help with small business routers...

Last response: in Networking
May 26, 2005 10:27:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Business has 6 PCs. One four-port router goes to the DSL ISP, and has 4 PCs
and an uplink/WAN port in use. Second four-port router located in front
office has only 2 PCs on it and uplink to the other router, and access to
the world thru that router..

I did not program routers, nor did I install them. I know the whole setup is
192.168.1.# / 255.255.255.0. WinXP on all PCs except one of the two in the
front office is Win98SE. That's the one with a problem, others are fine.

Up until last week (when nothing special happened they can remember) all
worked fine, see each others, shared drives work etc. "All of a sudden (I
hate when clients say that!) the Win98SE PC can't see anybody, nor can it
get anywhere from inside Windows.

From the Command Prompt I can ping anything internal AND external by name or
IP. But from within Windows, with some jiggling (made up a login name and
forced her to use it, even tho it never happened before), it can now seethe
other internal PCs - the two on her network; others are in another
workgroup, and show up in "Entire Network" realm.

Don't like it but they can live with it, BUT...
The Windows98SE PC still cannot get anywhere on the Internet. It times out
way too quickly to be DNS; it's like Win doesn't know it has a network card
to work with, yet it sees local networks. Can't even find the IPS home page.
Can't find 192.168.1.1 which I am guessing is the router going out, as XP
shows it as a gateway.)

Suggestions?
NOTE: I CAN ping all these places, so the hardware seems to be working!. and
all other PCs work fine! Why this one? Only difference is 98SE...

Ann inPA

More about : small business routers

Anonymous
May 30, 2005 7:40:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

Anyone out there with ideas...sure is quiet on this group!
Ann
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 7:56:05 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.networking.connectivity (More info?)

If you're still looking for an answer, could be corrupted winsock. That's
thing I know of that match your symptoms (able to ping, but not able to
connect to sites). Quite a common problem in win 9x. Usually not the winsock
file itself but the winsock entries in the registry.
Fix usually entails ripping out network components in "network control
panel" then deleting specified entries in the registry (be careful). Do this
much without rebooting when prompted. after deleting the registry entries,
THEN reboot and reinstall the network components, including the adaptor and
the tcp/ip protocol (this will regenerate the clean registry entries).
Unfortunately it's been a while since I've done this, so I can't
specifically identify or map out the exact registry entries.... you will
need to research this.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 1:39:20 PM

pengulin wrote:
> If you're still looking for an answer, could be corrupted winsock. That's
> thing I know of that match your symptoms (able to ping, but not able to
> connect to sites). Quite a common problem in win 9x. Usually not the winsock
> file itself but the winsock entries in the registry.
> Fix usually entails ripping out network components in "network control
> panel" then deleting specified entries in the registry (be careful). Do this
> much without rebooting when prompted. after deleting the registry entries,
> THEN reboot and reinstall the network components, including the adaptor and
> the tcp/ip protocol (this will regenerate the clean registry entries).
> Unfortunately it's been a while since I've done this, so I can't
> specifically identify or map out the exact registry entries.... you will
> need to research this.

Can you ping an outside web site like Google either by IP address or by
its name. For Google that would be IP address 64.233.167.104 or
216.239.39.99 and to do it by name that would be www.google.com of
course. If you can ping the IP address put not the name then it is a DSN
issue.

--
Danny Kile
Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+