Sign in with
Your question

Two theoretical Newegg builds for two different people

Last response: in Systems
January 1, 2013 3:10:17 PM

Here's the situation:
My friend's brother who receives a fair amount of money every other week wants to build a gaming computer for about $750 (NOTHING MORE), and wants it to run like a beast and look like a beast. He'll be upgrading a couple parts later on (such as an extra GPU/RAM). On the other hand,
My other friend who receives little to no money regularly, only on holidays, wants me to build him a computer for about $700. He wants to be able to record and edit gameplay at a reasonable FPS, but mostly he wants to edit and render videos in Sony Vegas much quicker. He will most likely not upgrade often.
Also, my friend whose brother is building one came up with an AMD build, while he asked me to come up with an Intel build. My computer now is completely AMD, and I have experience with the performance of the components, but I am unfamiliar to Intel CPUs. Recommendations and replacements would be much appreciated.

The gaming build I came up with:
NZXT Guardian ATX Mid-Tower: $69.99
Intel Core i5 3570k Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz: $219.99 - $15 promo
GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7850: $174.99
MSI Z77A-G45 LGA 1155 Intel ATX Mobo: $119.99
Rosewill CAPSTONE Series 450W 80+ GOLD: $69.99
Western Digital WD Blue 7200RPM 500GB: $64.00
Patriot Intel Extreme Master 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1866: $46.99

This all totals up to around $750, and I believe it's reasonable. I suggested that if with this build, he buy the GPU last as the CPU has decent integrated graphics and he can mildly game until he buys the card. Later, as in a couple mounths, I believe he is going to Crossfire the 7850s and double his RAM, so I picked an appropriate motherboard. Also, I am not sure it the power supply is strong enough for the build, especially if he upgrades and Crossfires.
If there's anything obvious I left out or anything that is cheaper/better, please tell me.

Now, here's the rendering/editing build I came up with:
Intel Z68 LGA 1155 ATX Mobo: $84.99
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz: $279.99
VisionTek Radeon HD 6850: $139.99
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1866: $59.99
SeaSonic 360W 80+ GOLD: $59.99
GIGABYTE Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case: $21.99
Western Digital WD Blue 7200RPM 500GB: $64.00

This all totals up to around $710, and I believe this is reasonable too. I am not completely sure as to what's stressed during rendering, but to my best guesses it is the RAM and the CPU, and possibly the HDD. His next birthday I suggested he get a good SSD for his computer, just for overall speed in the boots and loading.
Regardless of what speeds it up or not, I just know that any of these components will show a DRASTIC increase over his current computer: a laptop with a single core 1.6GHz CPU and 512MB of DDR RAM. Just let me know if anything can be improved if it can please.

Thank you for reading this, and all feedback is appreciated.
January 1, 2013 4:38:34 PM

For the gaming build the power supply you have is at the minimum, if he plans to do crossfire you should look at maybe a 650watt psu. And change out the hdd for a western digital black or a seagate barracuda. May I ask why you went with the i7 2600k if you dont have a z77 mobo?
m
l
January 1, 2013 5:26:36 PM

As previously stated, I have no experience with builds regarding Intel. Is the Z77 mandatory for an i7? A Z77 is way out of the price range.
m
l
Related resources
January 1, 2013 6:44:36 PM

JakeDogg777 said:
As previously stated, I have no experience with builds regarding Intel. Is the Z77 mandatory for an i7? A Z77 is way out of the price range.

It's not that a z77 is need for an i7 but because it is the "k" version means it is unlocked and is basically meant for overclocking and you need a z77 to over clock so you could save a couple dollars on the cpu and drop the k version.
m
l
January 1, 2013 7:03:00 PM

Also, there's no need for the gaming build to double the ram - he's NEVER going to use all those 8GB. (With Photoshop, battlefield 3, and 20 tabs in chrome, all at once and without a pagefile, my computer doesn't go above 7GB used.)

Also, the gaming fellow would be a LOT better off if he stopped worrying about how the computer LOOKS, and more about how it performs. I'd drop down to the cheapest ivy bridge i5 there is out there, and get as good of a GPU as I could - it's pretty much always extremely foolish to crossfire / SLI when there's a single card that performs better anyways. (Two cards at once causes a lot of issues, and doesn't work for a lot of games - meaning half the time he'd still be gaming on only one card.)
m
l
!