RAM and CPU upgrade questions

allamerican02

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Good Morning and Happy New Year.

I had a few basic questions about upgrading my system. I have an hp a1370a that I bought in 2006 and was weighing if it was worth it to upgrade a few components or buying a new system. I am a very light gamer (Age of Empires III, Civ IV) This is my current configuration:

CURRENT GPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+
OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows XP
POWER SUPPLY: 300 Watts
OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: 3.0 GB DDR SDRAM PC3200
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080
GRAPHICS CARD: Asus Geforce gt 430
HARD DRIVE 250 Gigs 7200 rpm

Questions:

1. What kinds of performance improvements would I see if I bought another gig of RAM?

2. What improvement would I see if I upgraded the chip to the AMD Athalon X2 4800+ (2.2 ghz to 2.5 ghz)? Would I need to upgrade the heat sink and fan if I upgraded the chip or could I use the old one?

3. Is it worth upgrading to Windows 7 if I keep this for another 4 or 5 years?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00589079&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=1831753

Thanks a lot.

Increasing RAM capacity might help with multi-tasking, but I doubt that it would improve overall performance.

Upgrading the CPU probably won't make a big difference unless you get a new motherboard and some much higher bandwidth DDR2 or DDR3 memory along with the new CPU. Honestly, building a mostly new computer is probably your best option so long as you have a decent budget, say at least $200. New motherboard, CPU, memory, PSU, and a cheap graphics upgrade could all fit in a small budget so lnog as you're not going for a huge upgrade and a somewhat larger budget of $250-300 will net some significant upgrades. The case and storage could easily be kept and so could the storage drives and other components.

allamerican02

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I am saving up for a house right now and other things, so I am content with using what I have for the next few years. I was just wondering how those upgrades would affect my system.