Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

"Budget" High End system (~$3000)

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 1, 2013 1:16:50 PM

I put together a "dream build." I then put in lower cost components that would basically do the same thing for me and ended up with the following build, what do you think? I'm hoping to get a 4.5 GHz overclock out of the following build. I also want to try 3D surround vision.

I was going to buy this all today since I had to wait until this year to make a purchase. Since Newegg is out of the BenQ monitors it looks like I have a little bit more time to tweak this build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($409.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($409.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($398.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($398.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420TX 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($458.98 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Das Keyboard Model S Professional Wired Standard Keyboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $3036.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-01 10:11 EST-0500)
January 1, 2013 1:23:33 PM

Hi :) 

Your monitors NEED to be IDENTICAL... those aren't...

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 1:28:06 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

Your monitors NEED to be IDENTICAL... those aren't...

All the best Brett :) 


Hello! :) 

I've read that with the newest drivers they can be slightly different now, but if that's not the case I can change the center TX into a T and just get the 3D kit separately.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 1, 2013 3:52:01 PM

620W is cutting it a bit fine with a heavy overclock I'd say. I'd get the 720W model.
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 4:02:23 PM

Usually when you're about to spend this much for an entire system, you pretty much have everything in mind already. Fortunately that build looks pretty good though as jmsellars1 said, maybe a 650W-700W psu would be better just to leave a some more headroom. Seasonic has a great 660W unit I believe.

A question since I'm not a huge fan of multi-monitors and 120Hz monitors for gaming, why that particular monitor model?
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 4:33:27 PM

Do something different for a PSU, I don't like the brand or the wattage.
You need 750 watts, and personally, I would get a Corsair Gold series. The PSU is the MOST important part of your system, period. Don't skimp on this item or you will live to regret it.
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 4:36:58 PM

jitpublisher said:
Do something different for a PSU, I don't like the brand or the wattage.
You need 750 watts, and personally, I would get a Corsair Gold series. The PSU is the MOST important part of your system, period. Don't skimp on this item or you will live to regret it.


Recommending higher wattage might not be a bad idea but saying you don't like seasonic is a bit off don't you think? They do, in fact make their own PSUs and one of the best OEM out there. Even some of corsair's high end unit are actually made by them
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 4:50:06 PM

I would strongly suggest the 4gb version of the 670 or the 7970 as the above poster recommends. I have SLI 670 on 5760x1080 & while I am happy with their performance, I cannot use the max amount of MSAA in some games (BF3, FC3, Saints row etc) due to only 2gb VRAM. Looking back at it, I wish I went with the 4gb version or the 7970.
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 6:35:37 PM

The Corsair AX series are the Seasonic X series rebranded lol
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 8:20:19 PM

It looks like the difference from bronze to gold can be upwards of $20 per year in savings. Assuming I'll be keeping this PSU for 5 years it makes sense to go wit ha better GOLD certified unit.
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 8:29:29 PM


Seriously... Who's idea was this?
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:07:09 PM

rs2k said:
I put together a "dream build." I then put in lower cost components that would basically do the same thing for me and ended up with the following build, what do you think? I'm hoping to get a 4.5 GHz overclock out of the following build. I also want to try 3D surround vision.

I was going to buy this all today since I had to wait until this year to make a purchase. Since Newegg is out of the BenQ monitors it looks like I have a little bit more time to tweak this build.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($409.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($409.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($93.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($398.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420T 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($398.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: BenQ XL2420TX 120Hz 24.0" Monitor ($458.98 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Das Keyboard Model S Professional Wired Standard Keyboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $3036.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-01 10:11 EST-0500)


-Heh Heh 3 monitors 1080p with 2GB VRAM good luck buddy. Either 7970GHz edition in 3-way CFX(AMD Excels at multi monitor setups, and easily beats Nvidia with high resolutions/3+ monitors), or 2x 4GB GTX670 but IMO the three way 7970GHz are the better choice, a great one is the 7970 Vapor-X, if you want even get the 6GB versions.

-You're pushing it with a 620W the PCIe cards themselves are going to be 300W at least then your CPU added in is going to be near 400, adding in your drives, and motherboard you could easily go up to 500, adding in efficiency compensation, there is absolutely no room for expansion or overclocking. For 93 dollars a TX750 will serve you MUCH MUCH better.

