Need help on changing graphic card

Hi everyone. I'm new here.

Recently I want to change my graphic card from nVIDIA GT220 to ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB.

But now I worry about whether my motherboard and processor can support or not.

Here is my motherboard specification.
GIGABYTE GA-M720-US3

This is my processor.
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5200+ 2.70GHz

I wonder is this enough to support ATI Radeon HD 7850?

Thank you very much.
9 answers Last reply
More about need changing graphic card
  1. The motherhood should have no problems. Your CPU might bottleneck it a bit, although you could clock your processor to around 3.0Ghz to help with that. And either way you can and will get a graphics upgrade upon buying that.
  2. Yep, it'll work. Good card. Like Hafsix said, you may relieve some of the bottle neck by overclocking. Make sure your powersupply can handle the new card too.
  3. HAFSIX said:
    The motherhood should have no problems. Your CPU might bottleneck it a bit, although you could clock your processor to around 3.0Ghz to help with that. And either way you can and will get a graphics upgrade upon buying that.


    Thank you very much. I will get it within this month.

    Anonymous said:
    Yep, it'll work. Good card. Like Hafsix said, you may relieve some of the bottle neck by overclocking. Make sure your powersupply can handle the new card too.


    Is there any software we can check there is how many voltage of our Power Supply without open the casing?
  4. zBlackie said:


    Is there any software we can check there is how many voltage of our Power Supply without open the casing?



    why dont you just open up the case... trust me its not that scary. takes 2 minutes. I mean you are going to open it up anyways when you upgrade the card.


    It seems that you have a prebuilt computer. You can probably search your model number on google and check the specs and they should list the wattage. This will take longer though. Your choice.
  5. Azn Cracker said:
    why dont you just open up the case... trust me its not that scary. takes 2 minutes. I mean you are going to open it up anyways when you upgrade the card.


    It seems that you have a prebuilt computer. You can probably search your model number on google and check the specs and they should list the wattage. This will take longer though. Your choice.


    Thank you. I will just open my casing and check it.
  6. 500W is the suggested power supply. And you are going to need one 6 pin PIC power connector.
  7. And yes never be afraid to open it up, its not that bad inside :). Just remember what you do so IF something goes amiss, you can revert to last stable point. Your power supply should have a sticker on the left side or the front. look for the MAX DC output on it to determine its size.
  8. HAFSIX said:
    And yes never be afraid to open it up, its not that bad inside :). Just remember what you do so IF something goes amiss, you can revert to last stable point. Your power supply should have a sticker on the left side or the front. look for the MAX DC output on it to determine its size.


    I had checked my Power Supply. It is around 500W.

    Is that enough to support ATI Radeon HD 7850?

    My friend said if play high graphical games will automatic shutdown due to power supply problem.
  9. should be all the #s match up, does the PSU have one six pin PCI-e power ?
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Processors Motherboards Radeon Graphics