DB9 Pinouts for Sola UPS

Archived from groups: alt.comp,alt.comp.answers,alt.comp.cableboyz,alt.comp.misc,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

G'day all, sorry about the massive crosspost.

Have a Sola 305 UPS (Best Power/Powerware), sans interface cable
(DB9).

Obviously, I'd rather make up a cable than pay someone else.

Searched high and low, but can't locate much *useful* information (to
a cable newbie, anyway!) regarding the pinouts and config of such.

The manual lists the pinouts (copied below), but, having never made up
a custom DB9 before, I can't really make head nor tail. It seems as
though I only have from the manual half the info needed.

What I'm after is someone who can tell me the pairs simply, for
example:

Male ----> Female
1 3
2 5
3 6
4 etc . . .

Here's the info from the manual.
Pin 1 RS232 Level Shutdown
(+12VDC signal held for 5 seconds causes shutdown 120 seconds
later. UPS restarts 15 seconds after power returns.)

Pin 2 Unused

Pin 3* Normally Open On-Battery Contact
(Pulls to common 15 seconds after UPS switches to battery
power.)

Pin 4 Common

Pin 5* Normally Open Low-Battery-Alarm Contact
(Pulls to common during Low-Battery Alarm (duh!))

Pin 6 Normally Closed Low-Battery-Alarm Contact
(Releases from common during low battery alarm. Tells some
software when to initiate a system shutdown.)

Pin 7 Unused

Pin 8* Normally Closed On-Battery Contact
(Releases from common 15 seconds after UPS switched to battery
power.)

Pin 9 Unused

[* Contacts consist of open collector circuits capable of switching up
to +30VDC, 6mA resistive load.]
Here's hoping.

TIA.

Cheers,
Dave

"I'd sell my soul for a Formula One racing car".

"Bart! Stop pestering Satan!"

David Melville wrote:

> G'day all, sorry about the massive crosspost.
>
> Have a Sola 305 UPS (Best Power/Powerware), sans interface cable
> (DB9).
>
> Obviously, I'd rather make up a cable than pay someone else.
>
> Searched high and low, but can't locate much *useful* information (to
> a cable newbie, anyway!) regarding the pinouts and config of such.
>
> The manual lists the pinouts (copied below), but, having never made up
> a custom DB9 before, I can't really make head nor tail. It seems as
> though I only have from the manual half the info needed.
>
> What I'm after is someone who can tell me the pairs simply, for
> example:
>
> Male ----> Female
> 1 3
> 2 5
> 3 6
> 4 etc . . .
>

> Here's the info from the manual.
> Pin 1 RS232 Level Shutdown
> (+12VDC signal held for 5 seconds causes shutdown 120 seconds
> later. UPS restarts 15 seconds after power returns.)
>

> Pin 2 Unused
>

> Pin 3* Normally Open On-Battery Contact
> (Pulls to common 15 seconds after UPS switches to battery
> power.)
>

> Pin 4 Common
>

> Pin 5* Normally Open Low-Battery-Alarm Contact
> (Pulls to common during Low-Battery Alarm (duh!))
>

> Pin 6 Normally Closed Low-Battery-Alarm Contact
> (Releases from common during low battery alarm. Tells some
> software when to initiate a system shutdown.)
>

> Pin 7 Unused
>

> Pin 8* Normally Closed On-Battery Contact
> (Releases from common 15 seconds after UPS switched to battery
> power.)
>

> Pin 9 Unused
>

> [* Contacts consist of open collector circuits capable of switching up
> to +30VDC, 6mA resistive load.]
> Here's hoping.
>
> TIA.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

> "I'd sell my soul for a Formula One racing car".
>
> "Bart! Stop pestering Satan!"
The pin specifications that you gave appear to be rather specific and
informative.
What you have *not* included is a description as to what thingus or
whatchamaxallit that you might connect that port cable to.