-So no hard drive? 256GB of storage isn't a lot, add a 1TB drive for 70-100 dollars, Caviar Black is a good choice(more reliable than Barracuda).

-For such a high end build I'd suggest you shell out the extra cash for a Gigabyte G1 Sniper or even a Z77X-UP7. A 150 dollar board isn't going to cut it, you are bottlenecking your cards with the x8 interface and the expandability is minimal, if you still want to get a cheaper motherboard I strongly reccomend the MSi MPOWER or the Z77A-GD65 over that. Better expandibility and easier OC.

Get a cooler like the Thermaltake Frio, Thermalright silver arrow, or Noctua NH-D14. No sense cheaping out on a cooler with a large budget.

Cheaping out on a case is also not a good idea, I'd reccomend an Obsidian series 650D or a Carbide 400R.

You need an operating system, nuff said.


EDIT: Cheaper and WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY better

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vn8c
m
0
l
January 1, 2013 10:42:02 PM

Thanks for the info.

Quote:
-Heh Heh 3 monitors 1080p with 2GB VRAM good luck buddy. Either 7970GHz edition in 3-way CFX(AMD Excels at multi monitor setups, and easily beats Nvidia with high resolutions/3+ monitors), or 2x 4GB GTX670 but IMO the three way 7970GHz are the better choice, a great one is the 7970 Vapor-X, if you want even get the 6GB versions.


I'm not sure which direction to go yet. I'm still doing research over this.

Quote:
-You're pushing it with a 620W the PCIe cards themselves are going to be 300W at least then your CPU added in is going to be near 400, adding in your drives, and motherboard you could easily go up to 500, adding in efficiency compensation, there is absolutely no room for expansion or overclocking. For 93 dollars a TX750 will serve you MUCH MUCH better.


I'm now leaning toward this PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... The GOLD will end up paying for itself in around a year.

Quote:
-So no hard drive? 256GB of storage isn't a lot, add a 1TB drive for 70-100 dollars, Caviar Black is a good choice(more reliable than Barracuda).


I already have a 3TB green SATA drive I'll put in this build. I may upgrade to a faster drive later, but I really only use the drive for backup. Speed is really of no concern on this drive.

Quote:
-For such a high end build I'd suggest you shell out the extra cash for a Gigabyte G1 Sniper or even a Z77X-UP7. A 150 dollar board isn't going to cut it, you are bottlenecking your cards with the x8 interface and the expandability is minimal, if you still want to get a cheaper motherboard I strongly reccomend the MSi MPOWER or the Z77A-GD65 over that. Better expandibility and easier OC.


I really don't know what the Gigabyte G1 Sniper or the Z77X-UP7 will do for me. By the time I need to expand the I5 will probably be old news anyway. I'm also not convinced 2 PCIe slots at 16x is worth $200 over 2 PCIe slots at 8x with these cards.

Quote:
Get a cooler like the Thermaltake Frio, Thermalright silver arrow, or Noctua NH-D14. No sense cheaping out on a cooler with a large budget.


I was originally going to go with a Noctua NH-D14, but I'm worried about the weight. I'll be toting this computer around and I don't want to break it.

Quote:
Cheaping out on a case is also not a good idea, I'd reccomend an Obsidian series 650D or a Carbide 400R.


I'm not sure why I need to spend an extra $200 for a case. Once everything is setup I won't go in it unless there's a problem.

Quote:
You need an operating system, nuff said.


Windows 7. I have several copies. No need to list it here. No plans whatsoever to go to Windows 8.



Thanks for putting this together. I thing I'd rather go with the Korean IPS screens over the Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitors if I don't go with a 3D surround capable rig. I'm also somewhat worried about microstutter with two ATI cards. It'll drive me nuts. Maybe a single AX7990 would be better?
m
0
l

Best solution

January 1, 2013 10:52:50 PM

darksparten said:
-Heh Heh 3 monitors 1080p with 2GB VRAM good luck buddy. Either 7970GHz edition in 3-way CFX(AMD Excels at multi monitor setups, and easily beats Nvidia with high resolutions/3+ monitors), or 2x 4GB GTX670 but IMO the three way 7970GHz are the better choice, a great one is the 7970 Vapor-X, if you want even get the 6GB versions.

