First time builder - is this a good time to build?

boof704

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
As stated in the title, I'd like to build a system instead of buying pre-made. I'm upgrading from a ~3.5 year old laptop, but I don't know whether to build now or wait until the Haswell architecture is released. As I see it if I build now it's likely that I will upgrade in accordance with Intel's "ticks", that is, the next upgrade is likely to be a Broadwell processor and associated components; however if I wait for Haswell it's more probable that I'll upgrade in accordance with Intel "tocks" - so I was wondering which one is more worth it to follow, or whether I should bother following the releases at all. Any advice would be extremely appreciated.

Secondly, if I should build now, would these components work well together?

cde4b9865c53cd18f085929ae8d865a0.png

Thanks!

Solution

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

Wait for Haswell, you waited 3.5 years, its only 4 months to go until Haswell is out so I think you can manage that. If you buy into Ivy Bridge now, it will be outdated within 4 months and I don't think you will feel good about buying it. At least with Haswell, you won't feel outdated till at least 2-3 years until Skylake is out (Broadwell is just a die shrink of Haswell without any change in architecture so it doesn't count)

Solution

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
Correction I misread your chart, I'd say either way is good though, I'm waiting for Haswell myself but just built an ivy bridge rig for a friend. and I'm about to build another ivy bridge rig for another friend (it'll be my third ivy build for friends and I like them).

boof704

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
OK, I've decided to wait. Why? I'm wanting to see if Windows 8 is going to be popular with touch on desktops, and if it is, hopefully the price of touchscreen monitors is going to go down.