APU(processor with built-in graphics that are about equal to a low-medium end graphics card), so unless I'm misunderstanding you, I can't do that.

I'll try out some different ram combinations and get back to you. Thanks for posting btw, sorry if I sounded impatient.
m
l
a c 112 C Monitor
a b B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2012 5:46:42 PM

make sure your jpower2 4 pin plug near the top back of the mb is connected. (it a 4 pin plug). also make sure used the brass mb stand off to keep the mb from shorting out. also check that the motherboard shield fingers not shorting the mb out.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:48:52 PM

smorizio said:
make sure your jpower2 4 pin plug near the top back of the mb is connected. (it a 4 pin plug). also make sure used the brass mb stand off to keep the mb from shorting out. also check that the motherboard shield fingers not shorting the mb out.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I'm relatively new to this still.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
December 31, 2012 5:49:01 PM

lxgoldsmith said:
it sounds like there's power to the motherboard. It's most likely that you got bad ram. most likely, one works, one doesn't. try fresh ram to start. then test one at a time to find the bad stick.

i just said that? :p 
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:51:31 PM

smorizio said:

there's no way it's not getting power, he said the fans start in response to him pressing the power button. that means the chipset is running right. the most common problem with a black screen with no post is bad ram.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:52:33 PM

I've been through that thread earlier, nothing on it seems to help me. I'll try a few more things with the ram and see how that goes.
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:54:06 PM

I took the ram out of a working computer that I already had and then put one stick in to the first slot, tried it and it didn't work, then I added the second stick into the second slot, tried it, and it still didn't work. Does that eliminate ram as the problem?
m
l
December 31, 2012 5:56:43 PM

HungryFiend said:
I took the ram out of a working computer that I already had and then put one stick in to the first slot, tried it and it didn't work, then I added the second stick into the second slot, tried it, and it still didn't work. Does that eliminate ram as the problem?

now make sure you're using the right kind of RAM. if so, I'd worry about a short circuit or esd.
m
l
a c 112 C Monitor
a b B Homebuilt system
December 31, 2012 5:57:31 PM

take a look at your mb guild that came with the mb. page 18 1-6. plugs on the mb. there are two power plugs on most new mb a 24 pin and a 4 pin. did you make sure the 4 pin plug on top of the user guild jp2 is plunged in. if the fans are moving but there no video check that the clear cmos jumper is in the right spot and the reset cable and other case cables are on right. if it wont post try bread boarding the mb outside the case.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:04:21 PM

I believe I'm using the right kind of ram. The mobo is rated for 2166 ram and I first tried 1866 ram and then the ram we took out of the working computer was 1333 ram.

What is the clear cmos jumper? I currently don't have anything plugged in there.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:10:10 PM

HungryFiend said:
I believe I'm using the right kind of ram. The mobo is rated for 2166 ram and I first tried 1866 ram and then the ram we took out of the working computer was 1333 ram.

What is the clear cmos jumper? I currently don't have anything plugged in there.

make sure it is ddr3 if that is what your motherboard takes.

make sure everything is plugged in all the way, including the cpu power.

the cmos jumper is a set of 3 pins with a jumper on 2 of them. normally, you would clear the cmos by moving the jumper to the other side and then back. that's in case you lost your bios password or screwed up the settings.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:12:52 PM

Everything clicks when plugged in except for the 24 pin power plug. I'm pushing harder than it feels like I should to try to plug it in, and it feels like if I push any harder it'll break the motherboard or something. Could that be the problem?
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:17:36 PM

Another thing I thought might be worth mentioning is that when I press the front power button, the computer turns on, but the front power button will not turn off the computer. I have to flip the switch in the back in order to shut it off.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:17:40 PM

HungryFiend said:
Everything clicks when plugged in except for the 24 pin power plug. I'm pushing harder than it feels like I should to try to plug it in, and it feels like if I push any harder it'll break the motherboard or something. Could that be the problem?

it could be. if not, google it, you may not be the only one with that problem.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:22:40 PM

HungryFiend said:
Another thing I thought might be worth mentioning is that when I press the front power button, the computer turns on, but the front power button will not turn off the computer. I have to flip the switch in the back in order to shut it off.

Sorry I didn't ask this earlier: does the monitor tell that it's receiving signal? ie power button turning green, back-light coming on, etc

if you hold down the power button for 4-6 seconds, does it turn off?
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:24:18 PM

It seriously feels like the 24 pin connector is not seated right. It will wiggle back and forth but will not go completely in, and it will not hook into the given spot. Both power supplies I have been testing have this problem, and one of them is from an already working computer.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:26:06 PM

HungryFiend said:
It seriously feels like the 24 pin connector is not seated right. It will wiggle back and forth but will not go completely in, and it will not hook into the given spot. Both power supplies I have been testing have this problem, and one of them is from an already working computer.

don't force it, try putting it in the other way if it'll go.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:27:14 PM

lxgoldsmith said:
Sorry I didn't ask this earlier: does the monitor tell that it's receiving signal? ie power button turning green, back-light coming on, etc

if you hold down the power button for 4-6 seconds, does it turn off?

No to both questions. The monitor remains in standby mode, waiting for signal. I can sit there and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds and nothing will happen.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:33:27 PM

lxgoldsmith said:
don't force it, try putting it in the other way if it'll go.

It will not go in at all if i try to flip the plug around but normally there is a slight gap between the plug's edge and the motherboard female end.
m
l
December 31, 2012 6:43:30 PM

I think i am going to start calling the company's starting with the motherboard company MSI and then AMD to ask about the processor and try to see what is wrong with some professional help. Thank you everyone for you help it is greatly appreciated.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
December 31, 2012 7:40:15 PM

hye hungry do you have the 24 pin in the wrong way so is the clip thing on the wrong side if it is then that would explain your problem, also please make sure every connection is secure and is in the right place if connector is in the right way and is still loose after lots of effort you may need to put a little more force on it until it clicks... though if it is still loose and is in the right place then contact the manufacturers you may need to rma your motherbaord/psu
m
l