-You're pushing it with a 620W the PCIe cards themselves are going to be 300W at least then your CPU added in is going to be near 400, adding in your drives, and motherboard you could easily go up to 500, adding in efficiency compensation, there is absolutely no room for expansion or overclocking. For 93 dollars a TX750 will serve you MUCH MUCH better.

-So no hard drive? 256GB of storage isn't a lot, add a 1TB drive for 70-100 dollars, Caviar Black is a good choice(more reliable than Barracuda).

-For such a high end build I'd suggest you shell out the extra cash for a Gigabyte G1 Sniper or even a Z77X-UP7. A 150 dollar board isn't going to cut it, you are bottlenecking your cards with the x8 interface and the expandability is minimal, if you still want to get a cheaper motherboard I strongly reccomend the MSi MPOWER or the Z77A-GD65 over that. Better expandibility and easier OC.

Get a cooler like the Thermaltake Frio, Thermalright silver arrow, or Noctua NH-D14. No sense cheaping out on a cooler with a large budget.

Cheaping out on a case is also not a good idea, I'd reccomend an Obsidian series 650D or a Carbide 400R.

You need an operating system, nuff said.


EDIT: Cheaper and WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY better

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vn8c

the 6GB version is just about useless. unless you have cash to throw away i don't get it. also a $150 board is more then enough. there is zero reason to spend more then that. i would argue spend less. even running a 7970 on a PCIe 2.0 x4 wouldn't limit the card that much. the board he picked has PCIe 3.0 8x/8x so he will be fine. there is also nothing wrong with the case. it doesn't have usb 3.0 front ports but that's about it. sure he could spend more money but it wont get him anything. i'm sure he realizes he needs an os. i looked at your build and all i see is wasted money.
Share
January 2, 2013 12:18:27 AM

jonjonjon said:
the 6GB version is just about useless. unless you have cash to throw away i don't get it. also a $150 board is more then enough. there is zero reason to spend more then that. i would argue spend less. even running a 7970 on a PCIe 2.0 x4 wouldn't limit the card that much. the board he picked has PCIe 3.0 8x/8x so he will be fine. there is also nothing wrong with the case. it doesn't have usb 3.0 front ports but that's about it. sure he could spend more money but it wont get him anything. i'm sure he realizes he needs an os. i looked at your build and all i see is wasted money.


That makes sense to me. I thought $150 for a board would provide enough quality to overclock to 4.5 GHz and last at least 3 years. I don't need the extra features and USB 3.0 is not needed. Can you recommend a board that might be less that fits that bill? I only use USB for keyboards, mice, removable wifi and the occasional usb thumb drives. I don't need USB 3.0 on the front.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 12:56:19 AM

Well, I think I'm going to buy everything but the monitors and the graphics cards tonight. Newegg seems out of stock on almost all of the 3D monitors. Either a lot of people are going 3D or something new may be coming out shortly. I'll stick with my trusty 5770 and 2x 17s and 1x 22 inch at least for another week or two while I decide what to do.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 1:03:34 AM

you can look hear and see there is virtually no difference between PCIe 3.0 x16 and x8.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Ivy_Bridge_PCI...

the extreme6 would be fine. you could compare it too the extreme4 and see if you need any of the features on the extreme6. but right now its not much cheaper. you don't happen to have a micro center close by?
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 5:58:12 AM

Alas, the closest MicroCenter is 3 hours away. I use NewEgg almost exclusively since I have a thing against Amazon.


Here's what I bought last night / already have:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($204.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme6 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($87.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($249.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ Newegg)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm Trigger Wired Gaming Keyboard ($101.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1165.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-02 03:03 EST-0500)



I'm still trying to figure out what to do about (a) video card(s) and displays. I'm leaning towards 2 GTX 670s and 3x BenQ XL2420Ts right now.... but only slightly. I decided to go with 2x 8 GB sticks of RAM after running out of RAM on my 6GB machine while adding the 8GB to the cart. lol.

