Sign in with
Your question

Graphics card not detected

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2012 9:23:47 PM

hello, i recently just got my cpu.

At first when i got it, i plugged in my cpu, and installed windows/drivers, and my cpu was working.

however, my fingers got itchy, and i installed too many programs, then i decided to reformat my cpu.

After reformatting, i installed all the drivers successfully, but my graphics card driver doesn't seem to install properly. im using the onboard graphics card now. How should i proceed from here?

im using a hd7850

More about : graphics card detected

November 16, 2012 9:31:18 PM

oh ya, some additional info that might help...

the graphics card fan is on

im using a tx850w psu

gigabyte z77-d3h mobo
m
l
November 16, 2012 9:31:20 PM

wouldnt the driver from the cd work? it was working about an hour ago when i first installed everything.

it was only after the reformat did it stop working..
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 9:31:31 PM

you can't reformat your cpu.

you mean you reformatted the hdd and reinstalled windows.

You should uninstall the graphic card driver.
restart the computer.
download a fresh copy of the driver install from ati's website. (incase your version got corrupted somehow)
install the driver.
restart computer.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 9:35:40 PM

Fths said:
wouldnt the driver from the cd work? it was working about an hour ago when i first installed everything.

it was only after the reformat did it stop working..

ya. the drivers from the CD works. But I'd still download it from their website. cause AMD just put out new beta drivers that improves performance by a good bit.
m
l
November 16, 2012 9:36:22 PM

oh ya, the wires in the case were a little messy, so i rearranged it. would that be a possibility that i screwed up one of the wirings?

i think the important thing to note is that the graphics card fan is on, so this means that the hardware is fine right? :s

im kind of a nub at this whole cpu. thanks for the patience
m
l
November 16, 2012 9:36:47 PM

ya the thing is, even after installing the drivers from the cd, my gpu doesn't appear on the device manager
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 16, 2012 9:37:58 PM

Fths said:
ya the thing is, even after installing the drivers from the cd, my gpu doesn't appear on the device manager

hmm... take out the gpu and put it back in. might be a connection problem then...
m
l
November 16, 2012 9:39:41 PM

i really really really really hope i didn't fry my gpu or something :( 
m
l
November 16, 2012 10:29:42 PM

Ok so I tried shutting down my CPU, pulling out the power to the mobo. When I plug it back in, the screen goes to sleep. I have to unplug the mobo before the screen comes back on.

Oh ya, my dvi port is connected to the mobo, and I'm using the onboard gfx card now. I had this same issue earlier, but I have no idea how i foxed it
m
l
November 17, 2012 3:07:02 AM

Oh it finally works! The graphics card was not put in properly. Haha thanks for yor help!
m
l
!