XP or Window 7?

kratommonster

Honorable
Mar 2, 2012
I just today got my DIY PC amd phenom II x6 and 8 gigs of ram etc. I built it and formatted the solid state with windows 7 ultimate. I was wondering if I format with xp 64 bit will it utilize all 8 gigs of ram and possibly use less resources and further improve performance. I did build this PC mostly for gaming. Thanks in advance for any help.

Solution
D
XP x64 will see all your RAM but you sure will not get better performance. Good luck finding drivers for most things and just like 32 bit XP Microsoft is ending support in 2014 so no new updates for anything including security. Pretty sure no TRIM supoport for your SSD and no Direct X 11 either. Hopefully you have Windows 7 x64.

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

XP 64 bit will use all 8 GBs of memory (as its x64 bit), when it needs to, otherwise it uses less then 1 GB of memory idle
XP x64 will also be a bit better for day-to-day usage, as it reduces processor & disk activity compared to Windows 7.

D

Deleted member 217926

XP x64 will see all your RAM but you sure will not get better performance. Good luck finding drivers for most things and just like 32 bit XP Microsoft is ending support in 2014 so no new updates for anything including security. Pretty sure no TRIM supoport for your SSD and no Direct X 11 either. Hopefully you have Windows 7 x64.

Solution
There is no reason to use XP unless you have a specific highly important program that wont run on 7. and even then windows 7 pro with virtual XP is usually a better option. There is no performance benefit you will notice switching to XP, and without TRIM SSD performance will quickly degrade which will be very noticeable. XP is about dead and should be avoided as much as possible at this point.