Sign in with
Your question

Power supply enough for my build?

Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2012 7:00:13 PM

Hi all, I've been having some issues with my graphics card. My whole system works ok apart from my graphics card. The fans spin up but no signal is produced. The card does indeed work as I tried it in a friends PC. I thought it would either be the motherboard is defective or that my power supply is not enough, although I'm not convinced it is because my friend has the exact same build as me except for our motherboards.

My build is as follows:
Aerocool X warrior PGS case
I5 3570 CPU
Gigabyte GA Z77 D3H motherboard
Sapphire 7850 OC
OCZ SSD
Seagate barracuda 1TB
8GB Corsair vengeance 1600mHz
600w OCZ mod PSU

I also have 4 12cm fans, but I don't think they draw much power.

If anyone would know if this is the PSU or the motherboard, it would be a great deal of help.

Thanks very much, Thomas

More about : power supply build

December 31, 2012 7:06:56 PM

550W would be enough if you dont plan to CrossFire

if you do want to CrossFire in the future bump up to a 750W
December 31, 2012 7:13:49 PM

So your saying my PSU is not the problem and is most likely a motherboard fault? This is what I initially thought but wanted to check if that was enough power.
Related resources
December 31, 2012 7:17:58 PM

Sorry a lot of PSU questions going around didnt read your first post properly enough to give u a good answer.

OCZ produces good PSUs so it sounds like a motherboard error to me but I am no expert and is just my guess that would be the first area i check
December 31, 2012 7:25:26 PM

Ok thanks a lot. As long as I know it's not down to my PSU it's all good. Will try RMA my motherboard.
a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 7:30:53 PM

Try a psu swap with your friend.
-Bruce
a b U Graphics card
December 31, 2012 7:47:01 PM

Also check to see if there a bios update for your board and make sure you installed all the updated chipset drivers. You didn't mention what type of problem you were seeing with your card either may have beter suggestions if we know more.
December 31, 2012 9:04:39 PM

The problem with my card is it doesn't display any signal from any of the sockets when connected to my monitor, where as it does when just using the integrated graphics from my motherboard.
!