Play online with dialup?

FatBurger

Illustrious
Well, I recently started playing Tribes 2 online with my screaming 56k connection. Surprisingly, it has almost no lag. Pings of 130 and up.

What other games are playable with a dialup connection, while I wait until I can get DSL/cable?

<font color=green>They may take our lives, but they will never take our freedom!</font color=green>

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
it depends, I only got cable a few weeks ago, used to play Q2, UT, Counterstrike online, it depends a lot on your modem (really!!!!), your isp, and of course the server you connect to, My little counterstrike server for eg, if I connect to it via modem on other system, I pping about 130 ish, but other modem users range from 130 to 300+++, best to try and find a local server. Also depends on how busy the network traffic is at the time. On a modem when gaming, disable all background stuff that uses/monitors the net, such as any chat windows, icq etc- they dont hog much bandwith, but every bit counts when on a dialup.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Until recently I played Total Annihilation quite a bit. It ran pretty good on a 56k, which is what I have as well. You just have to keep the unit counts down and I guess you have to be willing to play a game that old. I'm a little behind the times I guess. Haven't even tried TA Kingdoms yet.

G

130 ping???? do you see that ping when you join server?
or do you press ESC and look at your ping? cuz I get 140 when I see the server list, but then it goes up to 230...it's not bad though, I don't get lag. I have a kick ass modem(USRobotics hardware Perofrmance Pro) that gives a connection of 38,666 with a line that Earthlink says can only 28.8 and the actualy bandwith is 36Kbps!! I'm also waiting for a reply from www.usr.com about the GAMING feature that increases upload with my modem....
What connection do you get? and what is your ISP? is Earthlink and good for gaming? Do you use any connection boosters like iSpeed (www.hms.com)

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
i said thats what modem users get when they connect to my counterstrike server, I personally ping around 8-15. but since I'm like 2 metres away on another pc connected via a 100meg lan card thats to be expected. Friends that live locally on cable ping around 20-30 and as I said before, modem users anywhere from around 130.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers

FatBurger

Illustrious
My ping is usually a little higher than that in the game, but not much.

I connect with a Lucent 56k v.90 WinModem in my parents P3 Dell. My computer is networked, so it's acting like it's over a LAN. I don't know what my connection speed is set to in Tribes, I need to check.

My ISP is MSN (free for a year with the Dell), and I usually connect at 49 or 50k.

<font color=green>In memory of all the Americans that died 9/11/01
Rest in peace</font color=green>

Most games play good online if you have a fast computer. Meaning a 900mhz or faster system.
I force a 115200 connection by adding AT&F&C1&D2 to the ,advanced command line options for my modem.This works on all the modems I have tried it on except my mother in laws US Robotics in south Florida. Something about a dual analog connection limiting it to 33,600. A fair amount of my downloads will start at 7.??kbs or so and go up to 11.??kbs. But my connection can not sustain this , so it slowly drops to 4.2??kbs or so. I play AOE2 Conquerers on zone and usually enter the game in the 2nd or 3rd player slot. Rarely get booted for slow pings.

I aint signing nothing!!!

FatBurger

Illustrious
Wow, almost forgot about this thread :)

I don't like Diablo, otherwise I'd take you up on the offer. I might have to try it again, though.

<font color=orange>Quarter <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
Tried out the orignal Tribes the other day. Still haven't tried Tribes 2 yet. I assume the graphics are a million times better on 2 but the whole team work concept is pretty cool. Friend I was playing with spent the entire time making repairs and dropping packs. I think that part would get a little old (I've gotta kill something if I'm playing) but I like the whole team work concept. You can't win if you don't have people willing to do the crappy nonviolent stuff.

“Man who stand on toilet must be high on pot”-Confucius :smile:

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
I'll probably try 2 after I get dsl (which I hope to have soon). Only tried tribes on a cable connection. I don't think my poor 56k could handle online play. Do you stick to games with other 56k users or do you compete with people with better connections? Seems like someone usually has a server going just for people with high lag on most multiplay games. I just wondered if your ping is compared to people with good dsl or cable?

“Man who stand on toilet must be high on pot”-Confucius :smile: