Maxtor or IBM Drives?

oskool

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2001
Just building a second system & wondering which drive to buy. I currently have in my older system IBM drives 25 & 40gb.
My new MB is a KR7A which supports ATA133 so i was thinking of going for Maxtor IDE ATA-133 60GB 7200RPM DiamondMax D740X, But a friend has told me that the 133 wont be any different than the ATA100 on the IBM Deskstar 60GXP 60GB IDE 7200RPM Hard Drive.

Which is better?
Or if i get 40Gb IBM drive i could use the raid feature?
(does that mean that I have 80Gb in total (2 x 40gb) or with stripping is it just 40Gb)?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
To use the RAID feature you would need two hard drives.

I would go with the Maxtor ATA133 hard drive. You probably won't get any performance increase off of the 133, but it's going to be backwards compatible to the ATA100 spec. At any rate you are going to get about the same performance out of the Maxtor as you are the IBM. I don't think there's really going to be a noticeable difference, and it would probably be your own personal preference on what you choose.

Spec wise, the IBM drive is faster. Real world bench marks, I don't think they are noticeably faster.

<font color=red>I aM WE ToDD DiD.</font color=red><font color=white> I aM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOfA KING WE ToDD DiD</font color=blue>

<b><font color=blue>First.</b></font color=blue> RAID feature on mobo, not drive (the way you worded it).

<b><font color=red>Second.</b></font color=red> 2 x 40GB striping (RAID 0) = 80GB.

<b><font color=purple>Third.</b></font color=purple> 2 x 60GB RAID 0 = 120GB. I figure the price differences these days warrant getting 60s instead of 40s. Depends on your needs.

<b><font color=green>Fourth.</b></font color=green> The ATA133 feature you talk of just ain't happening yet. Stick to the ATA100s. The bang per buck is justified.

<b><font color=yellow>Fifth.</b></font color=yellow> IBM 60GXP drives are faster. cooler, quieter and cheaper than other similar IDE drives.

<b><font color=orange>Colour coding courtesy of Happy New Year alcohol!</b></font color=orange>

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>

oskool

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2001
Thanks for your reply.

I have already an 40GB IBM 60GXP and an older 25Gb so I could buy another of the same for raid, but would I get with 2 x 40GB drives 80Gb of storage or just 40Gb when using raid?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
You would usually want to use the same drives for RAID. You wouldn't want to mix specifications. You won't be able to run two 25GB hard drives and a 40GB hard drive and see 80GB in a RAID. The 40GB hard drive will only be seen as the smallest drive (25GB). So you would only see 75GB. You could have other problems if the drives aren't the same in specs. I would just get another 40GB 60GXP.

<font color=red>I aM WE ToDD DiD.</font color=red><font color=white> I aM </font color=white><font color=blue>SOfA KING WE ToDD DiD</font color=blue>

jflongo

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
I have the Maxtor 40GB 7200 ATA133 drive(using it as 100 of course). I beat the pants off of the IBM 40GB 7200 Drive my friend has, when we did the Sisoft Sandra Benchmark test.

<i> If you buy a pre-packaged pc, shame on you </i> :wink:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
yeah, i did the same thing...
this drive rocks!
even at ata-100!
mine also beats my friends 120gig wd, but that is a larger hard drive..
but running at the same specs...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

G

Both IBM drives I ever bought (20GB ATA66 and 40GB ATA100) failed after less than 6 months of use... there was no problem getting replacement , but...3 and 6 months after buying a new drive I ended with a refurbished one...
They DO get pretty hot

jiffy

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
I was looking for a fast drive myself. I usaully go with or use to go with IBM or Seagate, but a couple pages back a link stating the DiamondMax D740X is the fastest, hands down.

Complicated Nit Picker

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Maxtors is currently faster. More importantly Maxtors RMA process and customer support stomps IBM silly! This is something that often gets overlooked. Hard drives are one of the most common problems in system failures. I had to RMA a maxtor hard drive today ( via the web). My drive will be here next week, before maxtor even recieves my bad drive. Lets see IBM top that. They have set an example of standing behind there product that I only wish others in the PC industry would follow.

It's not what they tell you, its what they don't tell you!