Nothing Shows Up on Screen

HungryFiend

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I've just recently built a computer. All of the fans and lights turn on when I press the power button, however nothing displays on the monitor I have the computer plugged in to. I can verify that the monitor in fact works because I've used it on a different computer in the past 24 hours. Any advice?

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
sorry we could not help quicker, do you have any other gpu to test? if so then test it

also it could be your ram as well if the ram is faulty you wont even post ie. no display

so yeah i dont think your motherboard is dead nor you psu if they were it would atleast post so you need to try different ram and a different gpu

HungryFiend

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I don't have a GPU in this build, just an APU(processor with built-in graphics that are about equal to a low-medium end graphics card), so unless I'm misunderstanding you, I can't do that.

I'll try out some different ram combinations and get back to you. Thanks for posting btw, sorry if I sounded impatient.

HungryFiend

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean. I'm relatively new to this still.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems
and standoffs
IMG_6805.jpg

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

there's no way it's not getting power, he said the fans start in response to him pressing the power button. that means the chipset is running right. the most common problem with a black screen with no post is bad ram.

HungryFiend

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I took the ram out of a working computer that I already had and then put one stick in to the first slot, tried it and it didn't work, then I added the second stick into the second slot, tried it, and it still didn't work. Does that eliminate ram as the problem?

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

now make sure you're using the right kind of RAM. if so, I'd worry about a short circuit or esd.

take a look at your mb guild that came with the mb. page 18 1-6. plugs on the mb. there are two power plugs on most new mb a 24 pin and a 4 pin. did you make sure the 4 pin plug on top of the user guild jp2 is plunged in. if the fans are moving but there no video check that the clear cmos jumper is in the right spot and the reset cable and other case cables are on right. if it wont post try bread boarding the mb outside the case.

HungryFiend

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
I believe I'm using the right kind of ram. The mobo is rated for 2166 ram and I first tried 1866 ram and then the ram we took out of the working computer was 1333 ram.

What is the clear cmos jumper? I currently don't have anything plugged in there.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

make sure it is ddr3 if that is what your motherboard takes.

make sure everything is plugged in all the way, including the cpu power.

the cmos jumper is a set of 3 pins with a jumper on 2 of them. normally, you would clear the cmos by moving the jumper to the other side and then back. that's in case you lost your bios password or screwed up the settings.

HungryFiend

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Everything clicks when plugged in except for the 24 pin power plug. I'm pushing harder than it feels like I should to try to plug it in, and it feels like if I push any harder it'll break the motherboard or something. Could that be the problem?

HungryFiend

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
Another thing I thought might be worth mentioning is that when I press the front power button, the computer turns on, but the front power button will not turn off the computer. I have to flip the switch in the back in order to shut it off.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

it could be. if not, google it, you may not be the only one with that problem.

lxgoldsmith

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2012

Sorry I didn't ask this earlier: does the monitor tell that it's receiving signal? ie power button turning green, back-light coming on, etc

if you hold down the power button for 4-6 seconds, does it turn off?