My current main machine will retire as an HTPC until it dies.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 6:04:13 AM

looks good. just throwing this out there. there are korean 27" IPS 2560x1440 monitors for $300 on ebay. if you are worried about a warranty microcenter started selling them for $400. they are supposedly the same lg panels in the apple home cinema monitors that sell for $1000. i'm planning on buying one soon. its something to consider.

http://techreport.com/review/23291/those-27-inch-ips-di...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x14...

http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Qnix-QX2700-LED-27-inch-QHD...
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 6:07:46 AM

jonjonjon said:
looks good. just throwing this out there. there are korean 27" IPS 2560x1440 monitors for $300 on ebay. if you are worried about a warranty microcenter started selling them for $400. they are supposedly the same lg panels in the apple home cinema monitors. i'm planning on buying one soon. its something to consider.

http://techreport.com/review/23291/those-27-inch-ips-di...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x14...


Yeah, that's a possibility as well. I don't want to do dual GPUs with the 7970 because of microstutter issues and I'm not convinced a single 7970 will be able to handle those big monitors at ultra high settings. That means a 7990 is a possible option, but only if it doesn't suffer from microstutter being a dual GPU in a single card. I need to do more research.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 6:39:06 AM

i've never played any game in 3d is it worth the extra money?
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 6:54:52 AM

jonjonjon said:
i've never played any game in 3d is it worth the extra money?
I have not either,those i know that have swear by it.I think it's just like anything else value is in the eye of the beholder.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 6:59:00 AM

Some people love it, some people don't care. My first 3D game was the Sega master system back in the 80's. I've loved 3D games ever since then and am really excited rt o play games in high quality 3D. :-)
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 7:03:31 AM

Are you guys talking about 3D games or stereoscopic 3D?
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 7:05:07 AM

You can't really be competitive while playing multiplayer in 3D though. You end up spending too much time doing things like enjoying how the side of a building changes as you move instead of shooting the zombie coming out of it. It's a blast. :D 
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 7:22:19 AM

some of those images really look 3d. i always just assumed 3d gaming was a gimmick. i'm going to have to go try it now.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 8:00:12 AM

Seemed like you missed the Seasonic X750W Gold sale on newegg for 90 bucks yesterday for PSU. That Corsair HX 750W is nice and good choice on video card selection. While AMD HD 7970 has more bandwidth and perform better at such high resolution, their 3D support, on the other hand, needs a lot of improvement.

Going multi monitor is nice, but I must give you a head up. It may be bothersome in the beginning to ignore the 2 black lines in the middle of the monitors but over time you may get used to it. I too tried Nvidia Surround set up just couple weeks ago with 3 2560-1440 monitors (2 Asus PB278Q and 1 Samsung S27B970D). In the end I decided to return the 2 Asus monitors not because of the black lines between the monitors but because of the "stretched" images on the 2 peripheral monitors. No matter how I adjusted the FOV, the images on the 2 peripheral monitors remain too "stretched out" and I decided to just use 1 monitor for now.

Lastly, I do notice a significant performance drop going 3 monitors (7680-1440 resolution) using my overclocked GTX 670 SLI (both cards run at 1275 Mhz GPU and 7 Ghz memory) in BF3 at Ultra Settings with 0 MSAA. My fps stay around 30ish with the occasional dip to the 20s. Since you will be also using 120 Hz monitors set up, I reckon you will also need at least decent frame rate to render those 3D images, and even though your resolution (5700-1080) is a bit lower than mine but you probably need to run it at 120 fps to enjoy those 3D images and thus I would suggest something a bit more powerful than those 2 GTX 670.

At the moment there are only couple of choices that are more powerful than 2 heavily overclocked GTX 670, a pair of heavily overclocked Asus Matrix Platinum HD 7970 in cross fire or a pair of heavily overclocked GTX 680s in SLI. Both of those choices have its con and pro. The Asus Maxtrix Platinum is the more powerful of the 2 at this ultra resolution but AMD 3D support leaves a lot to be desired. The Nvidia GTX 680s solution while have superior 3D support but lacks performance at high resolution due to limited bandwidth potential. (Note that I say video card memory bandwidth, not the size of the VRAM itself)

It's up to you to decide which way to go, but I just want to give you a head up before you spend all those money.

m
0
l
January 2, 2013 9:18:07 AM

One thing i find weird some of my friends that 3D game get nose bleeds or puke if they play for hours on end non stop like after six to eight hours of non stop gaming that's not normal imo lol.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 1:05:05 PM

I am just fed up with $3000-$4000 computer having a little i5 CPU. If you have a large budget go with a i7 or even go with x79. I know a lot of people say that the i5 is better than the i7, but going with the i5 will be bottle-necking your computer. The same with your cheap motherboard. Go with the gigabyte g1. Sniper 3 or the ASUS Maximus V Formula. You WILL NOT regret going with nicer and better products in your build. If you tried you could redo your entire plan and go with a x79 build, that's what I did with my computer.