Archived from groups: alt.comp,alt.comp.answers,alt.comp.cableboyz,alt.comp.misc,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:32:43 GMT, Robert Baer
<robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote:

>David Melville wrote:
>
>> G'day all, sorry about the massive crosspost.
>>
>> Have a Sola 305 UPS (Best Power/Powerware), sans interface cable
>> (DB9).
>>
>> Obviously, I'd rather make up a cable than pay someone else.
>>
>> Searched high and low, but can't locate much *useful* information (to
>> a cable newbie, anyway!) regarding the pinouts and config of such.
>>
>> The manual lists the pinouts (copied below), but, having never made up
>> a custom DB9 before, I can't really make head nor tail. It seems as
>> though I only have from the manual half the info needed.
>>
>> What I'm after is someone who can tell me the pairs simply, for
>> example:
>>
>> Male ----> Female
>> 1 3
>> 2 5
>> 3 6
>> 4 etc . . .
>>

>> Here's the info from the manual.
>> Pin 1 RS232 Level Shutdown
>> (+12VDC signal held for 5 seconds causes shutdown 120 seconds
>> later. UPS restarts 15 seconds after power returns.)
>>

>> Pin 2 Unused
>>

>> Pin 3* Normally Open On-Battery Contact
>> (Pulls to common 15 seconds after UPS switches to battery
>> power.)
>>

>> Pin 4 Common
>>

>> Pin 5* Normally Open Low-Battery-Alarm Contact
>> (Pulls to common during Low-Battery Alarm (duh!))
>>

>> Pin 6 Normally Closed Low-Battery-Alarm Contact
>> (Releases from common during low battery alarm. Tells some
>> software when to initiate a system shutdown.)
>>

>> Pin 7 Unused
>>

>> Pin 8* Normally Closed On-Battery Contact
>> (Releases from common 15 seconds after UPS switched to battery
>> power.)
>>

>> Pin 9 Unused
>>

>> [* Contacts consist of open collector circuits capable of switching up
>> to +30VDC, 6mA resistive load.]
>> Here's hoping.
>>
>> TIA.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dave

>> "I'd sell my soul for a Formula One racing car".
>>
>> "Bart! Stop pestering Satan!"
> The pin specifications that you gave appear to be rather specific and
>informative.
> What you have *not* included is a description as to what thingus or
>whatchamaxallit that you might connect that port cable to.

from PC Serial Port (COM1) to UPS via DB9 serial cable.

The pinouts listed above are obviously (to me, anyway!!) the pin
assignments at the UPS end of things.

Not sure what pins to connect them to at the PC's COM port, though.

Hope that's what you're after.

David Melville wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>>------------------------------------------------
>>>"I'd sell my soul for a Formula One racing car".
>>>
>>>"Bart! Stop pestering Satan!"
>>>------------------------------------------------
>>
>> The pin specifications that you gave appear to be rather specific and
>>informative.
>> What you have *not* included is a description as to what thingus or
>>whatchamaxallit that you might connect that port cable to.
>

> from PC Serial Port (COM1) to UPS via DB9 serial cable.
>
> The pinouts listed above are obviously (to me, anyway!!) the pin
> assignments at the UPS end of things.
>
> Not sure what pins to connect them to at the PC's COM port, though.
>
> Hope that's what you're after.
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

> "I'd sell my soul for a Formula One racing car".

Pinouts are not standard for RS-232, and it seems that there are no
input lines.
Now the problem will be that *no* Baudout signaling is indicated by
the specs you gave - no start bit, no data bits, no stop bits.
The UART (or emulation of it in modern computers) is designed for
7-level (data bits) coding; emulations now may not support the original
5-level (data bits) coding.
So, a "fudge" is indicated:
UPS #4 (common) to COMx #7 (signal ground)
UPS #6 (N.C contact) to -5V and COMx #8 (received line signal detector)

One could alternately use COMx #5 (clear to send) or #6 (data set
ready) instead of #8 (received line signal detector).
Useage depends on programming (and maybe completeness of emulation).

If i remember my TTY nomenclature correctly, note that +5V is
considered a logic "1" ("mark") and -5V is considered a logic "0" ("space").
Default is binary "1" ("mark") except when a signal is transmitted;
an open circuit is also considered a logic "0" ("space") [at least for
teletypes].
I believe that signals of -3V and +3V are the "standard", with -5V
and +5V used for "compatibility" with DTL and TTL circuitry; the
threshold for timing purposes is defined at zero volts.

