1080p lags in YouTube but not in Gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Headbomb

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I can play Skyrim on medium at 1920 by 1080 with my Nvidia Geforce 9800gt but I cant watch a YouTube video on 1080p without lagging badly. I have all the latest drivers installed and everything!

What could be the problem?

CPU is a Intel Pentium dual core 2.9ghz

thank you

Flash can be very inefficient, and that might be causing jerky playback. Update to the latest version if you haven't already.

Go into your browser options and see if you can turn on GPU (might be called hardware) acceleration, that may also help your youtube video playback. Problem is, I think GPU acceleration in most web browsers is restricted to DirectX 11 cards, so you may not be able to do that with your 9800GT, but it's worth a try.

it could be your flash player. in the past nvidia have lag issues when playing you tube videos in full screen but it has been fix since 285.xx WHQL driver. just now i tried playing some you tube videos (in full screen as well) there is no lag. currently using the latest beta driver.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Check task manager. If your browser is taking up a full core of processing power when the video is laggy, you have your answer. 50%= 1 core of a dual core. 25%= 1 core of a quad core.

You have a Pentium Dual core 2.9GHZ ... if that's a Pentium D that might not have enough processing power.

You can download the video with 'youtube downloader' or some similar program, and then play the video in a video player that takes advantage of your video card.

Headbomb

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Hmm, I have the latest drivers and the latest flash player update. The processor is sufficient too. It spikes at 40% when playing but then hovers around 6% for the rest of the video.

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
This happpened yo me a few days ago seems to have stopped now, it was a very strange kind of lag...

..I was watching gaming videos at the time and I actually thought it was lag in the original footage...

I think it may have had something to do with YouTube messing about with their format again...Seems to be fine for me now

paddys09

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
I have a feeling that YouTube has been playing about with their codec a little bit, possibly trying to get higher bit rates as a lot of uploaders use fairly high end equipment nowadays capable of in excess of 90Mbps

...I still think your hardware is capable of it as it can play bluray and thats around 30-40 Mbps compared to Youtube at around 8 Mbps...

I would play around a little bit more, experiment with settings and different browsers and roll back flash to see if that helps

griptwister

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2012
It's probably the flash player... Youtube dislikes Google Chrome. Also, wi-fi connection could be a problem too... I've noticed that when my laptop is directly connected to the internet, it runs youtube better. IMO, youtube is jacked up... and they keep jacking it up worse and worse... its getting to the point to where its almost a pain in the donkey to watch or even use your youtube account. Flash Player always crashes for me, no matter what PC I am on, even my friend's i7 2600k GTX 580 Rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.