Partitions-How Big & How Many?

dtp

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2001
I am thinking about adding another hard drive to my system probably a 20 or 40 gig Maxtor- one of the things Im not sure of is how many partitions I need and how big to make them (will the new harddrive have all this on an installation software with it?Also will it walk me through the formating stage.Iam running windows 98 and want to keep my origanil harddrive in as the master as it will have the OS on it after I install the new one can I transfer the OS over to it from the old one.also is there any problems I might run into through this whole process if so some hints on how to fix them will be helpful,as for the use on the new harddrive will probably mainly used for games-music-this might sound odd but do I need an OS to run games on.Also what exactly does formating the harddrive mean.From what I have read the Master goes on the first port of the data ribbon cable and the slave hooks into the end port on the ribbon cable is this true or doesn"t it matter?As you can tell by the ?s on here I"m a newcomer to all this so all replys will be helpful Thank You

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Try checking out this <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=31000#31000" target="_new"><font color=orange>Post.</font color=orange></A>

<font color=red>I aM WE ToDD DiD.</font color=red><font color=white> I aM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOfA KING WE ToDD DiD</font color=blue>