Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Old monitor not working on new build

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 16, 2012 11:36:25 PM

Hello,
I browsed heavily and did not find a definitive answer so please don't flame, first post here. I just got back from selling a television I was using as a monitor, assuming my old LCD monitor would work. Wrong.

I had the television hooked up to this build via HDMI to the graphics card for six months. Worked fine. I have had this LCD monitor for years on an old XP machine. Both worked fine as of this morning.

I plugged the vga cable from my monitor to my mobo vga port. No signal. Then, assuming that I had to go through the graphics card, I found an old DVI to VGA adapter and hooked it up that way. No signal. The computer is running windows 8 with a AMD radeon graphics card and has worked fine for six months. I know there are no hardware issues. Everything I have read says that if hooked up correctly, an old monitor should work fine.

PC specs: windows 8, amd radeon 6870, i3, biostar 1155 mobo
Monitor: HP w1907 w/ vga and dvi in ports

Please help, I won't get a new monitor for another week and I am computerless.

More about : monitor working build

Best solution

a c 163 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 16, 2012 11:49:06 PM

My first guess is that the output on your GPU is digital only. Meaning that you may be able to solve your problem by simply just using the DVI on your GPU and monitor. The output on your mobo should be both digital and analog. So test it without the GPU in there first.

It would be odd if your GPU has no analog output at all. Have you tried a different DVI port to convert to VGA?
November 16, 2012 11:50:31 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I assumed that a DVI to VGA adapter would convert the signal to analog, but no my gpu has two dvi ports and two HDMI ports. Will pop the case open and unplug GPU and post results.
Score
Related resources
November 16, 2012 11:58:16 PM

SUCCESS! :bounce: 
Thank you so much.
Score
a c 163 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 17, 2012 12:09:40 AM

Its a big pleasure. I had the same issue with my APU build, it has no Analog output whatsoever. LOL ended up buying a new monitor.
Score
a c 163 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
November 17, 2012 12:11:11 AM

rawbbbbb said:
Thanks for the reply.
I assumed that a DVI to VGA adapter would convert the signal to analog, but no my gpu has two dvi ports and two HDMI ports. Will pop the case open and unplug GPU and post results.

And no, those adapter are totally passive, they only convert the interface. To convert it you would need an active and a lot more expensive adapter that are quite hard to find.
Score
November 17, 2012 1:48:15 AM

Best answer selected by rawbbbbb.
Score
!