Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Media Center
  • HD
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2012 2:20:38 AM

I am trying to convert an old Gateway GT5432 into a media center for playing HD movies. I would like to upgrade the video card but only have a 300 PSU. Any recommendations for a card that will do the following:

-HDMI Out that will also handle sound to the reciever unit

-Work well with HD 1080p

-Handle formats like MKV

-Work on a 300w PSW

I am leaning toward XBMC and here is what they recommend.

ATI Radeon R420 (X800) or newer supported, ATI Radeon R700 (HD 4000) or newer recommended.
Intel GMA 950 (945G) or newer supported, Intel GMA X4500HD (G45) or newer recommended.
NVIDIA GeForce 6-Series and newer supported, GeForce 8-Series and newer recommended.

Any advice would be much appreciated thank you.

More about : building media center card advice

a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2012 4:31:16 AM

For HTPC, it need to be silence. So this HIS iSilence H775P1GD Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card will do the job just fine for $105. You can even do some light gaming with it.

Or, if you want to save budget, you can always go with this SAPPHIRE Ultimate Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card for $85.

Both of the cards will work well with Full HD contents, and will work with your current PSU.
m
l
November 16, 2012 1:08:42 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. If I may add a follow up. Would you have given different solutions if sound wasn't a huge concern? this will be in a media closet and as long it isn't louder than some case fans should be fine.

Also for the two listed the details show they need a 400w PSU. Are they just padding those to be safe?

Thanks for all of the help thus far.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 16, 2012 10:05:13 PM

Well, if you go without fanless card, it'll be cheaper. Like this SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card for $100.

But I highly reccommend you to take the fanless card for $5 more. Reason is you can keep the card longer cause there are no moving parts. Risk of failure of the fan maybe there for the with fan graphics card.

And, the 400W listed is just for safety. The maximum power consumption for the 7750 is just around 50W. Also, this is just for media center, so this card is plenty enough to deliver what you want, except for heavy gaming.
m
l
!