Issue with Two Router Setup

dmcclelland1

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hey guys,

I am a networking idiot, but pretty advanced with the actual machines so hopefully I can follow through on any suggestions given here.

I am home at the parents house for two weeks for the holidays and my Dad uses a setup of Modem------Router 1 (Wireless)--------Router 2 (wired). So basically the modem connects to the wireless router downstairs, and that router is wired into the wired router upstairs. The wireless router (Router 1) is a Netgear WPN824v2 and the wired router (router 2) is a Dlink DI-604.

My machine is plugged into router 2. Every 4-6 hours the computers connected to router 2 will lose their internet connection completely and I have to manually restart router 2 and then the connection is restored. This tells me that it is not a modem problem but rather a problem with router 2 because the modem is not shut off during the power cycle. Also, router 1 never loses connection either. My Dad stated that there was no issue until I brought my PC home and hooked it into router 2.

Basically I was wondering if anyone has ideas on what would be causing router 2 to lose connection every 4-6 hours, an issue that only started when my PC was hooked up to it. My assumption was that the two routers were not playing nice and maybe some settings needed to be tweaked on router 2, but again I am a networking dummy. At my house there has never been a networking problem with my PC.

Thanks in advance!

jankyscoes

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
A couple things I would check... First make sure DHCP isn't running on both Router 1 and Router 2, if so disable DHCP on Router 2. Then check that the cable comming from Router 1 is plugged into one of Router 2's LAN ports, not the WAN port (nothing should be plugged into Router 2's WAN port). This will force Router 2 to act like a network switch.

TRENDING THREADS