Upgrade options for a pci-express 1.0a x16 Low Profile (250 Watt PSU)

I am looking to up grade my graphics card for a Dell Studio Slim line 540s. My graphic card is a ATI RADEON HD 4350 512 MB. Also, pci-express 1.0a x16 Low Profile (250 Watt PSU). I understand that this card uses the cpu for part of the processing. I would like to avoid this so that card does all the work since my cpu tends to run slower than "normal". It is a Core 2 Quad Q8300 2.50 GHz and it freezes often. I am hoping to fix this. The driver on the present grafic card is up to date.

The computer is Not used for gaming. It is used for multimedia/Internet only but I would like the best update on the graphic card since I plan to have the computer for a few more years.

What are my best options without spending too much ($150 max but prefer under $100)?

Thanks!
3 answers Last reply
More about upgrade options express profile watt
  1. Sorry, I am new to forum and tried to correct the first message but re submitted it instead,

I am looking for a card that is SILENT or extremely quiet!!

Thanks!
  2. Firstly, you need to upgrade your PSU (at least, 350 W).

And, Since you won't be using it for gaming (However, this card can be really good in gaming), this is what I recommend.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102969
  3. Thanks for the advice!

Although that is a good card, it doesn't fit my criteria of being silent, since it has a fan. Plus, I am uncertain as to whether it can be used on a 1.0a PCI-express buss. It is my understanding that 2.0 can be used on 1.0a but I have been told that 2.1 and up are not compatible?? Please correct me if I am wrong on that!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards PCI Express Graphics Product