Archived from groups: alt.comp,alt.comp.answers,alt.comp.cableboyz,alt.comp.misc,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:33:24 GMT, Robert Baer
<robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote:

>David Melville wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 May 2005 18:32:43 GMT, Robert Baer
>> <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> The pin specifications that you gave appear to be rather specific and
>>>informative.
>>> What you have *not* included is a description as to what thingus or
>>>whatchamaxallit that you might connect that port cable to.
>>

>> from PC Serial Port (COM1) to UPS via DB9 serial cable.
>>
>> The pinouts listed above are obviously (to me, anyway!!) the pin
>> assignments at the UPS end of things.
>>
>> Not sure what pins to connect them to at the PC's COM port, though.
>>
>> Hope that's what you're after.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dave

>> "I'd sell my soul for a Formula One racing car".
>>
>> "Bart! Stop pestering Satan!"
> Pinouts are not standard for RS-232, and it seems that there are no
>input lines.
> Now the problem will be that *no* Baudout signaling is indicated by
>the specs you gave - no start bit, no data bits, no stop bits.
> The UART (or emulation of it in modern computers) is designed for
>7-level (data bits) coding; emulations now may not support the original
>5-level (data bits) coding.
> So, a "fudge" is indicated:
> UPS #4 (common) to COMx #7 (signal ground)
> UPS #6 (N.C contact) to -5V and COMx #8 (received line signal detector)
>
> One could alternately use COMx #5 (clear to send) or #6 (data set
>ready) instead of #8 (received line signal detector).
> Useage depends on programming (and maybe completeness of emulation).
>
> If i remember my TTY nomenclature correctly, note that +5V is
>considered a logic "1" ("mark") and -5V is considered a logic "0" ("space").
> Default is binary "1" ("mark") except when a signal is transmitted;
>an open circuit is also considered a logic "0" ("space") [at least for
>teletypes].
> I believe that signals of -3V and +3V are the "standard", with -5V
>and +5V used for "compatibility" with DTL and TTL circuitry; the
>threshold for timing purposes is defined at zero volts.

Remembering that I'm a little wobbly here, having never done it
before, does this mean the cable will be:

PC UPS

1 -
2 -
3 -

4 -
5 -
6 -

7 4 ground
8 6 Recieved line sig. det.
9 -

and that's all????????

Pretty sure I've interpreted that incorrectly.......

Please let me know what you mean via a table such as above.

TIA. Sorry for the apparent idiocy. I'm not stupid - just
inexperienced ;-)

David Melville wrote:

> On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:33:24 GMT, Robert Baer
> <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>David Melville wrote:

>>>from PC Serial Port (COM1) to UPS via DB9 serial cable.
>>>
>>>The pinouts listed above are obviously (to me, anyway!!) the pin
>>>assignments at the UPS end of things.
>>>
>>>Not sure what pins to connect them to at the PC's COM port, though.
>>>
>>>Hope that's what you're after.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>>------------------------------------------------
>>>"I'd sell my soul for a Formula One racing car".
>>>
>>>"Bart! Stop pestering Satan!"
>>>------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Pinouts are not standard for RS-232, and it seems that there are no
>>input lines.
>> Now the problem will be that *no* Baudout signaling is indicated by
>>the specs you gave - no start bit, no data bits, no stop bits.
>> The UART (or emulation of it in modern computers) is designed for
>>7-level (data bits) coding; emulations now may not support the original
>>5-level (data bits) coding.
>> So, a "fudge" is indicated:
>> UPS #4 (common) to COMx #7 (signal ground)
>> UPS #6 (N.C contact) to -5V and COMx #8 (received line signal detector)
>>
>> One could alternately use COMx #5 (clear to send) or #6 (data set
>>ready) instead of #8 (received line signal detector).
>> Useage depends on programming (and maybe completeness of emulation).
>>
>> If i remember my TTY nomenclature correctly, note that +5V is
>>considered a logic "1" ("mark") and -5V is considered a logic "0" ("space").
>> Default is binary "1" ("mark") except when a signal is transmitted;
>>an open circuit is also considered a logic "0" ("space") [at least for
>>teletypes].
>> I believe that signals of -3V and +3V are the "standard", with -5V
>>and +5V used for "compatibility" with DTL and TTL circuitry; the
>>threshold for timing purposes is defined at zero volts.
>

