jchappj

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
Hi All,
I'm planning on upgrading my Nomad 6GB to an IBM 20GB Travelstar using Tom's article as a guide. When I acquired the drive the guy tried to tell me changing these drives out is a job for a clean room and shouldn't be done at home. Is there any truth to this? Also, if there's anyone who has completed this project I'd appreciate any and all comments on how you made out, particularly with dos and don'ts. Thanks in advance,
Jack

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
From reading that part of the drive swap article, I would have to say that the guy that sold you the drive doesn't know what he's talking about. The only reason you would need a clean room is if you removed the cover of the drive itself.

I wouldn't worry about anything as long as you follow his article to a "T". Other then that I have never done this so I couldn't tell you if it works or not!

<font color=red>I aM WE ToDD DiD.</font color=red><font color=white> I aM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOfA KING WE ToDD DiD</font color=blue>

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
No adequate answer... The depot provided training for me on all particular models of laptops prior they allowed to work. But those were customers' computers. I remember only one time I was asked to finish the replacement of something on one IBM that was unfamiliar to me. It remained dead, the case was reported, and I think that was a set up.
It isn't difficult, actually. If you have some basic skills (especially fixing small home electronic devices as a radio, walkman).

Try to figure out the right procedure on opening the case and disassembly. Put notes on every screw and detail you take out. You should have a plastic stick and tweezers in addition to your screwdrivers. Mind the electrostatic discharge. No, that's not difficult and you can do it.

G

The guy at the depot was trying to Swindle(tm) you into paying for installation costs. Installing a notebook harddrive is only marginally more difficult than installing a hard drive in a desktop system (because different notebooks have different configurations)

I agree with NickM> you wouldn't want to fry your notebook, so I would recommend using some antistatic wristband while you do the upgrade

I agree with Lars> He doesn't know jack, and was trying to rip you off ;-)

Best of luck to you!