Upgrade options and opinions.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I've already asked this before regarding upgrading my EVGA GTX 660ti SC graphics card and kept thinking I should get a better card but is it worth it. Now,for those that don't know, once I purchase a 20$ extended warranty,which I've considered buying anyway, for an additional 2 years of warranty service, I can also participate in EVGA's step-up program. It allows you, within 90 days of purchase of original equipment, to trade in your current graphics card and upgrade while paying the difference in cost.

My current options for an upgrade are these(links included):

GTX 680 4GB with Backplate

GTX 680 FTW LE

GTX 680

GTX 670 4GB Superclocked

GTX 670

My reason for upgrading is that I bought the 660ti and then turned out to have extra cash which is always nice to have laying around for a bit. So, I figured why not try to take advantage of this upgrade while i can. I purchased this card on the 27th of October, so I still have plenty of time to request an upgrade.

Which one, if any, would you consider upgrading to or would you just keep the current 660ti and wait until something better comes out next year.

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012
I have a more specific question. How would the 192-bit memory interface affect me opposed to the 256-bit interface that the higher cards offer?

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
It'll choke your games up at higher resolutions. (since it it limits the amount of information your gpu sends to the monitor)

What's the resolution you game on?

and if you're not gaming on triple monitors, you don't need the 4GB editions.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

Well, a single overclocked GTX 670 will suit you fine... (unless you're on a 120hz monitor)

I pretty much run most games at 60+ fps with dips into the 50s (unless on multiplayer, which then it's usually more cpu limited)

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012

No, I'm not on a 120hz display. Thanks for you input, though. I guess if I start having problems, it wouldn't hurt to tone down the resolution or go into windowed mode. It isn't worth the hassle of shipping stuff back and forth and paying out the difference for something that seems to be only a small upgrade. I'm going to make the conclusion that the 660ti should play anything that comes out for the next couple years. Maybe not on max, but at a decent quality that doesn't ruin the game.

I mainly run games at 60fps and use vsync and everything seems to run fine. Borderlands will drop at times at high intensity situations, but quickly regroups back to 60.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
well, on multiplayer games, it's usually cpu limited. so as long as you have a decent overclock, it's gonna be fine.

(and i just realized my signature wasn't on lol. I got a GTX 670 FTW)

jrmurph3

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Oh yes, I do understand CPU performance is much different multiplayer. I currently run an i5-3550(I can't remember why I didn't purchase the unlocked i5), but I don't have the net to really play online games anyway.