Shutdown Only Reboots My Computer

newfireorange

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Just built my third computer on 12/29/12. Everything is awesome except for shutting it down.
Check my specs below then read after for more info please.

RAM: SAMSUNG 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model MV-3V4G3/US

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

CPU Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel ...

SDD: SAMSUNG 840 Pro Series MZ-7PD128BW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Case: NZXT Phantom PHAN-002OR Black Finish w/Orange Trim Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 TH LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with Dual Thunderbolt

CPU: Ivy Bridge i5 3750K - De-lidded, Coolaboratory Ultra - Overclocked to 4.5 - Highest temperature 72C Intel Burn Test

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultra 2013 Mechanical

Mouse: Steelseries Sensei

No grapics card as of now. Playing WoW on good settings on a 42" 1080p flatscreen with about 25-55 FPS.

When I click shutdown, the computer tries and the screen goes black. It doesn't though follow through though. Case fans stay lit and it just reboots back to desktop after POST.

BUT, after the first attempt to shutdown (which ends in restart to desktop), my mouse turns off and becomes unresponsive. So, I tab through with my keyboard until I get to the shutdown button and try again a second time. This time, since the mouse is off, it shuts down properly.

Is my mouse the problem? I have tried different ports on the motherboard. All USB 3.0.
Here's the thing though, sometimes when I try to shutdown and it just reboots, it will fully reboot with the mouse active. I will have to try 2-3 times before mouse "shuts-off" then navigate through windows with my keyboard and shutdown properly.

Possibilities that I already checked and don't think are the problem:
1. "Wake On" settings in BIOS are all off. LAN, Mouse, Keyboard etc.
2. RAM timings and voltage are correct though BIOS.
3. This was happening for two days even before I overclocked the CPU.
4. BIOS updated to newest firmware.

Please give me your thoughts and advice.

I will select a best answer.

Solution
same thing happened to me after a bios update. the fix is to unplug the pc from the wall let the mb drain and then clear your cmos. most times it a glich in the cmos that causes the no shutdown issue.

newfireorange

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Tried what you said. No improvement. I figured out what it was. Steel Series Sensei mouse keeping computer awake. Wasn't playing well with my computer. Traded it in for a Razer Naga and it's all perfect. Shutsdown and boots perfectly.

Thanks for the input.