Need help (like everyone else) deciding on a GPU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrks

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Okay, so im in the middle of a total system rebuild and im replacing components as I go, heres what I have so far-
-CPU- i5 3570k
-CASE- HAF 912
-MOBO- MSI z77a-G45 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130645
-GPU- Galaxy 560ti
-PSU- Antec 650watt bronze rated
My original plan was to buy another 560ti and go SLI but my new PSU doesnt have enough cables to support 2 560's so i'm in the market to buy a new one-
-I'm probably going to buy it black friday or cyber monday
-I have no preference to brand though I do want something quality
-I do plan to overclock it
-It will be for one monitor 1080p
-Don't have a preference between Nvidia and ATI (again, whatever is best for my money)
-I am wanting to play current and next gen games fully maxed at 40-60FPS(IE: Crysis 3, Max Payne, Hitman, blah blah blah)
-budget will be $200-300 dollars, now I know black friday/cyber monday will probably have some good deals so if I could get pointed in a good direction with a card that falls in that price range now with no sale and maybe something 1teir above that that might fall into that price range on sale that'd be great.
I've been reading around about different cards but i've consulted the community about everything with this build and have gotten some amazing feedback so i'd love any input you guys have.
Like I said, i'm looking for any input you guys may have! thanks a ton!

EDIT- I should of also said that im not looking to overspend or "futureproof" so if theres a card that will let me run @ 40-60FPS for cheaper than $300 thats preferred

Solution
My opinion stands like this: I doubt it's worth upgrading to any single card today. You could either get a second GTX 560 Ti to SLI (and as Mousemonkey said, you wouldn't need a new power supply unit), or, if you're satisfied with the performance or you are OK with waiting a little more - waiting for the next generation could be an option as well.

mrks

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Hey! Thanks for the input! I almost don't want to go with sli 560s anymore..I really like that 7950.. lots of good reviews

mrks

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Im not necessairily worried about power consumption if im only running one card... and if its only 2x as powerful I may as well go with sli560ti, right?
How does it compare to the 7950? (Im in the dark with video cards so I appreciate any help)

No, it's not. Single GTX 660 is around 25% faster than a GTX 560 Ti. GTX 560 Ti SLI would be faster than single HD 7950.

mrks

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012
Thanks for all of the replys guys! Question though, how would a 560ti be faster than a 7950 even in sli. The 7950 has 3gb of ram while the 560's only have 1gb = 2gb of ram so I would assume yhe 7950 would be 33% faster than 560s sli.. right?

mrks

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Thanks for the chart! Great info but do you know of anything with a % increase from one card to tbe next?

It's not about memory. It's about graphics processing power. Since HD 7950 is ~50% faster than GTX 560 Ti, two GTX 560 Ti cards should be faster than single HD 7950. Also, SLI doesn't double your memory.

mohit9206

Distinguished

i remember watching a video by linus on his youtube channel linus tech tips where he clearly showed that a 660 is twice as fast as a 560 ti . maybe it was a 660 ti. i dont remember it well. you may want to check that out

Link? Not even GTX 680 is twice as fast as GTX 560 Ti:

perfrel.gif

mrks

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

Thanks a ton for the chart! I really appreciate it. It seems like unless I go with a $400+ card that i'm not going to see the performance increase I was expecting... because my card is able to run crysis 2 at 25fps avg on all settings maxed out where as If I upgraded to the 7950 I wouldnt even reach 60FPS (or 60FPS in SLI 560ti's)... I wonder if I should just wait for the next round of gfx cards to come out... Any thoughts on that?

My opinion stands like this: I doubt it's worth upgrading to any single card today. You could either get a second GTX 560 Ti to SLI (and as Mousemonkey said, you wouldn't need a new power supply unit), or, if you're satisfied with the performance or you are OK with waiting a little more - waiting for the next generation could be an option as well.

Solution

dheeraj9933

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2012
yeah amd 8000 series is about to come in late Q1 or early Q2 in 2013.
those cards will be awesome!! its not like 560 is not good. just wait until next year
Q2 and you will have a card better than the ones that u are confused about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.