PIO mode after ATAPI errors

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.development.device.drivers,microsoft.public.win32.programmer.kernel,microsoft.public.windowsxp.device_driver.dev,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi

When there is some sort of disk error in WindowsXP, the data transfer to the
IDE disk is set back to PIO mode.
The only way of doing a reset of this, is to remove Primary IDE controller
from the device manager (The only metode I know)
After the PnP has installed the IDE controller, the disk is back in UDMA
mode.

So, is there any other way of remove the use of PIO mode ??

Is it possible, somewhere in registry, to tell WIndows not to switch to PIO
mode on IDE problems ??

Thomas

Thomas Johansen wrote:
> Hi
>
> When there is some sort of disk error in WindowsXP, the data transfer to the
> IDE disk is set back to PIO mode.
> The only way of doing a reset of this, is to remove Primary IDE controller
> from the device manager (The only metode I know)
> After the PnP has installed the IDE controller, the disk is back in UDMA
> mode.
>
> So, is there any other way of remove the use of PIO mode ??
>
> Is it possible, somewhere in registry, to tell WIndows not to switch to PIO
> mode on IDE problems ??
>
> Thomas

If I recall correctly the registry is where this state information is
lodged. Figure out what is getting set where and clobber it back to what
it ought to be.

Here, this person has done all the work for you:
http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

On the other hand, what has gone wrong with your disk?

--

Mark Roddy DDK MVP