Closed Solved

Why Are There Two Prices for Windows 7 Home Premium!?

I thought Windows 7 Home Premium had a general retail price of $99.99 (Newegg, Amazon, Tigerdirect etc., but was shocked to see a website that sold it for $199.99! Same product. What is the deal here?
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about prices windows home premium
  1. One is OEM install only on 1 PC with no mobo upgrades in the future.

Retail version has also 1 licence, but allows the hardware upgrades any time.

Make sure it was not multiple licence windows.
  2. nikorr said:
    One is OEM install only on 1 PC with no mobo upgrades in the future.

Retail version has also 1 licence, but allows the hardware upgrades any time.

Make sure it was not multiple licence windows.

I have an OEM copy of W7 premium, installed a new motherboard and it activated without any problems.
  3. If u tell them when activating, that the old mobo died, and it is comparable to the old one or the same one, MS will allow u to do the change.

But try to use high end while the old one was mobo $100 worth and it will be no-go.
  4. nikorr said:
    If u tell them when activating, that the old mobo died, and it is comparable to the old one or the same one, MS will allow u to do the change.

But try to use high end while the old one was mobo $100 worth and it will be no-go.

I have a Z68MA-D2H-b3 that I'm about to RMA. I bought a Asrock Extreme 3 installed it and it activated automatically. I'm just sharing my experience.
  5. Quote:
    I have a Z68MA-D2H-b3 that I'm about to RMA. I bought a Asrock Extreme 3 installed it and it activated automatically. I'm just sharing my experience.

What was your procedure?
  6. Best answer
    nikorr said:
    What was your procedure?

After a clean install I right clicked computer went to properties, and clicked on activate windows now. I was prepared to call them since I had a faulty motherboard.
  7. Best answer selected by Alyus.
  8. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Amazon Product