Vista on new HD problems, laptop

dstn321

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Hi, I'm not an expert; I rely on forum threads for everything I need to learn, but I can't find help for this specific problem. I'm actually hitting a wall on 2 different projects and have posted here on the other one too.

My niece, who loves to download crap and doesn't heed my warnings, gave me her dead HP Pavilion dv6000. After research, I replaced the HD with a compatible one, then used a Vista* ISO disk I created. It booted and started loading, then froze at the "loading files" stage. I made a 2nd ISO disk, same result. I put the unit away for several months and just started again.

I ran the HD and RAM tests from the BIOS and they passed. I ran memtest and it froze after about 20 hours at 84% with no errors.
I tried a UBCD disk, and now it just starts with a black screen or a splash screen but no response to F10 or anything else, no matter which boot disk I try. Sometimes it does nothing for awhile, then emits a loud, high-pitched beep that goes on until I shut it down.

I don't give up easily but there are obviously gaps in my knowledge and I'm going crazy. Can anyone guide me to a solution?

Here are the only specs I can find without going inside the laptop:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentdocname=c01448139&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3696823&tmp_track_link=ot_search

Thanks,
Auntie Doreen

*(I don't like Vista but wanted to keep it simple and put the same OS it had- I have the product key, and I can't afford a new OS anyway)

Solution
I think it's dead. Sorry. You might try removing one of the memory cards and see if it works then. Otherwise you may need a new motherboard....

dstn321

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011

Okay, I'll try Hirens, but these ISO files are a pain in the ***, I'm starting to wonder if they are the problem...? (I'm using CDBurnerXP and Sony disks). I'll post an update tonight, it will probably take awhile to download with our crappy Verizon internet connection here.

Thank you!

dstn321

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Okay, I tried Hiren's Boot Disk and it started with the splash screen, then it went black with the blinking curser in the upper left corner, beeped loudly until I hit ESC a few times, and remains with the blinking curser...nothing is loading. The Hiren's ISO checksums match.
Any ideas what it could be or what I might try next? Thank you...

dstn321

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2011
Okay I'm still at a loss: I tried with out one or the other memory sticks. My Vista ISO disk worked great on a different laptop. This one will not load anything from a disk (it is set to boot from CD). I get the Windows screen, then black and sometimes a screeching beep that won't stop until i shut it off. Anything else I can try before replacing a motherboard? I did get a hold of a laptop, same model, that works so I can swap parts if necessary. Thanks for any help...