Counter-Strike,@home,Router+switches,two players?

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I want to use my three computers on the internet, plus when my son is over to visit, I want to play CS in an internet game with him in the same game. Can a modem+router+switch do this over ATT@home or will I need to get the second IP adress for $7 a month extra?
Thanks, Take-Out

The early bird gets the worm. The early worm gets the bird.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DAAA BBUUUUMMMMPPPPPP Perhaps I should say that we currently can play side by side by using my two ISP dial-up accounts and my two Half-Life CD ID numbers. I need to know if I will continue to achieve this with a cable modem and router/switch. Thanks, Take-Out

G

yeah. i have cox@home here in RI and i do exactly what you describe all the time (shhhhh). if you hook the cable modem up to a router (i use the linksys 4 port model and think its excellent), then connect the pcs to the router, you will not need additional ip's from the cable server. the router will act as a network address translator so all the interent will see is one address hitting the same game twice. which, by the way, CS and all half-life mods seem to support very well. i have had five pcs all running the same cd installation all using the same external ip address (router) in the same game getting excellent ping!!

ignore everything i say

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks a whole lot, that puts me that much further ahead of the deal when the cable guy comes Aug 15. I can't wait, I've been using dial up for 4 years and do ok sometimes in CS (top 2/3s) and TFC (top 1/4) in most games if I'm not drunk, and think I'll do better with a ping under 200. I do think I will get a Linksys BFRxx41 with the 4 port switch. That way I can have a little better ping maybe than my 4 port hub.
Take Care. Take-Out

G

remember not to mention the router or other pcs that you intend to hookup to the modem to the tech from @home........he might want you to sign up for additional ip's. sshhhhhh

ignore everything i say

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks, point taken, mum is the word. Do you get a pretty good ping, even with 2 or more players on the same IP addr?
Good Luck, Take-Out

The early bird gets the worm. The early worm gets the bird.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 08/13/01 04:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

i regularly play with two or three pcs all in the same game and our ping never gets more than 180 or so, depending on the game. the thing about having a router that is also a switch is that it really doesnt decrease your access speed when you add another user (unlike a hub), within reason of course. but the ping for one user shouldnt decrease by much if you add another few. ive had five guys playing on the same cable line in the same game smooth as silk! often, with pings around 60 or so....

ignore everything i say

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
More great news, and things just get better. Thanks much for the info.
I'm sure others also are reading and learning. Sharing knowledge is great in these forums.
I'm only hoping for pings under 100 average, with occasions and certain times going down to maybe 50 or so. I will let readers know what I get here in this thread when I get hooked up although I will only have the one modem and PC hooked up at first (might try with the hub, tho, just to see, heh).
Anybody here have a wireless net/router/4-port switch going and if so, how's the ping over the wireless part?
Thanks much, Take-Out

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
YAHOO!! I got it installed, no probs so far. It is definitely quicker than dial-up. Just had a chance so far to get into one game of Counter-Strike and the ping was from 90 to 180. Will try some familiar games tonite later when I settle down a little with physically moving stuff around to accomodate the new modem.
Saw the wireless router 4-switch at Best Buy for $200, am comtemplating getting it so when laptops eventually have real gaming capabilities, I'll be able to take it in to take a crap and play (heh). Yeah Daddy, the way of the future. Anyways, I'll make another report maybe tomorrow on tonite's games and let yall know.
Good Luck, Take-Out
UPDATE: I JUST WENT TO MY SERVER THAT I USUALLY GET 210 PING AND I GOT 25 ping for a good ten minutes of playing until I came here to report- more later.

The early bird gets the worm. The early worm gets the bird.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 08/15/01 05:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

njeske

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
I use Counter-Strike over @Home as well and it works great. I also have the Linksys 4-port router, but I use a hub on one of the ports to connect up several computers since I have six in my house. I have run counter-strike on 5 at a time over the internet with good ping on all of them.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for sharing, didn't know you could subnet on a port to get more players on. Did some more testing last night and got about 55 average ping on another server so I YAM HAPPY.
The cable passed the test for ping with flying colors, now I am kicking myself for not getting it sooner, when I realized I wasn't going to get DSL for some time, oh well, live and learn, at least I have it now.
For those of you like myself, who thought cable wouldn't have good ping, try it, you'll like it.
I think I am going to get the wireless/router/4-switch Linksys model, as I have heard that they work good. I am shopping for one now.
Good Luck, Take-Out

Butch2112

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
The linksys befsr41 is the only way to go It sells foe about 123 bucks here (nashville TN)Last week best buy had it for 70 bucks after all the rebate crap. The best way to play cs

If you see a turtle on top of a fence post,
It's a good bet somebody, put him up there.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Butch, thanks for the reply, the router I am looking at is about the same as the BFRS4 type, but with the addition of the wireless feature for additional linking. A wireless access point is about $200 anyway, so for me to get this in addition, is a pretty good deal, I think.
I have to read up on the reveiws to check the performance out and see if it is up to snuff with the plain router/4-port switch from Linksys. This is the fun part of buying components, is doing the research, at least for me, as it is anticipation.
Anyways I go on and on, Good Luck, Take-Out

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
I also use the Linksys 4-port router, it works fine.