> Remembering that I'm a little wobbly here, having never done it
> before, does this mean the cable will be:
>

> PC UPS
>
> 1 -
> 2 -
> 3 -
>
> 4 -
> 5 -
> 6 -
>
> 7 4 ground
> 8 6 Recieved line sig. det.
> 9 -
>
> and that's all????????
>
> Pretty sure I've interpreted that incorrectly.......
>
> Please let me know what you mean via a table such as above.
>
> TIA. Sorry for the apparent idiocy. I'm not stupid - just
> inexperienced ;-)
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

> "I'd sell my soul for a Formula One racing car".
>
> "Bart! Stop pestering Satan!"
Your interpretation is correct; just 2 wires for sensing low battery
alarm state; do not forget the resistor.
One could add sensing for pin 8 (Normally Closed On-Battery Contact)
as a "immediate shutdown" indicator (again, do not forget the resistor).

Archived from groups: alt.comp,alt.comp.answers,alt.comp.cableboyz,alt.comp.misc,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

On Fri, 27 May 2005 06:51:00 GMT, Robert Baer
<robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote:

>David Melville wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 26 May 2005 23:33:24 GMT, Robert Baer
>> <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> Pinouts are not standard for RS-232, and it seems that there are no
>>>input lines.
>>> Now the problem will be that *no* Baudout signaling is indicated by
>>>the specs you gave - no start bit, no data bits, no stop bits.
>>> The UART (or emulation of it in modern computers) is designed for
>>>7-level (data bits) coding; emulations now may not support the original
>>>5-level (data bits) coding.
>>> So, a "fudge" is indicated:
>>> UPS #4 (common) to COMx #7 (signal ground)
>>> UPS #6 (N.C contact) to -5V and COMx #8 (received line signal detector)
>>>
>>> One could alternately use COMx #5 (clear to send) or #6 (data set
>>>ready) instead of #8 (received line signal detector).
>>> Useage depends on programming (and maybe completeness of emulation).
>>>
>>> If i remember my TTY nomenclature correctly, note that +5V is
>>>considered a logic "1" ("mark") and -5V is considered a logic "0" ("space").
>>> Default is binary "1" ("mark") except when a signal is transmitted;
>>>an open circuit is also considered a logic "0" ("space") [at least for
>>>teletypes].
>>> I believe that signals of -3V and +3V are the "standard", with -5V
>>>and +5V used for "compatibility" with DTL and TTL circuitry; the
>>>threshold for timing purposes is defined at zero volts.
>>

>> Remembering that I'm a little wobbly here, having never done it
>> before, does this mean the cable will be:
>>

>> PC UPS
>>
>> 1 -
>> 2 -
>> 3 -
>>
>> 4 -
>> 5 -
>> 6 -
>>
>> 7 4 ground
>> 8 6 Recieved line sig. det.
>> 9 -
>>
>> and that's all????????
>>
>> Pretty sure I've interpreted that incorrectly.......
>>
>> Please let me know what you mean via a table such as above.
>>
>> TIA. Sorry for the apparent idiocy. I'm not stupid - just
>> inexperienced ;-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dave

>> "I'd sell my soul for a Formula One racing car".
>>
>> "Bart! Stop pestering Satan!"
> Your interpretation is correct; just 2 wires for sensing low battery
>alarm state; do not forget the resistor.
> One could add sensing for pin 8 (Normally Closed On-Battery Contact)
>as a "immediate shutdown" indicator (again, do not forget the resistor).

Here I go again!! (Thank you for your patient help, by the way).

What value (in ohms, I'd imagine - I know that much! ";~) )
resistor will I need. I'm assuming that it's needed to bring the +/-5V
signal to +/-3V . . . I'm prepared to be wrong!