Now to the monitors. Running 3 3-D monitors with only 4GB of VRAM? That will put a whole lot of stress on your computer. The GeForce GTX 680 4GB on sli will fill in this gap. I have them in my build. I heard someplace that 4 gtx 680s can run 24 monitors, if that doesn't convince you...


Now please spend your money wisely and don't cheap out.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 1:15:02 PM

ThatMoose said:
I am just fed up with $3000-$4000 computer having a little i5 CPU. If you have a large budget go with a i7 or even go with x79. I know a lot of people say that the i5 is better than the i7, but going with the i5 will be bottle-necking your computer. The same with your cheap motherboard. Go with the gigabyte g1. Sniper 3 or the ASUS Maximus V Formula. You WILL NOT regret going with nicer and better products in your build. If you tried you could redo your entire plan and go with a x79 build, that's what I did with my computer.

Now to the monitors. Running 3 3-D monitors with only 4GB of VRAM? That will put a whole lot of stress on your computer. The GeForce GTX 680 4GB on sli will fill in this gap. I have them in my build. I heard someplace that 4 gtx 680s can run 24 monitors, if that doesn't convince you...


Now please spend your money wisely and don't cheap out.



To be honest, there's no point in buying an i7 for gaming since an i5-3570K will perform similar in any game and that's a fact. If you don't believe it then you clearly haven't done your homework. Premium expensive motherboards are even worse (gigabyte g1. Sniper ?? ASUS Maximus V Formula??), most of the extras are non-beneficial to a gaming optimized build. Most board at $150 will perform similar if they're using the same chipset.

4GB card could come in handy if OP wants to apply AA because 3x1080p will use a lot amount of VRAM and to game at triple 1080p, multi gpu is highly recommended.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 1:32:34 PM

I would also recommend AMD 7970 for high resolution gaming, but then again I've heard currently 3D is better with nVidia.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 1:39:47 PM

Using an i5 for gaming is not cheaping out, it is being smart. Anything more expensive than an i5 offers massively diminishing returns for gaming, same goes with ultra high end motherboards. Just because the budget is high doesn't mean he should just throw the money away.

If you're going with 3D surround, plenty of vRAM is a good idea though. 2GB would be your absolute bare minimum really, Ideally I'd get a pair of decent 3-4GB cards
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 1:43:42 PM

jmsellars1 said:
Using an i5 for gaming is not cheaping out, it is being smart. Anything more expensive than an i5 offers massively diminishing returns for gaming, same goes with ultra high end motherboards. Just because the budget is high doesn't mean he should just throw the money away.

If you're going with 3D surround, plenty of vRAM is a good idea though. 2GB would be your absolute bare minimum really, Ideally I'd get a pair of decent 3-4GB cards


Exactly what I've been saying for a while now. +1 ;) 
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 3:03:29 PM

Thanks for all the input again. :) 

I really thought hard about which processor to get. The 3570K, 3770K and the 3930K were all on my list. Money is not an issue, but I simply cannot rationalize going with the 3770K or the 3930K if I wasn't going to see any benefit. I have a Xeon E3-1230 server with 32 GB of RAM for when I need to bring in the big data processing guns, and when I do I usually let the process run overnight anyway.

This rig will be primarily used for business management, web design, system administration, simple virtualization (testing) and the "occasional" gaming session and 3D movie. I do nothing that requires heavy CPU multitasking on this particular machine. To be honest, the i5 is probably overkill, but I do run apps that are very single core intensive that I'm hoping will see improvements over my Phenom II X4 955 BE. I quite often max out 1 - 2 cores currently and I have only once maxed out all four cores when not doing a benchmark in over 3 years. That was while rendering a video. I will not need hyper threading. Heck, I doubt even my public server is taking advantage of the hyper threading. It gets a lot of traffic and spends its days sitting at 0.10 load.

