How will this run / other options!

Gregmillr

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I don't know much about computers, but I'm trying to get a pretty decent one for $800-900.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227450

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227436

I've also been thinking about building one since it's cheaper, but I'm not sure how - I could probably find out though.

Opinions on those computers? I'll be using it for BF3, call of duty, WoW, and Titan when it arrives in a few years! Also, trying to run them on fairly high detail if possible.

Any suggestions for other computers or anything else is greatly appreciated

I do not need a monitor, keyboard, headset, mouse, etc.

Thanks a lot!

Solution
Sorry to say, neither of those are particularly good gaming machines. Both video cards are weak for the budget, and while AMD processors perform well *IF* you overclock them, I'm wagering you don't want to do that.

Here, this machine exceeds both of those in every aspect.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage:...
Sorry to say, neither of those are particularly good gaming machines. Both video cards are weak for the budget, and while AMD processors perform well *IF* you overclock them, I'm wagering you don't want to do that.

Here, this machine exceeds both of those in every aspect.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($159.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Zalman Z9 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.58 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($18.99 @ Newegg)

Total: $769.07 (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

enjoy!

Solution

Gregmillr

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
How do you guys know everything to get so quickly? Will it all fit, work, not over-heat etc.?

Also, why wouldn't I want to overclock? Does it lessen the CPU's overall life or something?

Thanks

trumpeter1994

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
The amount of part setups that get posted on this site is immense and after it's not too hard to assign certain lists to certain price ranges..... are you at all interested in overclocking, It's not necessarily bad unless you're absolutely stupid about it. keep things within reasonable temperatures and you'll be fine. Ask around this site and it won't be hard to learn how to do it, before anything though I'd like to know, do you live near a microcenter, they sell intel processors very cheap.

Gregmillr

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I think I might be interested in overclocking, but I'll surely look around and find out how to do it beforehand. Don't know what a microcenter is and so I doubt I live around one.. I live in a small town with a fairly expensive computer store.

Gregmillr

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
$800 is probably top unless I wait longer. I have a case from old computers I may be able to use, unless I should buy a better case, seeing as how I think there's pretty much no way for heat to get out and around in there.

All parts in the build I posted are perfectly compatble, and the z9 plus case has excellent cooling.

If you want to try your hand at overclocking, more power to youand feel free to get an AMD system. Since this is your first build, and you didn't seem too familiar with PC components, I figured you already had a lot on your plate in the first place, so I was just simplifying the buld to get the most performance without tweaking.

TRENDING THREADS