Also, at least in my area, @home doesn't give a damn if you use a router.

Them: "Do you need any additional IPs?"
Me: "No, I already have a router."
Them: "Yeah, that's cheaper and does the same thing. Sounds good!"

<b>ßunn¥§troker 0wn§ j00!</b>

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks Bunny, for the reply and info. My latest episode:
On Sunday and Monday (19th and 20th), I got dumped and couldn't get back on due to bandwidth limitations. I called them today and they said they would monitor the area and see if someone has a server going or sumtin'. Said it may be several days before I see an improvement.
I measured my down and up load speeds using the dslreports.com tool and got 2 megs download speed and very good upload speed as well. This is ok, however, it was at 4pm and not at 6pm. I will check back and report if something else happens. Good Luck all, Take-Out

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, got the DRTC tweaking tool and did some stuff they recommended at DSLreports.com, but haven't seen the 2 Ms download speed again yet.
Am no longer considering the wireless router/switcher for gaming as I read the article here at THG. But am considering getting the switcher/wireless router to experiment with on the wireless side. Am now investigating the speed of the switched side ports to see if they are the same speed as the 4-port switcher/router only.
SEE YA Take-Out

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, The company evidently found a problem or server running so they fixed the speed and I am now achieving 3meg download and 1 meg upload!! Has been awhile, so started new thread asking about if or when they will cap me to 128k up.
Counter-Strike is great, am getting used to the 25-45 ping and my scores are improving somewhat, but not as much as I had originally thought. Seems Counter-Strike has excellent game induced compensation for lag issues. Am still looking at the Linksys wireless router with 4-port switch, but am getting distressing info like will cut download speed in half, am still checking on this issue.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
Take-Out

G

jesus, those are fast speeds. but, why would you think the Linksys router would cut download speeds in half? Are you talking about the wireless model?

ignore everything i say

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was reading a first-person journal of an unknown of his exploits trying to get a voice over internet connection going and the first thing he commented on following his installation of a Linksys 4 switch router was that he lost half his bandwidth for each added port.
Please tell me this isn't so if indeed he was mistaken, cause is has put on hold my intrest in the router.
Thanks, Take-Out
Live long and longer.

G

no way is that the case. Im not saying that this individual didnt experience that slowdown. i am saying that it had nothing to do with some limiting factor on the router. I have that router and it can handle upload/downloads speeds of 10 Mb/sec ove the internet and 100 Mbit/sec over LAN. In addition, because it uses a switch and not a hub, the router will experience almost no slowdown even when you have four or more pc's hooked up to the interenet, all downloading large files at the same time. This individual was more than likely using network configurations that interfered with the routers download speed, not the other way around. trust me, thats not going to happen.

ignore everything i say

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for clearing that up. I yam now on de trail agin.
Good Luck, Take-Out

Ron_Jeremy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is an open question to anyone that replied to this original post.
After reading all the posts above, I too have learned a lot, but still have 1 question. What if you weren't using shaw@home, but instead were using DSL that uses NAT? Would the Linksys router stuff mentioned above still apply?

Cheers,

Ron_Jeremy

If you loan a friend $20 & never see them again, it was worth it.

G

DSL is an obviously different method of transmitting data over the interent. but that doesnt matter to a router. It will handle the data in exactly the same way as it would from a cable modem (assuming that you get a DSL modem that uses an rj45 jack and not USB). If you had other questions about DSL modems and routers, let us know.....

ignore everything i say

G

Have read all your excellent advices. However, I'm not sure if I have understood everything correctly since I'm from Denmark and don't know the exact meaning of all the phrases. So: I have a cabble-modem with one dynamic IP, and I want to be able to go online with 2 computers and be able to play Counterstrike. What is neccesary? A hub or a switch, or can I simply use the first computer to go online, and the simply share the internet-connection? Thx in advance :)

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi Zimmerman. As I understand it, you need a modem and a router to play online in the same game together with two PCs on the same Internet Provider Cable. I just recieved my Toshiba cable modem and Linksys router w/4 switched ports that I ordered from Newegg.com Sept 3. I will be having my own adventure getting the network going and will report in here on anthing of value I run into. Someone else may have another version of playing on-line with 2 pcs and one IP without a router, but I don't know of one. By the way, your English is excellent.

Good Luck, Take-Out