As far as the monitors are concerned, I'm leaning towards the dual 4GB GTX 670's. If it wasn't for the fact new cards will be coming soon I'd probably get a GTX 690. I'll probably get 3 24 inch 1080p 120hz monitors. Nvidia can't do 3D at more than 1080p, and 1080p looks bad on a 27 inch screen. 24 inches is my limit for 1080p. My guess is that this limitation will change in the next year or two.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 3:11:09 PM

It seems like you have everything figured out by now. Good luck with the rest

If you're done with this thread don't forget to choose the best answer so that the forum moderators can close it.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 8:48:14 PM

I know what kind of gaming hes interested in he needs NV cards if it's the same kind a few of my friends are into also as far as monitor if you're looking for the best 3D monitor that will also play great in 2D, then you should choose between the BenQ XL2420T and the ASUS VG278H. Both incorporate nVidia's 3D Vision 2 with 3D LightBoost which greatly improves the overall 3D experience.

While the BenQ doesn't disappoint as far as specifications with a 2ms response time, 120Hz refresh rate, low input lag, and a great picture, The XL2420T comes with a lot of other features built-in to this monitor specifically for gamers including FPS Mode, RTS Mode, Intuitive OSD, S. Switch;Height Adjustment, and Game Mode Loader.

If you just want this monitor for the 2D technology, then you might want to consider its predecessor, XL2410T, which is significantly cheaper and has many of the same features as the XL2420T, but has nVidia 3D Vision rather than 3D Vision 2.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 9:23:23 PM

jonjonjon said:
this is a pretty interesting article on the 690, 680sli and 7970cf running 3 monitors.

http://techreport.com/review/22890/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6...



That's an excellent article.

I think I'm going to get 2x refurb 2GB GTX 670s, 3x BenQ monitors now, and replace the cards with the new stuff that comes out in spring if I find them lacking. I don't think the gtx 690 is capable for doing exactly what I want and I don't want to buy two of them right now. I'd much rather spend $1000 - $2000 on a new card and not one already several months old. Since I'm going to compromise I might as ell stay cheap for the time being.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 9:26:02 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I know what kind of gaming hes interested in he needs NV cards if it's the same kind a few of my friends are into also as far as monitor if you're looking for the best 3D monitor that will also play great in 2D, then you should choose between the BenQ XL2420T and the ASUS VG278H. Both incorporate nVidia's 3D Vision 2 with 3D LightBoost which greatly improves the overall 3D experience.

While the BenQ doesn't disappoint as far as specifications with a 2ms response time, 120Hz refresh rate, low input lag, and a great picture, The XL2420T comes with a lot of other features built-in to this monitor specifically for gamers including FPS Mode, RTS Mode, Intuitive OSD, S. Switch;Height Adjustment, and Game Mode Loader.

If you just want this monitor for the 2D technology, then you might want to consider its predecessor, XL2410T, which is significantly cheaper and has many of the same features as the XL2420T, but has nVidia 3D Vision rather than 3D Vision 2.



Thanks for the info on the monitors. I think I'm going to get 3x BenQ XL2420T as soon as newegg gets them back in stock. I don't want to go with a 1080p 27 inch screen. I have a feeling in a few years 1080P will be old news anyway. I'd rather have a retina display than a large display.
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 9:56:42 PM

how do you play a FPS on a dual monitors? wouldn't the cross-hair be in the middle?
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 10:09:32 PM

jonjonjon said:
how do you play a FPS on a dual monitors? wouldn't the cross-hair be in the middle?


You can't. :/ 
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 10:10:06 PM

jonjonjon said:
how do you play a FPS on a dual monitors? wouldn't the cross-hair be in the middle?



Oops, that's supposed to say 3x.

I'd never use an even number of monitors for that reason.




How does this card look?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814130850
m
0
l
January 2, 2013 10:35:16 PM

rs2k said:
Oops, that's supposed to say 3x.

I'd never use an even number of monitors for that reason.




How does this card look?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814130850


broken link
m
0
l
!