But if you can furnish me with that resistor value, then you have,
hopefully, completely solved my problem.

Many TIA

David Melville wrote:

> On Fri, 27 May 2005 06:51:00 GMT, Robert Baer
> <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>David Melville wrote:

>>>Remembering that I'm a little wobbly here, having never done it
>>>before, does this mean the cable will be:
>>>

>>>PC UPS
>>>
>>>1 -
>>>2 -
>>>3 -
>>>
>>>4 -
>>>5 -
>>>6 -
>>>
>>>7 4 ground
>>>8 6 Recieved line sig. det.
>>>9 -
>>>
>>>and that's all????????
>>>
>>>Pretty sure I've interpreted that incorrectly.......
>>>
>>>Please let me know what you mean via a table such as above.
>>>
>>>TIA. Sorry for the apparent idiocy. I'm not stupid - just
>>>inexperienced ;-)
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>>------------------------------------------------
>>>"I'd sell my soul for a Formula One racing car".
>>>
>>>"Bart! Stop pestering Satan!"
>>>------------------------------------------------
>>
>> Your interpretation is correct; just 2 wires for sensing low battery
>>alarm state; do not forget the resistor.
>> One could add sensing for pin 8 (Normally Closed On-Battery Contact)
>>as a "immediate shutdown" indicator (again, do not forget the resistor).
>

> Here I go again!! (Thank you for your patient help, by the way).
>
> What value (in ohms, I'd imagine - I know that much! ";~) )
> resistor will I need. I'm assuming that it's needed to bring the +/-5V
> signal to +/-3V . . . I'm prepared to be wrong!
>
> But if you can furnish me with that resistor value, then you have,
> hopefully, completely solved my problem.
>
> Many TIA
>
> Cheers,
> Dave

> "I'd sell my soul for a Formula One racing car".
>
> "Bart! Stop pestering Satan!"
I am guessing that 2K would be a reasonable maximum value.
Theroretically, the input resistance is 3K so if true, then 2K+3K=5K
meaning 1mA current from the -5V line and thus -3V at the input and 2V
drop on the 2K resistor.
So during the time the relay is closed, the current would be 2.5mA
which is reasonable.
I personally would use no less than 1K.

Archived from groups: alt.comp,alt.comp.answers,alt.comp.cableboyz,alt.comp.misc,alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

On Sat, 28 May 2005 10:36:26 GMT, Robert Baer
<robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote:

>David Melville wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 27 May 2005 06:51:00 GMT, Robert Baer
>> <robertbaer@earthlink.net> wrote:

>>> Your interpretation is correct; just 2 wires for sensing low battery
>>>alarm state; do not forget the resistor.
>>> One could add sensing for pin 8 (Normally Closed On-Battery Contact)
>>>as a "immediate shutdown" indicator (again, do not forget the resistor).
>>

>> Here I go again!! (Thank you for your patient help, by the way).
>>
>> What value (in ohms, I'd imagine - I know that much! ";~) )
>> resistor will I need. I'm assuming that it's needed to bring the +/-5V
>> signal to +/-3V . . . I'm prepared to be wrong!
>>
>> But if you can furnish me with that resistor value, then you have,
>> hopefully, completely solved my problem.
>>
>> Many TIA
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Dave

>> "I'd sell my soul for a Formula One racing car".
>>
>> "Bart! Stop pestering Satan!"
> I am guessing that 2K would be a reasonable maximum value.
> Theroretically, the input resistance is 3K so if true, then 2K+3K=5K
>meaning 1mA current from the -5V line and thus -3V at the input and 2V
>drop on the 2K resistor.
> So during the time the relay is closed, the current would be 2.5mA
>which is reasonable.
> I personally would use no less than 1K.

Many, many, many thanks, Robert.

When I get around to making up the cable, I'll drop back and let you
know how it went.

Can't thank you enough.

Cheers,
Dave

"I'd sell my soul for a Formula One racing car".

"Bart! Stop pestering Satan!"

TRENDING THREADS