Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2013 12:16:33 AM

----------------------------
-----| Current Setup |-----
----------------------------
CPU: Intel Core i7-920
CPU Cooler: ULTRA ChillTec 939 <=== Dead
Motherboard: Asus P6T <=== Dead
Memory: Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator 6 GB 3 x 2 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3
1st Harddrive: 1 TB
2nd Harddrive: 250 GB <=== An old IDE hard disk
Video Card: GTX 285
Power Supply: Corsair 750 watts
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932

-------------------------------------------------------------------
-----| The following is sitting in my Newegg Shopping cart |-----
-------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA $219.99
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA $144.99
CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 $29.99
Monitor: BenQ GW2450 Glossy Black 24" 4ms (GTG) Widescreen LED $149.99

Background
My 1366 Intel X58 motherboard and CPU cooler recently died. I wanted to simply purchase a new 1366 motherboard and a cheap CPU fan, however, I have found that nobody sells "new" X58 motherboards anymore (at least not at a reasonable price). Anyway, since I need a new motherboard, I thought it might be cheaper (or just as costly) to simply upgrade needed parts and perhaps sell my i7-920 CPU on eBay. The reason a monitor is sitting in my shopping cart is that my current dual monitor setup is pretty ancient (i.e. a 17 inch and an old CRT monitor). I don't have a lot of money to spend and want to keep and use as many functioning computer parts as I can. My only goal is to keep my rig functional/relevant as long as possible.

Questions That I Have

1) I play games, do video processing, use Photoshop, etc., however, I have never had a need to overclock my CPU or GPU. Is the Core i5-3570K CPU and a CPU Cooler overkill for my needs? I selected these 2 items primarily because the price on them seemed decent.

2) Do I need to purchase RAM? I have 3 sticks of triple channel RAM. My guess is that this RAM should still work in a newer motherboard but if it does then it will run as as double channel (2 sticks in 1 channel and 1 stick in a 2nd channel). Should I upgrade my RAM or is reusing my outdated RAM okay?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommendations given.

More about : buying wrong parts

a b à CPUs
January 1, 2013 12:35:11 AM

Looks good to me!
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2013 12:35:24 AM

Hi :) 

Your graphics card is getting a little old nowadays, although it was a good one....I would think about a new card for gaming..

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2013 12:42:47 AM

I'm a newb so feel free to ignore me.

If your not going to overclock, and don't mind some noise, you could just stick with the boxed cooler on your i5. I've heard ivy bridges run pretty cool anyhows.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2013 12:44:34 AM

You can save $5 by going with the i5-3570 . The K version is the overclockable and if you are sure you don't want to then no need to buy it. Same with the cooler. the included coolers have gotten significantly better and will cool the cpu. If you want it quiet stick with the Hyper 212 EVO.
I have either that board or one very close and it works great. I don't think it has an IDE connection so the one hard drive will not be used internally. You didn't say the connection on the 1TB but I would guess it is SATA
The memory can be used.
I would guess the power supply can be used also but without the specs can't say for sure.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2013 12:45:21 AM

Lol the time it took me to reply 3 people got in there before me.
m
l
January 1, 2013 12:45:43 AM

gr8mohawk said:

If your not going to overclock, and don't mind some noise, you could just stick with the boxed cooler on your i5. I've heard ivy bridges run pretty cool anyhows.

I've heard otherwise.. :lol: 
m
l
January 1, 2013 12:46:25 AM

gr8mohawk said:

my 3770k ran fine when i had the stock intel cooler. the stock cooler isn't loud. i couldn't hear it in my case. just don't try to overclock it. when you add voltage to ivy bridge that's when they get real hot. if you don't plan on overclocking then get the 3470 for $180 instead.
m
l

Best solution

a c 334 à CPUs
January 1, 2013 12:48:45 AM

A 3570K and a Z77 based motherboard is an appropriate upgrade.
I view it as a 4 year or better cpu.
You need not OC, but it is easy and safe to get to 4.0-4.e with the evo cooler.
The evo cooler will be quieter and easier to install than the Intel stock pushpins.
Well worth $30, I think.

2. Your three sticks of ram is 1.65v ram. That is the upper voltage limit before you do permanent damage to your cpu.
If you install, the first two sticks will operate in dual channel mode and the last stick in single channel mode.
Really not a biggie since ivy bridge is insensitive to ram speeds.
That said, ram is cheap, and I would buy a 8gb kit of 1.5v ddr3-1600 low profile ram.
Photoshop can make use of lots of ram, so even a 16gb(2 x 8gb) kit might be worthwhile.

3. Put a SSD for the os and some apps in your wish list. You will never go back.
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2013 12:51:02 AM

I second the SSD. It is hard to imagine running my computer without it.
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:01:56 AM

i remember reading an intel spec saying you should stay under 1.575 volts with ivy bridge. but people do run memory with 1.6+ volts. you could always lower the voltage manually but it would probably require you to also lower the speed and loosen the timings.
m
l
January 1, 2013 1:22:11 AM

Thanks everyone for the quick responses!!!!

geofelt said:

The evo cooler will be quieter and easier to install than the Intel stock pushpins.
Well worth $30, I think.

Thanks, I did not know that.
geofelt said:
1. A 3570K and a Z77 based motherboard is an appropriate upgrade. I view it as a 4 year or better cpu.

Since there is only a $5 difference in the non K CPU version I will keep what I have chosen in it my cart. I really hope that I don't receive a DOA motherboard.
geofelt said:
2. Your three sticks of ram is 1.65v ram. That is the upper voltage limit before you do permanent damage to your cpu. If you install, the first two sticks will operate in dual channel mode and the last stick in single channel mode. Really not a biggie since ivy bridge is insensitive to ram speeds. That said, ram is cheap, and I would buy a 8gb kit of 1.5v ddr3-1600 low profile ram. Photoshop can make use of lots of ram, so even a 16gb(2 x 8gb) kit might be worthwhile.

Any suggestions on what I should purchase? I kinda figured I would need to purchase some RAM. I will buy a 8GB kit. Unless of course, I come across a great deal on 16GB that I cannot pass up. It is hard for me to discard the RAM that I currently have simply because it was very expensive (several years ago).
geofelt said:
3. Put a SSD for the os and some apps in your wish list. You will never go back.

I plan doing so when I have the money. I consider faster load times a luxury since I am already spending more money than I can afford to! It sucks being poor.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2013 1:31:11 AM

I would buy one set of these for 8 Gb and plan for an upgrade if needed.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sometimes you have to accept that you toss equipment that is working. I have a desk drawer full of old ram in static bags in case someone has an old computer to put it in.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 1, 2013 1:35:39 AM

So many manufacturers have lifetime warranties on the memory. Don't get one without it.
m
l
January 1, 2013 2:11:06 AM

Best answer selected by Heatstroke.
m
l
a c 334 à CPUs
January 1, 2013 1:11:41 PM

Look for ram sales.
Most vendors are reliable with good warranties.
I like low profile ram, or even ram with no heat spreaders.
There is little value in ram faster than 1600.
Here is one good 8gb kit for $44:
A 16gb kit of the same is $80:

I would consider a 16gb kit of 1333 like this for $60:

There is really little app performance difference with 1333 ram, read this:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...

And... the value of a ssd is not boot times.
It shows up in everything you do such as internet browsing, windows updated etc.
Put it at the top of your upgrade list.
m
l
!